Forum › Dosing & Titration

Anyone else suffer from low iron (ferritin)?

21 replies10 peopleSep 20, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

How do people cope with chronically low ferritin and what results do they see from supplements versus infusions?

Multiple users report starting with very low ferritin readings and slow or no improvement on daily oral iron despite months of use. Some switched to alternate-day dosing or different forms and saw better uptake, while others moved to infusions for faster gains that lasted several months. Underlying causes such as reflux medication, hormone therapy, or possible gut bleeding were mentioned as reasons levels stay low, and several stressed the need to investigate why iron is dropping rather than treating the number alone.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some participants believe certain supplement forms absorb far better than standard ones while others report no difference until they received an infusion; a few doctors reportedly dismissed newer forms entirely.

Still open

Whether repeat infusions will be needed long-term or if any single change can keep levels stable without ongoing intervention.

Nothing here is advice.

21 replies · 10 people
SharpBramble80archiveopening postSep 20

I've dealt with insufficient iron levels throughout my life, only figuring out the cause lately. Initial bloodwork showed ferritin at 14. Began oral supplements, but after nearly a year, levels rose just to 30, still at the low end of acceptable. Not sufficient yet. Physician sent me for intravenous treatment scheduled shortly. Following that, aim to keep stable using tablets. Wonder if others experience persistent low ferritin. Has it impacted everyday living similarly? Those who've received infusions, what improvements occurred, duration of benefits, and success maintaining via tablets or requiring more infusions?

AmberMeadow57archiveSep 20

Back in February my ferritin was 6 and I felt tired constantly. I began supplements along with vitamin C, B vitamins and copper plus more iron-rich foods and reached 50. If pills don't work an infusion is another option.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 20

Iron is hard to supplement because absorption is so low and the pills themselves feel unpleasant. I was severely anemic and eventually needed an IV to deliver more iron in one go than months of pills could provide.

GreenMeadow54archiveSep 20

I began at 20 and took 100 mg every other day for three months but ended at 16, so it didn't help. The two main choices now are a specific protocol or infusions. I'm leaning toward an infusion because the protocol sounds difficult and I'm doubtful it will work after the earlier dose failed. The protocol is said to last one to three months while an infusion may last seven to nine. Without fixing why levels are low, repeats will probably be needed. Acid reflux meds and hormone treatment might be contributing factors. A colonoscopy didn't solve it even after polyps were removed. I never thought I had fatigue but lately realize I'm pushing through workouts mostly by willpower.

AmberSignal47archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

Can you explain what you mean by risky here?

BrightCinder50archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @AmberSignal47

It can leak from veins and stain skin or trigger severe reactions that are sometimes fatal. My doctor said the procedure has improved and serious reactions are rarer now, though they kept me overnight for monitoring. Everything went fine and my iron has stayed good since.

NorthAnchor58archiveSep 20

You should get checked for possible blood loss somewhere. I recently switched to a different iron form hoping for less stomach upset and better uptake. My doctor wouldn't approve an infusion until I tried pills for a full year.

SharpBramble80archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @AmberMeadow57

Yours was even lower than mine. Mine was around 14 in January and after ten months on pills I only reached the low end at 30.

SharpBramble80archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @NorthAnchor58

I'm looking into that too. I also switched to the gentler form. Have you come across a particular brand sold online?

SharpBramble80archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

My doctor is arranging an IV within the next couple of months. It was new information to me.

PatientPebble79archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @NorthAnchor58

Same here. I hadn't been anemic before starting the medication because I wasn't eating enough. I used iron during pregnancy and it was rough, but this version doesn't bother me.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @SharpBramble80 (opening post)

Low iron is just a test result, not a diagnosis, so the reason behind it needs to be found. Common causes include menstrual blood loss or low dietary intake, but in men or outside certain age groups further checks are usually required to rule out slow gut bleeding or other issues. Long-standing low levels can point to conditions like gluten intolerance that sometimes go undiagnosed for decades. Investigating the cause is as important as raising the number itself.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 21

What iron supplement are you currently using? Older types absorb poorly. A different form may be worth considering.

RustLantern55archiveSep 21

Thanks for starting this. I really need to get my levels checked. I've always been low and lately have very heavy periods, fainting spells, and can barely get out of bed except when the kids need me. It's exhausting.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 21

Talk with your doctor about which iron pill you're taking. Many still recommend older versions with low absorption. Even though a better form is available over the counter, ask specifically and have the doctor look into it. I'm not promoting any product, just noting the difference in how well it works.

SharpBramble80archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @RustLantern55

I noticed the pun. The drop in quality of life really adds up, and low iron connects to many other problems.

SharpBramble80archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

I've been on the gentler form for the past ten months. Someone earlier mentioned another option and I'm looking into it before switching.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 21

Ask your doctor about trying every-other-day dosing. Some people who don't respond to daily use start to improve when they switch to that schedule. The lower strength taken every other day is one approach worth discussing. If levels rise then, the issue may be solved.

SharpBramble80archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

I just began every-other-day dosing after my last labs. The next test is in December but I don't want to wait that long because my energy at work and home is suffering. I still requested the IV so I can raise levels now and then try to hold them with a better supplement.

NorthAnchor58archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @SharpBramble80

That form is simply the branded version of the same compound from a particular lab. Any good brand of the same type should work similarly. Most heme-iron products aren't worth trying. I'm scheduled for a third scope this year to check something seen on the last one that might explain ongoing loss. Hopefully it resolves the problem.

NorthAnchor58archiveSep 21
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

Three doctors I spoke with only knew the standard sulfate version and seemed surprised I was using anything else. One specialist even insisted higher-dose tablets were the only option available. They know I'm also on acid-reducing medication that can make the standard form absorb even worse. I found the alternative on my own after a year on the usual pills left my levels lower than when I started.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 22
↳ replying to @NorthAnchor58

At that point you bring your own information to the appointment. Doctors are required to keep learning but many just pay for credits without actually absorbing the material, then renew their license anyway.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.