Forum › Reconstitution & Math

Reconstitution Question

8 replies7 peopleAug 25, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Can you use 1ml syringes multiple times to add 3ml of BAC water when reconstituting, or do you need a larger syringe and dedicated needles?

Most participants say the same 1ml syringe can be used three times without issue since the vial stopper will be punctured many more times anyway. Others prefer 3ml or 5ml syringes with 23g needles to reduce punctures and contamination risk, especially when drawing from larger BAC bottles. Dedicated recon supplies are viewed as convenient but not essential. Storage and handling practices vary based on personal setups.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether extra punctures meaningfully increase contamination risk or if dedicated larger syringes are worth having

Nothing here is advice.

8 replies · 7 people
LevelHarbour68archiveopening postAug 25

I'm planning to begin with KLOW soon and will put 3ml of BAC water into the vial. I already have syringes marked up to 1ML each -- do I need a larger one or can I just draw from the BAC water three times with the same syringe during reconstitution?

NorthFenwick23archiveAug 25

I just use the 1ml three times

ClearKettle65archiveAug 25

You can, though that creates extra punctures and raises the chance of contamination. A 3mL syringe simplifies the process and you will also need transfer needle or needles. Typical thicknesses are 23, 25 or 27 gauge. Those sizes pull BAC water fast yet stay thin enough not to damage the vial stopper. Lengths of 1 inch or 1.5 inches work well, with the longer option reaching the bottom of bigger diluent vials when transferring.

ClearTimber11archiveAug 25
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour68 (opening post)

Yes, the same syringe is fine. You will puncture the vial stopper at least twenty times anyway, so two additional ones make no real difference.

BrightSparrow36archiveAug 25

I picked up some 3ml 23 gauge needles specifically for reconstituting. Other options probably exist, but these work. I have also used insulin needles for recon and done multiple punctures. It probably does not matter much, yet having some dedicated recon syringes is convenient.

PlainAlder11archiveAug 25

I use 3ml and 5ml luer syringes with 1 inch and 1.5 inch 23g luer lock needles. The longer ones are for pulling the reconstituted fluid out and filtering it into a fresh vial. I acquired them in larger quantities. There is no reason to spend heavily on recon supplies.

NorthWillow72archiveAug 25
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

I do not like pulling wet needles out of vials and then dipping them again into a BAC bottle, especially a large one that will be used over time. You already saved a lot on the peps. Get some 3ml or 5ml syringes for recon.

NorthWillow72archiveAug 25

I agree. It seemed pointless to stock up on peps without a way to handle them. I keep a two year supply.

PlainAlder11archiveAug 26

I store mine in a garage cabinet. The BAC stays in the spare laundry room cabinet. It stays much cooler in there than outside, especially at this time of year.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.