Forum › Dosing & Titration

Retatrutide 8mg - increase dose or stay put?

27 replies16 peopleSep 27, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

When appetite suppression fades before the next weekly retatrutide injection at 8 mg, should the dose be raised, split, or spaced differently?

Users report that 8 mg controls hunger for roughly five to six days before food noise returns. Most recommend either raising the weekly dose by 2 mg increments up to 10-12 mg or splitting the same total amount into two injections spaced every 3.5-5 days. Those already splitting note steadier control and fewer side effects; several who stayed on once-weekly dosing eventually moved up when the effect wore off early. Adding or timing cagrilintide is mentioned as a secondary adjustment.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some prefer immediate dose escalation while others favor splitting or interval adjustment first to avoid higher total exposure.

Still open

Whether long-term maintenance requires continued titration or can be sustained by schedule tweaks alone

Nothing here is advice.

27 replies · 16 people
QuietLantern17archiveopening post3d

Started tirzepatide at 237 pounds and reached 185 with a target of 179. After most of the loss I plateaued for roughly a year and a half, then switched to retatrutide a few months back. During the changeover I put on five to seven pounds. Tonight is the fifth 8 mg shot and tomorrow brings the usual 2.4 mg cagrilintide. At this level hunger stays down for five or six days and food thoughts stay quiet. This past Thursday the scale finally went under 190 to 189.2, but by Friday hunger and noise returned strongly and today the weight is back up three pounds. That gain is clearly water or glycogen, yet it lines up with the return of appetite. The question is whether to stay at 8 mg longer, raise it, or split the shot to cover the end-of-week drop-off. Looking for experiences from people who faced the same pattern.

Split the dose and raise the total until it works, stopping only if side effects appear.

RustTimber42archive3d

When I began retatrutide I found that splitting and shortening the interval helped. Hunger started returning around day four, so I reduced the amount slightly and moved to every five days.

PlainAlder11archive3d

Splitting is not my preference, though it could cover the return of hunger as another user noted. I never experienced that rebound on a single weekly shot. I stayed at 8 mg for six weeks, then moved to 9 mg for one week and straight to 10 mg after that. In short, I would increase by 2 mg at a time.

NorthWillow72archive3d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

I used tirzepatide rather than retatrutide but agree with staying on a weekly schedule. With only ten pounds left and two possible 2 mg steps available, raising the dose makes sense if side effects are not a problem. When sides do appear, the person mentioned earlier has had good results with various split approaches.

Try 8 mg every six days. The strength seems adequate; it simply does not last the full week.

I began splitting three weeks into tirzepatide once the effect faded around day five. Thirty-eight weeks later I am still splitting.

PlainAlder11archive3d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

That is why I would move straight to 10 mg. No stall was mentioned.

↳ replying to @RustTimber42

Splitting is worth trying, and shortening the interval below seven days as well. A small adjustment should get progress moving again.

IronLantern24archive3d

Once I switched to splitting every three and a half days, side effects dropped and the scale began moving steadily. Four months in and I have no regrets.

After five weeks at one dose, blood levels have already peaked, so extra time at 8 mg will not change anything. No side effects were mentioned. If sides become an issue, split into 5 mg twice a week then 6 mg twice a week. Otherwise try 10 mg or 12 mg once a week, or keep 8 mg every five or six days. When hunger returns before the next shot even at higher doses, splitting is the solution. With twenty-five percent total loss still needed, the current combination is producing a below-average response. There is no benefit to remaining at 8 mg if hunger is not controlled unless sides block further increases, in which case splitting helps. The present regimen is already close to maintenance, so most of the medication effect is now preventing regain rather than driving further loss. Higher exposure is the only way to change that.

AmberPebble67archive2d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

What makes you avoid splitting? I dropped nearly twenty-five kilograms by dividing 5 mg tirzepatide into 3 mg and 2 mg on Wednesday and Sunday. When progress stopped I slowly raised to 10 mg still split, but results were limited, which is why I switched to retatrutide and began splitting that as well. The difference in food noise is noticeable. It now seems likely that long-term use with very slow reductions will be necessary. Until recently I thought I could handle the noise through willpower alone.

