Forum › Dosing & Titration

First time stalling on 5mg tirzepatide after 15 weeks – should I increase?

14 replies10 peopleSep 28, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Should I increase my tirzepatide dose after the first stall at 5mg with returning food noise?

The original poster at week 15 on tirzepatide (11 weeks at 5 mg) reports a two-week stall after shifting injection day, with food noise returning and the ick effect fading faster. Most replies suggest titrating up since low doses have been used long enough, though a minority advises waiting longer than two weeks, addressing water retention or stress first, or stretching intervals. Long-term projections indicate that reaching a 37%+ weight loss goal will likely require higher doses regardless of slow titration.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether two weeks qualifies as a stall warranting an immediate increase or if more time and lifestyle tweaks should come first.

Still open

How much additional loss 5 mg can still produce before a true plateau sets in.

Nothing here is advice.

14 replies · 10 people
QuietThistle78archiveopening postSep 28

Hi, F26 here on week 15 of tirz and week 11 at 5 mg. This is the second week I moved my shot to Thursday instead of Friday. On Saturday, the usual weigh-in day, the scale showed the same number as the week before. I did not feel like I ate noticeably more, but the food ick does not last as long anymore and I can eat again sooner. I am wondering if I should go up in dose. I prefer to stay low as long as possible, yet I do not want to lose all my progress because I cannot control eating. Yesterday I heard the old food noise for the first time in three months, the kind that says eat everything today and start fresh tomorrow. It scared me enough to stop. I am not used to stalls and I am pretty disappointed, especially after steady 0.5-0.7 kg drops each week. I still have a long way to go.

SharpCinder28archiveSep 28

Almost every post like yours gets told to increase. Or else people on these meds start talking about dialing in macros like that will fix things long term. So I say increase.

AmberSignal35archiveSep 28

I do not know the trial data, but eleven weeks on the same dose seems long enough. Most guidance says to stay at a new dose for at least four weeks to let it build up. You are well past that. It sounds like you already know your body and habits, so go ahead.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 28

If the goal is dropping from 88 kg down to 53-55 kg that is a 33 kg loss, roughly 37.5 percent of starting weight. There is little chance of reaching that on 5 mg of tirz. There is no real evidence that the speed of dose increases changes the final amount lost, so holding back now to save room for later increases does not hold up. Going up slowly only makes sense for managing side effects. If a low dose still controls hunger and gives decent loss then there is no need to raise it. As weight comes off, daily energy use drops and hunger tends to rise, so it is normal for the drug to feel less effective after a while because the deficit shrinks. The current stall could just be fluid changes rather than a real one, though 12 percent loss might be the most 5 mg can deliver. To lose anywhere near 37.5 percent you will probably need at least 15 mg per week.

WryCinder14archiveSep 28

It sounds like your body has adjusted to the 5 mg dose. If it were me I would go up to the next dose.

QuietThistle78archiveSep 28
↳ replying to @CopperSignal27

Appreciate how reliable your replies always turn out. Could you explain what those two compounds are and the reason you believe they might benefit me? I'm aware the copper peptide aids in avoiding sagging skin, yet that's the extent of my knowledge, haha.

QuietThistle78archiveSep 28
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

Thanks! No, I hate counting calories and macros. I did that for four years before tirz and only gained. The worst part was knowing the exact numbers yet still eating 2000-2500 kcal a day without feeling satisfied. The food noise was wearing me down. I was thinking I could try 6 mg to see how I adjust.

SharpCinder28archiveSep 28

Before switching to reta I took tirz every five days to avoid rebound hunger toward the end of the week. For example 5 mg every five days equals 7 mg per week.

PatientPebble79archiveSep 28
↳ replying to @QuietThistle78 (opening post)

I am in the minority here, the start-low-and-go-slow group. I would not call two weeks a stall. At the same time, if food noise is getting to you then more medication may be needed. First though, think about how long you have been in a deficit. Could your body use a short break? I sometimes stretch my dose interval to see when the noise returns and eat a bit more before that point, something the body does not expect. That can sometimes restart loss. Anything under a month is probably just adjustment and water holding. Changing foods, water intake, or exercise can help too. I have been on tirz since December and am now at 1.5 mg tirz plus 1.5 mg reta, planning to drop both to 1 mg at the next longer interval.

BlueAnchor59archiveSep 28

Two weeks flat after moving the injection day can just be water, so I would not treat that alone as proof you need more. Food noise returning hard after months of quiet is the stronger signal though. I am still on tirz and like staying at the lowest dose that keeps the noise quiet, so if it stays another week or so I would nudge up rather than keep fighting cravings.

PlainQuill53archiveSep 28

I say give it some more time. Your body will sometimes hold onto weight through extra water retention from stress, both mental and from the weight loss itself. Try extra rest or a day off from activity and allow yourself a treat or special meal. You might be surprised how well it works. For example I have been trying to add muscle slowly and went up 10 lb over 14 weeks without a real deload. After an easy week at 60 percent effort plus massage and red light I dropped three of those pounds even while in a slight surplus. Being in a steep deficit puts even more stress on the body.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 28
↳ replying to @QuietThistle78

Right now with only a modest amount of the main medication it feels more logical to raise that level before looking at add-ons. The pair of alternatives act through amylin pathways so they hit receptors separate from the main class. The newer option carries a higher cost yet produces stronger fat reduction along with milder unwanted reactions than the prior version. Those two stand out as the strongest additions once the primary drug reaches its ceiling and progress stalls short of the goal. I raised the idea only because the target reduction is quite large and the main medication alone seldom delivers that much on average. Some have tried small amounts of the add-ons alongside moderate levels of the primary one and that can work when reactions block reaching an effective amount yet normally it stays simpler to just go higher on the main dose. One reason to favor larger amounts of this class is that anyone facing elevated chances of heart liver or kidney trouble or blood sugar disorders gets clearer protection from bigger quantities and the benefit goes beyond the slimming itself. Plenty of people carrying substantial extra weight already sit at notable heart risk especially once middle age arrives or when pressure fats or glucose run high and over time these medications cut serious illness substantially with stronger results from the upper end. The advantage grows clearer the older someone gets so it matters less around forty but stands out more once the fifties or sixties begin.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 28

If you do not want to jump an entire dose, consider pinning every six days.

PatientKettle48archiveSep 28

I found the suggestions helpful though what follows is simply my personal experience. Following fifteen weeks where I dropped about eight hundred grams each week I hit an initial plateau just like yours and it really bothered me. After some rash reactions I settled down and stayed on five milligrams examined my food intake more closely which showed I was undereating so I added more protein sources for roughly seven days after which I dropped an extra two kilograms quickly. I've chosen to continue with five milligrams for eight additional weeks before considering an increase.

QuietThistle78archiveSep 29

Appreciate the note! No hurry on my end since days move forward regardless. I'll stick with the shots until hitting upkeep level once my target is met. Others have dropped much greater amounts than me on this med, leaving me quite hopeful 🤭. Weight training starts once I hit the bottom sixties or top fifties.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.