Forum › Injection Technique

Venting Question

29 replies19 peopleSep 19, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

should you vent peptide vials to release vacuum during reconstitution and drawing

Users report that vacuum causes fast inflow and fizzing on reconstitution plus plunger pullback on drawing. Most equalize pressure by adding air with the syringe before drawing or by briefly venting with a needle. Several note that foaming from rapid addition or shaking does not reduce potency, and venting or adding air introduces the same room air either way.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

whether removing air from the peptide vial to transfer into the BAC vial risks contamination versus simply drawing fresh room air

Nothing here is advice.

29 replies · 19 people
PlainBeacon63archiveopening postSep 19

The vacuum in the vials causes problems for me during reconstitution and drawing. It pulls the BAC water in fast, causing fizzing. Drawing is inaccurate because the plunger gets sucked back. Should I vent to release the vacuum, or keep it for preservation or another purpose?

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 19

For adding the water I do not worry much. Angle the needle toward the side so it does not hit the powder straight on, though the issue is smaller than some claim. For drawing, inject the same amount of air into the vial first. Some disagree, yet it seems no different from venting. Rarely I have pulled the plunger out of the syringe after adding BAC to release pressure, but usually I just add air with each dose instead.

BlueAlder28archiveSep 19

When adding water I angle the needle so the BAC hits the wall and mixes gently. The vacuum pulls it in slowly so I barely push the plunger. With luer-lock I pop the syringe off afterward to let the needle equalize the vial to room pressure. Before drawing I add air equal to the volume I plan to remove. Even when drawing straight with insulin syringes I still added air first, because without it air will eventually bubble through the stopper anyway; controlling the amount and timing is cleaner.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19

I draw the right amount of BAC into a 3 ml syringe, grip it firmly with the plunger against the webbing of my hand, and insert at an angle near the vial wall. The vacuum starts pulling the liquid down the side even with a tight hold, so I usually just ease my grip until the plunger bottoms out. A sudden rush probably does no harm, but this way keeps it controlled.

WarmMeadow92archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

I also angle the needle but keep a hand on the plunger to avoid an uncontrolled rush. Seeing the vacuum still pulling water in reassures me the seal held. For drawing I see little difference between a vent needle and injecting air with a syringe; both let the same room air in unless the vent is filtered.

IronLantern24archiveSep 19

I do not think it matters much if the powder gets hit and foams. It has never seemed to hurt the quality of anything I have used.

GreenKettle64archiveSep 19

I heard on a podcast that shaking vials does not affect peptide quality. They may foam and take time to settle, but tests after shaking showed no change.

SharpCinder28archiveSep 19

Only with one HGH vial did I see permanent foam after mixing, which is unusual. As a test I shook a cagri vial hard every day and the foam always disappeared later.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 19

If air has to enter, that shows the vacuum held. Venting or pushing air in with a syringe is the same. Often air leaks in anyway when the syringe comes out. Just let air in when needed.

CopperAlder25archiveSep 19

I vent first, then add water while the vent stays in. With my first peptide I did not realize there was vacuum, water rushed in fast, and potency was unaffected. Now I vent just in case.

ClearQuill84archiveSep 19

I always vent during reconstitution. The first time I skipped it some vials turned cloudy, especially one peptide when cold from the fridge, clearing again at room temperature. After I started venting the clouding stopped.

QuietThistle70archiveSep 19

I draw the measured BAC into a 3 ml syringe, then pull the plunger farther to the 3 ml mark so the total air plus liquid equals 3 ml. Adding this to the powder vial creates slight positive pressure that makes later withdrawal easier. After it dissolves I withdraw, filter, and load a vented pen cartridge. The added air is filtered later so I do not worry, and the pen has no headspace once purged.

WarmMeadow92archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

How do you like your peptides? Shaken, not stirred.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @WarmMeadow92

Now the 007 theme will play in my head every time I pin.

SharpCinder77archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @PlainBeacon63 (opening post)

Venting does no harm. I usually remove some air before adding liquid and add air before removing liquid. For a 2 ml reconstitution I pull 1 ml air from the peptide vial into the BAC vial, draw 1 ml BAC and inject it, repeat the air step, then finish adding the rest. When drawing a dose I pull the desired units, inject air into the vial, then draw the dose. This keeps pressure mostly neutral.

WarmMeadow92archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

That method is interesting. You move air from the peptide vial into the BAC vial first, then repeat. Is the double step only because of the 1 ml syringe size? Removing air first would seem to strengthen the vacuum, then adding liquid brings it back, so overall pressure stays close to the original rather than truly neutral. Also, moving air between vials risks carrying something into the BAC supply if it is used for many reconstitutions.

SharpCinder77archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @WarmMeadow92

The air does not have to come from the peptide vial, though I see no problem with it. Pressure changes are temporary and the added liquid balances them. This is the technique taught in nursing school and used in hospitals, so I continued it for research. Once a vial is reconstituted, injecting 5 ml air before drawing lets the pressure push the solution out without pulling the plunger.

WarmAnchor55archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

That process has a name: big no-no. Reusing the same syringe and needle between vials is not advisable. After a dozen vials the BAC could easily pick up something unwanted.

SharpCinder77archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

I normally use 3 ml syringes and blunt needles for reconstitution because they are faster. The 1 ml example was just to match what most others use. Reusing the same BAC water for months is what leads to cloudiness. As long as you swab and work cleanly there is little risk, and I did not mean to reuse one syringe for both reconstitution and later injections. The original question was only about managing pressure, not a full guide.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

I keep using the same 30 ml BAC until it is gone, which can take months. I never put a syringe that has touched anything else into it.

WarmAnchor55archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

I was replying to your post, not the original question. After reading it again it looks like you move the same syringe back and forth between vials multiple times. That is what concerns me. Maybe I misread it.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

I am fine with adding air to keep pressure even, but given the choice between pulling air from inside a peptide vial or just drawing fresh room air where I am working, the room air seems preferable.

ClearAnchor13archiveSep 19

Every time I need to equalize the pressure I reach for a needle that still lacks its protective cover.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SharpCinder77

I was going to write a longer reply but that is enough. You are now on the list with the others. No need to respond further.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @ClearAnchor13

Why waste needles, or is it syringes?

ClearAnchor13archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

I will use the same needle for reconstitution.

WarmSparrow33archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

I do the same. If I forget and it rushes in faster I do not worry. It has never changed how the peptide works.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @WarmSparrow33

Exactly. The first few times the syringe gets yanked in like a truck with no brakes and you think it is ruined, yet everything turns out fine. Still, I prefer the slow flow down the inner wall when I can manage it.

WarmAnchor55archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Turd burglar, hahaha, almost spit out my drink.

Oddly I started a similar thread elsewhere the day after this one. The replies there reached the same conclusion: do not worry about the vacuum pulling the liquid in, and equalize pressure with syringe air before each draw.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.