Forum › Results & Progress

Anyone else mildly offended by the “Too much Weight Loss” comments? Tell me your best ones you have heard!!

36 replies24 peopleSep 17, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

why do people say you've lost too much weight or look unhealthy after major weight loss

The thread shows many people who dropped substantial weight now hear comments like they look sick, too skinny, or should stop losing. Some see this as shifted norms where overweight is viewed as standard, while others note that infrequent observers react more strongly than daily contacts. A few receive only positive feedback or nothing at all, and several choose not to comment on anyone else's body.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

whether noticeable weight loss should prompt any comment at all, or if silence is always preferable

Still open

how to respond when comments feel intrusive or envious

Nothing here is advice.

36 replies · 24 people
SharpAnchor47archiveopening postSep 17

Anyone else get a bit annoyed when folks say things like you must have stopped eating or look like you need a solid meal or might blow away if you lose more or ask if you have cancer. I went from 306 down to 140 over ten years with the last stretch before my son's wedding. At five foot six and thirty nine I'm just aiming for my best health but now it feels like judgment for being too thin instead of too heavy. What are the wildest remarks that made you do a double take.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 17

Those sound like the usual suspects. How much skinnier are you trying to get or you look like you've already lost plenty. For the record I'm sitting at a normal BMI of twenty three point four.

IronKettle95archiveSep 17

One remark that stayed with me came from another person who struggles with weight. They noticed my early progress on the medication before I could see it myself and offered genuine congratulations. Their positive intent made it land well and I still think about it. I avoid commenting on anyone else's size because I rarely spot the differences anyway.

GreenBramble47archiveSep 17

At a BMI of twenty one my girlfriend compared me to Christian Bale in The Machinist.

QuietThistle70archiveSep 17

From an older guy's view our idea of normal weight has drifted because carrying extra pounds is now common. I still hear I'm too skinny even though my BMI sits at twenty six and body fat around twenty percent. I'm content where I am and not skinny by any measure so maybe everyone's calibration is off.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @QuietThistle70

Part of it might come from not seeing someone day to day. I didn't register big shifts in the mirror because I looked often but old photos now look surprising by comparison.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 17

I haven't run into negative remarks. Occasional encounters bring positive or even complimentary reactions and questions about how it happened. I share the straightforward version of medication plus fasting. People who see me less often seem genuinely supportive. Starting at one hundred twenty kilos down to eighty five at one meter seventy seven and fifty seven years old I had to change course or risk not reaching old age. When asked how much further I plan to go I say until abs show or age seventy five whichever arrives first. Old pictures still shock me too.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 17

After eighty pounds down the feedback has stayed positive with most just asking if I've lost weight and expressing disbelief at the total. I carried it in a way that hid it from others but I knew. A couple others on similar medications seem unable to ease off and one acquaintance wondered if they had anorexia. It's possible some now view a healthy weight as too low after extended use and fear losing control over food. I keep those thoughts private but it concerns me.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 17

Down thirty five pounds and nearing goal yet hardly anyone has mentioned it. Thirty five pounds ought to show right.

IronKettle44archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @GreenBramble47

That comparison is pretty rough. The crash approach Bale took for the role was extreme.

IronKettle44archiveSep 17

I had already dropped a good amount before adding the medication which brought another fifteen pounds for a total of fifty five. Everyone I know now never saw the heavier version so comments are rare. As a self deprecating joke I still say I'm a fat guy at heart and the room goes quiet. That nickname fits the old me too.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 17

I guess a new pair of boots is in my future.

SteadyTimber49archiveSep 17

I hear plenty of you're finished now right or don't lose any more or is this healthy or you'll end up looking like Kelly Osbourne. I'm not that thin but my face does look a bit drawn. Five foot four forty four year old female at one hundred twenty eight pounds.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Does anyone else picture our friends that way too.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Sure but which one is which for extra points.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Would need a leg shot to decide for sure.

GreenPebble13archiveSep 18

Folks who see me daily noticed some change months back. When mixed with people who haven't seen me in a while they react strongly and it gets awkward. I'm maybe ten pounds lighter than a few years ago when I was active and fasting but now muscle is lower after time away from the gym. I had reached two hundred seven and sit at one hundred sixty six at five foot eight.

WryBramble37archiveSep 18

I often get told I'm too skinny for my age. My usual reply is that I'm also too healthy for my age. I go by the numbers and how I feel to judge whether I'm too thin.

SteadyAnchor31archiveSep 18

I remind myself that people want you to succeed but not surpass them. Give them the finger and keep going. Better an empty spot in your life than a difficult person.

BlueFenwick71archiveSep 18

I wish anyone would notice or say something. The silence is discouraging.

IronKettle95archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BlueFenwick71

Even if I spotted a change I wouldn't mention it because it's not my place. Someone recently told me they lost one hundred pounds and I congratulated them yet couldn't see any difference since I only see them yearly and they remain very large. Changes aren't always obvious.

BlueFenwick71archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @IronKettle95

Maybe they're just being polite but a simple you look good would be nice.

PlainCompass54archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BlueFenwick71

Same thing happened after my first fifty pounds until I recalled that many now treat body comments as rude so I stopped worrying. Once at goal a few started saying I'm too skinny though I'm squarely in the healthy BMI range. Doctors confirmed I'm not too thin. When people are used to someone heavy a normal weight can seem drastic. Going forward I'll say I'm not comfortable discussing my body.

NorthKettle51archiveSep 18

My favorite is my mother calling my face gaunt. It's mostly jealousy. She's still carrying extra weight and the medication isn't working well for her while I lost one hundred sixty pounds in two years so she only has snarky remarks. I just let it roll off.

GreenPebble13archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BlueFenwick71

It can feel awkward for many to bring up so they stay quiet even if they notice. The last thing anyone wants is drawing room wide attention to someone's weight change.

IronBramble31archiveSep 18

Not bothered at all. Sir Mix A Lot said it best and the jealous ones just want some too.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @IronBramble31

He helped popularize the hourglass shape during the heroin chic era though many took it as celebrating bigger builds. The lines about a small waist and strong curves plus little in the middle but plenty in back make that clear.

BrightMeadow15archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

I had a similar experience and later realized the workplace was toxic and those people weren't real friends. Not claiming that's your case but avoiding body comments is respectful since you never know the cause. Thirty five pounds should register for most people per the paper towel effect. Asking one trusted friend might open the door safely and give useful input.

BrightMeadow15archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Thirty six twenty four thirty six only if she's five three. As part of the bubble butt group I appreciate his viewpoint.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @BrightMeadow15

He may have helped launch J Lo's career.

GreyThistle69archiveSep 18

Now that song is stuck in my head. Down sixty eight point five pounds today and only two people have said anything. Digging through old smaller clothes I kept is keeping me going and pants that won't stay up is a good problem.

RustQuill56archiveSep 18

I hate to say it but after ninety five pounds in a year and a half I'm wondering why only my husband ever comments. I've waited forever for someone to call me skinny. Started at two hundred sixty five now around one hundred seventy.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 18

No offense taken here because lifting keeps me from looking like a stick. I do find it funny when people warn against certain medications while they pay top dollar for beef tallow raw milk and untested supplements.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 21

Can we add a cup size to that first thirty six. It changes things.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.