Forum › Food & Appetite

Binge Eating Disorder - Finally, A Solution

13 replies12 peopleAug 25, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Can GLP-1 medications help control binge eating disorder and food noise at low doses even for people at a healthy weight?

Users with binge eating disorder describe how low-dose tirzepatide or retatrutide eliminated constant food preoccupation and binge urges that previously led to extreme calorie swings and compensatory restriction. Several report sustained control after years of failed therapy and dieting attempts, with some maintaining results during short breaks from the medication. The shared experience centers on reduced mental fixation on food rather than weight loss alone.

What this discussion establishesStill open

Whether benefits persist long-term after stopping the medication or require ongoing use

Nothing here is advice.

13 replies · 12 people
LevelHarbour68archiveopening postAug 25

For years I dealt with binge eating and tried therapists, psychiatrists, and nutritionists without success. When GLP medications appeared I did not qualify because my weight was considered healthy, yet no one accounted for the daily mental focus on food, the quick trips out for large amounts of ice cream, or the 4000-6000 calorie sessions followed by days of not eating. It seems odd that these drugs lack FDA approval for eating disorders, though the reason is understandable. Most eating disorders revolve around food noise, and even anorexia involves intense fixation on food. At 45 this issue is finally managed for me on a low dose of tirzepatide.

NorthWillow72archiveAug 26
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour68 (opening post)

There were periods when something similar may have been happening for me, though I never compensated by fasting for days. Glad things are working out for you. How long have you been using it? If you are comfortable sharing, what steps are you taking to avoid slipping into anorexia?

LevelSignal57archiveAug 26

I do not have binge eating disorder, yet the drop in food noise is striking. Hours of obsessing over what to eat have simply vanished. I appreciate the change.

SharpAlder88archiveAug 26

I am 69 and reached a normal weight on tirzepatide two years ago, now maintaining. Being obese my entire life created constant embarrassment, including unspoken feelings from my children and practical problems at work finding scrubs and gowns that fit. These medications have given me an entirely different life, and I am making the most of the remaining time.

SteadySparrow75archiveAug 26
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour68 (opening post)

This is exactly why I would still keep my own supply of GLP medication even if the brand versions were free. I decide the dose and the version myself, without concern that a prescription will end or that I must wait on a doctor or officials. I can continue living well with the knowledge that food stays manageable and within my own control.

PlainQuill53archiveAug 26

I am in nearly the same situation and also use tirzepatide to manage binge eating disorder. At 2.5 mg it removed the urge, and I sometimes extend the time between doses to let mild hunger return so I can notice the contrast when old patterns start. The change has been major, including no longer ordering two entrees just to avoid leaving still hungry. A phrase I used before these medications was that it is not about being full but about not being hungry, and the medication has made that idea far more workable. It is good to hear it is helping you at such a low dose as well.

CopperSignal27archiveAug 26

It helps to read about others managing comparable issues. I was never formally diagnosed with an eating disorder, yet I could easily gain a kilo or more per week from eating that felt beyond my control. I reached a stable weight before starting GLP medications, but only through intense effort and complete avoidance of high-reward foods for three years along with a high-protein, low-calorie-density approach. That was not the first time I reached a normal weight, and previous attempts never lasted. Even small amounts of rich food would restart extreme hunger. Keeping weight off without the medication required constant vigilance and zero exceptions, which left me hungry much of the time.

SteadyPebble24archiveAug 27

I have binge eating disorder, a hidden pattern of strict control around others and large binges when alone. That has ended. My stomach capacity has decreased so overeating now causes discomfort. For that reason I also keep a long-term supply stored in the freezer. It represents freedom. The medication quiets the mind, food has become uninteresting, and the result is peace.

PlainBeacon46archiveAug 27
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour68 (opening post)

You captured the issue from a useful angle. Continue forward; this is your moment.

LevelAnchor55archiveAug 27

I faced the identical cycle of holding a weight for a period then relapsing after one small lapse. After four months on retatrutide at the highest dose and reaching low body fat, even after pausing for a month I have not returned to bingeing and continue to lose a small amount gradually.

GreyFenwick31archiveAug 27
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour68 (opening post)

I am truly glad you shared this. As a woman, ideas about food or the lack of it can be instilled very early. Social media now seems to create similar pressures for young men as well. These medications reduce the mental focus on food, which alone makes a real difference for many. The only time food crosses my mind lately is when my stomach signals it would like something small, which just happened. Time to eat. Wishing you continued success with tirzepatide.

LevelHarbour68archiveAug 27
↳ replying to @SteadyPebble24

It really is freedom. Without experiencing binge eating disorder firsthand it is difficult to grasp the thoughts involved. Happy for you as well.

LevelHarbour68archiveAug 27
↳ replying to @LevelAnchor55

I wonder why you took the break, whether it was planned, and whether you experienced any bingeing afterward. I use tirzepatide mainly for the binge eating rather than weight loss, so I am interested in what happens during time off the medication.

WrySparrow43archiveAug 27

I began GLP medications six weeks ago. Although I did not have much weight to lose, a strong sweet tooth often led to binges, so I chose to try retatrutide. I have lost 10 kg in that time and am near my target weight, but the biggest change is going the entire period without a single binge episode.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.