Forum › Side Effects

Adding Tirz to reduce Reta side effects

18 replies11 peopleAug 21, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

How can elevated resting heart rate from retatrutide be managed by adding tirzepatide or adjusting doses?

Users report that lowering the retatrutide dose while adding low-dose tirzepatide can gradually bring resting heart rate back toward baseline without losing the weight-loss benefits. Some switch entirely to tirzepatide or experiment with other combinations when the heart-rate increase feels too disruptive. Metabolic and lipid improvements from retatrutide are valued enough that most prefer to keep some of it rather than drop it completely. Stacking is described as common for balancing effects, though no clinical data on the combination exists.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some prefer keeping a small amount of retatrutide for its glucagon-driven benefits and milder appetite suppression, while others favor tirzepatide for better sleep and lower overall stimulation.

Still open

Whether the retatrutide-tirzepatide stack produces any rare long-term interactions remains unknown due to lack of formal studies.

Nothing here is advice.

18 replies · 11 people
LevelWillow62archiveopening postAug 21

Evening everyone. Been using Reta since February and the results have been impressive so far. Reached 8 mg but the jump in resting heart rate became hard to handle. Even light movement pushed my heart rate into the 105-112 range. Others add Tirz when progress stalls, yet my goal is to ease the glucagon-related sides from Reta. I lowered Reta to 6 mg and added 2-4 mg Tirz to keep the weight coming off. Only about twelve days into the change and resting heart rate is gradually improving. Has anyone else seen their resting heart rate climb more than ten beats above normal? What dosing or stacking changes helped? The shifts in my metabolic and lipid numbers have been striking, so I’d rather not drop Reta altogether.

PlainAnchor67archiveAug 21

There were entire days my heart rate stayed above 100 bpm. I stopped Reta completely and moved over to Tirzepatide instead.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 21

Once I reached my first goal weight I paused dosing until the 8 mg level had cleared after eleven days. The main aim was to let my system settle, especially resting heart rate. Sleep has improved and resting heart rate has eased a little. I’ve been combining with Sema but am considering switching that to Tirz. Might try adding elora depending on how the coming week goes.

ClearWillow59archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @LevelWillow62 (opening post)

Yes, I’m running Tirz and Reta on alternating days and using more Tirz than Reta because of the heart-rate problem. The combination has worked well for me.

LevelWillow62archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @ClearWillow59

Glad to see real experience from someone who dealt with the same issue. Thanks for the input.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 21

My average resting heart rate over the five years before Reta was 63 according to Apple data. Last full dose was 8/3 and a reduced one on 8/14. Only once did the resting heart rate feel bothersome, on a stressful workday with extra caffeine, 8/6. You can basically see the stress spike in the numbers.

LevelWillow62archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @LevelThistle44

This lines up with my own experience. I seem more sensitive than most to the resting heart rate changes. Had to cut out caffeine entirely because it kept my heart rate near 110 for hours afterward. Too bad, since I really enjoy that morning coffee.

SteadySparrow75archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @LevelWillow62

I also can’t handle meaningful amounts of caffeine anymore. Even a watered-down morning coffee was pushing my blood pressure up noticeably. Before the weight loss my BP had crept higher than usual, and the morning readings showed clear spikes. Once I stopped coffee and kept losing weight on Tirz, BP returned to the excellent range.

LevelSignal24archiveAug 21

I’ve gone back and forth between Reta alone and Tirz alone a few times. On Reta I still feel some hunger but get full after a normal portion, which I think helps preserve muscle. On Tirz I feel calmer and sleep better, yet food can seem almost repulsive. That lack of interest was great at first, but at maintenance it matters not to push calories too low and slow metabolism. Stacking might offer a middle ground, though I’ve kept things simple so far.

SteadySparrow75archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @LevelSignal24

I started a Tirz and Reta stack five weeks ago for exactly those reasons. I’m eight pounds from goal weight, though where I am now would be acceptable. Curious about how the food noise and glucagon effects compare, plus I already have a lot of Reta on hand and wanted to test the combination.

ClearBramble68archiveAug 21

One thing worth watching as it becomes available is eloralintide. One reported effect is a reduction in resting heart rate, so pairing it with Reta could help balance things nicely.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @LevelWillow62

Before any GLP-1s I was taking around 600 mg of caffeine daily with little issue. After starting the medications I skipped it for a couple of months. Now I stay between zero and 300 mg a day. On that stressful day I probably had 600-750 mg and that was the first time the elevated heart rate really bothered me. Got an Oura notification about it this afternoon. Elora is on the way and should arrive next week. Depending on how weight responds when moving from 8 mg to 12 mg, I might add Cag or Elora. Still have about twenty pounds to lose, started at 282 and now at 199, aiming near 180.

GreyLedger42archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @ClearWillow59

I’m just beginning the same stack with more Tirz than Reta, dosing each every six days but three days apart.

GreyLedger42archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @ClearBramble68

I thought Cagri was stronger for appetite control. Does it not lower resting heart rate as well?

RustSignal76archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

From what I saw, Cagri’s impact on resting heart rate was considered clinically insignificant, while Elora studies showed drops of 7-14 bpm.

CopperSignal27archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @LevelWillow62 (opening post)

Adding Tirz while keeping the same Reta dose may ease some GI sides thanks to stronger GIP activity, but it won’t change the heart-rate effect coming from Reta. That would need a lower Reta dose swapped for a comparable or slightly higher Tirz dose. GIP itself doesn’t appear to affect heart rate, GLP-1 raises it modestly, and glucagon raises it more, though individual responses vary widely. Tirz produces similar lipid changes, but Reta seems better at cutting liver fat. Stacking the two is fairly common for balancing benefits and sides. No published research exists on the combination, yet nothing obvious suggests a problem. Plenty of people online are already doing it, which at least hints that any unusual rare effects aren’t widespread. I did well on Tirz at 15 mg and appreciated the lack of sides after a year of nausea on lower doses.

LevelWillow62archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @CopperSignal27

Yes, cutting Reta and bringing in Tirz is what I had in mind. As an aside, I’ve heard Tirz tends to cause less bloating.

ClearWillow59archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

I used a three-day spacing for a while and it worked smoothly. Later moved to four days when I began lowering the overall dose.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.