Forum › Injection Technique

Check my calculations (and questions about pen)

11 replies8 peopleSep 17, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

how to verify reconstitution math and pen dosing for a 10mg peptide vial mixed with 2ml BAC water

The original poster plans to mix 10mg into 2ml BAC and calculates a 1mg dose as 0.2ml or 20 units. Multiple replies confirm the math is correct and that pen units match syringe units. Users share tips on using vent needles, filters, and practicing transfers, plus preferences for pens versus syringes. Some note that filtering makes the pen route more practical.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

some prefer staying with syringes to avoid extra transfer steps and sterility risks, while others see pens as more convenient after filtering

Nothing here is advice.

11 replies · 8 people
SteadyAnchor31archiveopening postSep 17

Hi folks, since I'm just starting out I wanted some seasoned folks to look over my math before trying anything. My idea is to mix the 10 milligram container using two milliliters of bacteriostatic solution. I picked that amount after reading it gives more leeway if mistakes happen compared to using only one. Even though others recommended the smaller volume to simplify, my choice is the larger one for now. With that mix, to get one milligram I figure I'd draw point two milliliters, which is twenty units on a hundred unit syringe. The tricky bit for me is transferring this mixture into a pen device. Because it's not a standard needle, the measurement in units might work differently. I'm using the three milliliter containers and pushing out the leftover air once the two milliliters are added. The pen I got maxes out at sixty units or clicks. If anyone has used one of these pens before, could they share thoughts? Does setting it to twenty mean I'm getting the right amount for one milligram?

BrightSignal52archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @SteadyAnchor31 (opening post)

Your math lines up perfectly. Doses from the pen match what a syringe delivers in units.

WarmAnchor55archiveSep 17

The figures add up properly and the measurements line up fine. I employed a venting pin while loading my holder and strained the mix whenever possible. An online dose estimator helped me review my own numbers and proved quite useful. This kind of thing can draw you in quickly.

SteadyAnchor31archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @WarmAnchor55

Appreciate the help! Got some spare needles and syringes set aside for this. The filters showed up the other day. I've seen those videos on how to mix it up and spent weeks looking into everything while the packages were on their way. Looks like I have all the stuff now, though I'm feeling a little anxious about it. So I'm going over my steps again and again before starting. Thanks for checking my questions and sharing your thoughts.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 17

Why go with a pen instead? Getting those initial shots down can be tricky, I get that. Starting out with needles was a real struggle for me, but once I pushed through the beginning phase, I've come to rely on them completely. If the stuff was supplied in a cartridge, I'd definitely choose the pen option. For something in a bottle though, needles are what I reach for. Transferring between containers isn't something I do because each step raises the risk of problems or contamination.

AmberCinder18archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @WarmAnchor55

I like the dosage calculator, very simple to use.

SteadyAnchor31archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

Hi! Looks like you left a comment on my beginner welcome thread too. 😁 Back then I pointed out that storing and carrying the pen plus using it feels simpler to me. Since filtering is happening anyway, the liquid can go straight into the vial as part of that step.

SteadyAnchor31archiveSep 17

Wow I'm glad you mentioned the challenges you dealt with because it helps me figure out how to steer clear of those errors too! 🙏

PatientAlder89archiveSep 17

When I first began I mixed one milliliter into a ten milligram vial but later changed to one and a half milliliters for thirty milligrams once I raised the dose. Larger amounts need more liquid which shows up more if bruising happens easily for me. With a ten milligram target I started at one milligram.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 17

I have to confess that once someone opts to filter or move the contents from the starting container, switching over to the pen format starts to feel logical overall. From the earlier comments it appears that part is already sorted, though later on a newcomer might run into extra steps. I kept the concentration level from the initial container lined up with the pen dose markings in my own case whenever possible, since otherwise the whole thing turns messy quickly. I'll let the folks who know pens better handle any further details on that. Hoping things work out well for you.

ClearKettle65archiveSep 17

A couple of videos that may help.

ClearSignal10archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

After checking the other option I returned to fifty-unit insulin syringes on account of the tiny dose size.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.