Forum › Gear & Supplies

Ultra-low temp freezer

54 replies15 peopleSep 18, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

how cold does a freezer need to be for long-term peptide storage and is ultra-low temperature worth the cost

Participants agree that anything at or below -20 °C works for multi-year storage in a non-frost-free unit, with colder temperatures offering only marginal extra stability. Most conclude that standard consumer freezers already deliver the practical benefit and that ultra-low units add expense and power draw without clear payoff for typical stockpiles. Several users report running small chest freezers at -20 to -40 °C with acceptable results and low yearly electricity cost when packed full.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

whether material degradation at -20 °C could eventually trigger immune reactions versus remaining harmless while frozen

Still open

actual shelf life beyond three to five years at any temperature

Nothing here is advice.

54 replies · 15 people · page 1 of 2
BrightCinder50archiveopening postSep 18

Anyone here running an ultra-low freezer around -123 °F? I have been thinking about buying one but the expense makes me hesitate since high cost was the main reason I started looking at grey-market options to begin with.

GreyLedger42archiveSep 18

I keep a -40 freezer. Most guidance says -20 or colder is enough for long-term storage. I found mine online for a couple hundred dollars.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

I have looked at that route too. From what I calculated, -20 °C might give one to two years of stability and -40 °C maybe two to three, while ultra-low temps used in labs could stretch it to three to five years. There are no actual studies though, so it is all guesswork.

GreyLedger42archiveSep 18

The last thing I read, I forget the source, claimed that once you are below -20 anything colder counts as indefinite storage provided the unit is not frost-free.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

Those numbers were in Celsius, so -20 °C equals -4 °F.

GreyLedger42archiveSep 18

Mine hits -40, which happens to be the same number on both scales.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18

Right. Mine only reaches -20 °F and I usually run it between -15 and -17 °F.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

Not sure indefinite storage is realistic at any temperature. These compounds have not been around long enough for proper data. Still, -40 should keep them viable for a very long time. My worry is that after a few years the material might lose potency or, worse, cause sensitivity or an allergic reaction if it has broken down.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18

I would like to know how much electricity one of those draws.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

That was my main concern. I ran the numbers on the smallest model I could find and it came to roughly two hundred dollars a year on paper, probably more in practice. Spending that much on power for only a couple extra years of shelf life does not seem worth it, especially when I would want fresh testing after that long anyway. I might still try one just to see how far I can push the stability, for my own curiosity.

KeenThistle61archiveSep 18

I picked up a compact 10-quart model that can run on 12 volts or house power and reaches about -4 °F. It is not frost-free and stays between roughly 0.5 and -4 °F according to the sensor I placed inside. It holds three large insulated containers, about 180 vials with the inserts. I keep it in the crawl space and the containers further reduce temperature swings to around -2 °F.

LevelThistle44archiveSep 18

The real-world difference between roughly 0 °F and -40 °F seems questionable, and the milder temperature is far easier to maintain. Signed, someone who already holds multiple ounces of these materials. If a two-thousand-dollar unit actually mattered I would probably own two for backup.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

On the highest setting and our current rate, my small 1.1-cubic-foot unit works out to about sixty dollars a year. Other people report thirty to thirty-five dollars, though that feels low. I am running it a few degrees below its maximum and will check actual usage once the weather cools.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

If it were me I would fill the empty space with water bottles. They improve efficiency while the compressor runs and help hold temperature longer during an outage. I do the same thing with my garage unit.

QuietPebble47archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

You just activated another math enthusiast. That really is the single point where the two temperature scales meet.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @LevelThistle44

I have seen lab freezers described as running anywhere from -20 °C to -50 °C. My own two-cubic-foot chest unit sits at -22 °C all the time and that is the extent of the science I am willing to track. If a vial can sit in someone’s garage for ten years and still test nearly full strength, then what I have should keep future supplies close to full potency.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

I already have a whole-house generator, but the water-bottle idea is still useful.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

My plan is simply to pack the unit full of product so there is less air space to lose cold. You might consider the same approach.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Filling it also lowers the power needed to maintain temperature once everything is cold.

