Forum › Food & Appetite

Struggling to reach daily calories late on tirzepatide

11 replies11 peopleSep 17, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

How do people on low-dose tirzepatide hit their maintenance calories when appetite stays low until evening?

Users describe eating very little until after work and the gym, then needing to consume over 1000 calories in a short evening window. Suggestions include dense shakes, ultra-filtered milk, separating fats from carbs, adding fats earlier, or simply accepting one larger meal. Several note they track protein more than calories and treat evening eating as the main feeding time rather than waiting for hunger.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether deliberately separating fats and carbs is worth the effort or mainly useful when coming off the medication

Nothing here is advice.

11 replies · 11 people
SlowFenwick86archiveopening postSep 17

I'm four weeks into 2.5 mg of the medication. Work breaks are at 11 a.m. and I head straight to the gym after my shift. By 11 p.m. I've usually only managed 700 to 1000 calories and nothing between the end of work and the gym. Then around 7 or 8 p.m. I suddenly have to pack in the rest of my protein and calories, which means more than another 1000 calories in one go.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @SlowFenwick86 (opening post)

Try fitting in some higher-calorie and higher-protein options like shakes or bars earlier in the day. That spreads protein intake better and makes the totals easier to reach.

KeenThistle22archiveSep 17

Can you share what a normal day of meals looks like for you? In general it helps to focus on more nutrient-dense choices and cut back on processed items.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 17

I deal with the same thing. Ultra-filtered milk works well for adding calories and it's healthy, lactose-free, low in carbs, and has twice the protein. Protein shakes made with it instead of water also taste better to me. I've decided carbs aren't the enemy but they need to be paired carefully. Mixing fats and carbs together seems to create the best conditions for storing fat, so I keep meals in two groups: protein plus fats, or protein plus carbs. That keeps things under control and favors muscle over fat storage.

QuietSignal61archiveSep 17
↳ replying to @PatientHarbour28

That gives the whole approach a clear structure. It sounds like you've worked it all out. I already know most of what you said but never thought to keep fats separate because they're usually mixed into everything. The idea probably wouldn't fit my current routine, but it could be useful later during a bulk or when lowering the dose or stopping altogether.

SteadyMeadow73archiveSep 18

Fat packs 9 calories per gram, so it's efficient. I add a little more of it both early and late in the day. Protein and carbs only give 4 calories per gram. I stir half-and-half into my morning shake and put extra butter on broccoli.

IronLantern24archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @SlowFenwick86 (opening post)

I've never been someone who eats breakfast. Hunger only shows up for me at night, so I basically have to force down a protein shake at lunch. Lately I'm falling short on micronutrients. I know eating late isn't ideal, but that's how my body has always worked and trying to change it never succeeds.

SharpLedger72archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @IronLantern24

Same here. Over the year I've built the habit of eating only after 6 p.m. The medication has cut me down to one meal with no midnight snacks afterward, so basically OMAD. Every four to six weeks I take a short break and eat a bit more, adding bread or pasta.

BlueAnchor59archiveSep 18

Yeah, on tirzepatide that's common. Appetite just isn't there, so hitting maintenance becomes deliberate eating instead of responding to hunger. I keep using the medication and make the evening window the main time for food, using shakes or denser items when a full plate feels like too much. It's better than stopping and dealing with the food noise returning.

LevelThistle44archiveSep 18

I usually begin with two protein shakes that give me 60 g of protein and 360 calories. Two more shakes later in the day and I'm near my protein minimum. I'm still aiming for a calorie deficit to drop another 10-15 lb.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 18

I stopped tracking calories because it doesn't mean much to me anymore. I track protein instead and keep an eye on fat. Cottage cheese works well. Yogurt is dense, high in protein, and easy to digest, and you can choose the fat level. Unflavored versions have little sugar. I mix unflavored full-fat yogurt with a scoop of protein powder to add flavor and get about 50 extra grams of protein from roughly 1.5 cups of food.

PatientHarbour28archiveSep 18
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

You've moved up a level. Most people who track seriously reach the point where they stop counting calories and focus on macros instead. Welcome to the more advanced stage of food tracking.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.