Forum › Side Effects

Sulphur burps 11 weeks in

13 replies10 peopleSep 7, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

How to stop sulfur burps while taking tirzepatide or retatrutide

Users report sulfur burps appearing after 2-4 months on these meds, often after eating richer food or drinking carbonated drinks. Several found temporary relief from probiotics, cutting eggs or zero-soda intake, or using acid reducers, while others noted the issue resolved on its own after a week or two. Slowed digestion is widely suspected as the root cause, allowing gas from gut bacteria to build up.

What this discussion establishesStill open

Whether the burps are mainly from diet, microbiome shift, or the drug itself, and which remedy works reliably for most people

Nothing here is advice.

13 replies · 10 people
QuietThistle78archiveopening postSep 7

Eleven weeks into tirz and this morning a big gulp of sparkling water set off sulfur burps. They got so bad I had to leave work after an hour. Plain bread, water, and tea calmed them for a couple of hours but they returned. I hate smelling like rotten eggs and worry nothing I eat will stop them. No Pepto Bismol available where I live. Pickle juice only helped briefly. Any suggestions?

RustAnchor27archiveSep 7

Sorry to hear that. Can you find NeoBianacid where you are? It helped me with other stomach problems.

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 7

I take peppermint gels with my morning and evening supplements.

LevelAnchor55archiveSep 7

Had you eaten more than usual the day before? That always set mine off.

QuietThistle78archiveSep 7
↳ replying to @LevelAnchor55

Yes, I had cake and two slices of pizza yesterday without thinking much of it. Woke up like this and it's miserable.

QuietThistle78archiveSep 7
↳ replying to @RustAnchor27

I can pick some up. Thanks for the tip.

LevelAnchor55archiveSep 7
↳ replying to @QuietThistle78

That lines up with what happened to me, though I had eaten even larger amounts. They usually lasted a day or two at most.

IronLantern24archiveSep 7
↳ replying to @QuietThistle78 (opening post)

Sulfur burps are the worst side effect for me on reta. An acidophilus probiotic once a day keeps them away as long as I stay consistent. Bismuth subsalicylate works in the short term too.

LevelKettle69archiveSep 7

Mine started about four months in. Stopping eggs helped a little and cutting back on zero sodas finally ended them. I figure the slowed digestion lets things sit and ferment.

AmberMeadow57archiveSep 7

Same problem led to reflux after three months. A morning dose of Controloc settled it for me.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 8

They lasted a week or two then disappeared. I was eating lots of eggs but my diet hadn't changed much. It has to be hydrogen sulfide from bacteria fermenting sulfur amino acids higher up because of slow emptying. Changing fiber intake, trying probiotics, or using a PPI if there's reflux might help, though nothing specific worked for me before they stopped on their own.

SlowLantern29archiveSep 8

Sounds like a microbiome issue. Lots of vegetables, fiber, and kefir as a probiotic source could help.

PatientWillow63archiveSep 14

I had them occasionally before tirz but the drug makes them more frequent. Lactose is the trigger for me, so I just avoid it now that it sits longer in my stomach.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.