↳ replying to @AmberPebble67

Thanks for the honesty. The people I see who stop successfully put in a lot of consistent effort to hold the weight. For those who would rather focus energy elsewhere, staying on the medication is the simpler choice.

PlainAlder11archive2d
↳ replying to @AmberPebble67

Because I never ran into those problems. Hunger never returned on day six and I had no side effects up to 10 mg. I am now on maintenance with 6 mg and 8 mg and plan to stay there as long as possible, possibly dropping to 2-4 mg later.

Thanks for the input. The only side effect I notice on retatrutide is feeling cold more easily; some back tingling appeared early but faded. I have not had significant side effects overall. Last night I moved to a split of 5 mg and will still take the cagrilintide this morning, then another 5 mg on Thursday. Hoping this restarts progress. I am watching food intake and keeping up workouts. Something needs to shift soon. At this stage it feels more like proving to myself that I can finish than simply reaching a normal BMI.

Use the one or two days of returning hunger to practice managing food noise. If you already know it will appear before the next dose, train yourself to handle it. If a single day of noise feels unmanageable then the issue is discipline. Just my view.

SharpCinder28archive2d
↳ replying to @LevelThistle60

Switching to liraglutide would teach plenty of lessons about how difficult things can feel. For retatrutide or tirzepatide the useful adjustment is often splitting, for example every four days while keeping the weekly total the same. For maintenance some people do well every two weeks, which can be more practical when limited to single-use pens.

When the scale moved up, do you think any of it was actual fat gain? Has body composition shifted at all? The next step, which can feel unsettling, is figuring out the mindset once you reach goal weight and are no longer in a long-term deficit.

WryBramble37archive2d
↳ replying to @QuietLantern17 (opening post)

Do you lift or do other exercise regularly? Maybe consider tesamorelin or semorelin. Are you getting bloodwork? Results can show where attention is needed most.

↳ replying to @LevelThistle60

I appreciate the thought, but being told to improve discipline does not address the pattern. The increase in appetite happens at the same point each week as the medication effect declines. That is different from ordinary hunger that willpower should override. These drugs are meant to reduce appetite, so when the effect lessens the drive returns strongly. It is comparable to an allergy tablet that works most of the day and then wears off; no one would say more discipline is needed to stop sneezing. I have tracked this for two years and the timing is consistent. That is why I asked whether splitting, changing the dose, or another adjustment has worked for others who saw the same weekly drop-off.

NorthWillow72archive2d

I noticed you asked a couple of things there. Since the stuff is effective and you're down to just ten pounds with two more steps up on the reta, and no issues showing up, it seems odd not to raise it. On top of that, when hunger creeps back in toward the week's close, taking the cagri right after doesn't line up, given its roughly six and a half day duration that makes it hit around the same time as the other one, so spacing it five days later would fit better. That med lasts in the blood from about one hundred fifty nine to one hundred ninety five hours, averaging near one hundred eighty four at the usual amount.

PlainAlder11archive2d
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

I am considering adding some tirzepatide for my wife alongside the retatrutide. She does not seem to be losing anymore but refuses to weigh herself. She still wants her shots and is at 12 mg. I would need to discuss lowering the retatrutide dose with her. I have not looked into the details much yet.

NorthWillow72archive2d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Maybe eloralintide or even semaglutide? As her medical provider you could ask her to step on the scale even if she does not look at the number. Think she would agree?

↳ replying to @WryBramble37

Yes, I lift weights five days a week plus cardio or cycling. Bloodwork is normal; I have it checked every six months. I have considered tesamorelin or semorelin but want to read more first.

SlowAlder89archive2d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

My wife uses both. She is at 12.5 mg tirzepatide and currently 6 mg retatrutide. She began with tirzepatide and was already at the top dose when we learned about retatrutide. As we raised the retatrutide we have started lowering the tirzepatide. I am also thinking about adding cagrilintide or eloralintide to improve appetite control.

PlainAlder11archive2d
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Good luck with that. She finds the scale discouraging. I stopped arguing that it is simply a progress tool.

SteadySparrow75archive17h

True. They all do. They may seem soft and friendly but they are actually sharp.

PlainAlder11archive16h
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Nothing sharp anymore unless it is cold or irritated.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.

Retatrutide 8mg - increase dose or stay put? · ZyraTrack