LevelThistle44archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

That story was about a different compound. The physics do not line up with the claim being made here.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 18

Why stop at ultra-low? Absolute zero is only -273.15 °C after all.

CopperPebble16archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @LevelThistle44

That claim was overstated and contradicted by plenty of existing evidence. The testing only measured purity, not the stability issues that actually appear in lyophilized material. The same source also suggested reconstituting with plain sterile water because the preserved version is not common in their region. Keep in mind this is someone without formal biopharma training running an uncertified lab.

CopperPebble16archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

-80 °C sits below the glass-transition temperature of known peptide formulations, so degradation essentially stops. Going even colder slows the tiny remaining rate only a little more. The jump from -20 °C to -80 °C cuts degradation dramatically, but another sixty degrees adds almost nothing noticeable except over decades. For a multi-year stockpile the extra cold can still make sense.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

It is overkill. One of the less stable compounds stayed fine after years in an ordinary freezer according to available tests. My own unit is set to -25 °C and that appears adequate for long-term needs.

LevelTimber64archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

I have heard of lining the bottom and sides with gel packs and then another layer on top of the stored items.

LevelTimber64archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Do you know where that interview can be found? I have not been able to locate it.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @LevelTimber64

It came from another user’s post in this thread.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18

That is the exact model I was looking at. The current price is around twelve hundred.

CopperLantern92archiveSep 18

I own three ultra-low units. One came from overseas and I used to run it at -120 °F but now keep it at -85 °F. The other two were bought online and reach about -49 °F even though rated for -40. I also have a milder unit at -18 °F for anything I plan to use within a year. Wireless sensors let me watch all of them and alert me to problems, and I have a backup generator for outages.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

At some point you hit diminishing returns, but even a few extra percent of stability can still matter.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

My point exactly. The gap between -25 °C and -40 °C looks small over two or three years. A little extra product would probably cover any difference. I am mainly focused on the less stable compounds and the data suggest they hold up fine at -25 °C.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @LevelThistle44

Now I am confused. I always thought a full freezer helped both efficiency and outage protection, and a friend agrees. Am I missing something?

BrightCinder50archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

Any degraded material could in theory make the immune system develop an allergy, even if the chance is low. Would you use a vial that tested at only 95 percent? I would not.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

All right, I will look for small water bottles then. I am not spending that much on a small freezer.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

That reaction is not going to occur if the material stays frozen.

LevelTimber64archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Thanks, I watched it. I still wanted to hear the full interview myself.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @LevelTimber64

I only heard about it second-hand from another poster, so I would not repeat it as fact.

LevelTimber64archiveSep 19

There has supposedly been an interview for about a year but I cannot locate it. I appreciate that you avoid passing along third-party claims.

IronLantern24archiveSep 19

Is anything below -20 really necessary?

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @LevelTimber64

Are you going through the whole thread checking every third-party claim?

LevelTimber64archiveSep 19

It is you, always you.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @IronLantern24

The thread has some information on that, but I am comfortable with the steady -22 °C my thermometer shows.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 19

What about adding a little liquid nitrogen?

NorthWillow72archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Would renting space be an option for you?

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

I have read about that facility. It sounds like a worthwhile project. That said, I have a few kits I might ask them about.

LevelThistle44archiveSep 19
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Thermal mass does act like a battery and slows how fast the average temperature changes. It does not improve the insulation itself, so heat still transfers at the same rate. A fuller unit may cycle less often but the compressor has to run longer each time to bring everything back down. The part about air spilling out when the door opens is correct because air is part of the thermal mass. In the battery analogy, a larger battery keeps the lights on longer but still needs the same charging time afterward. Clear as mud?

GreyFenwick29archiveSep 19

An ultra-low freezer is unnecessary. Just put long-term stock in a sealed insulated container inside a normal freezer and use the saved money to buy more product.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.