Forum › Conditions & Comorbidities

Info on sleep apnea from those that have it (or have had it!)

31 replies16 peopleSep 24, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

What happens during a sleep study for apnea diagnosis and what are real experiences with CPAP, masks, weight loss, and alternatives?

Users describe at-home sleep studies using finger sensors or wearable devices that track oxygen levels and breathing events, often leading to APAP or CPAP machines. Many report initial difficulty adjusting to masks and pressure that improves over weeks or months with mask trials, while weight loss resolved apnea for several people who no longer need machines. Some pursued surgeries like septoplasty or jaw advancement after CPAP failed, and others found oral appliances or lifestyle changes helpful. NHS pathways focus on home testing first, with variable success using consumer trackers for initial screening.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether CPAP is ultimately necessary versus relying on weight loss or surgery alone, and how accurate consumer oxygen trackers are compared with clinical tests.

Still open

How long improvements from weight loss or surgery last and whether the NHS will accept private test results to speed up care.

Nothing here is advice.

31 replies · 16 people
AmberCompass37archiveopening post6d

Everyone, I'm aware that sleep apnea affects me and the physician is sending me over to the sleep clinic for one of those overnight tests on the NHS. I'm curious how the test actually works and whether it involves attaching various monitors. They will probably give me one of those breathing devices to use at night along with a face covering, and I'm unsure how that will feel so I'd like to hear how others handled it at first. Does the treatment start working straight away or does it take time to notice anything? My rest has been poor forever and I used to wake suddenly feeling like I was suffocating, which led me to switch to lying face down and that ended the scary moments though the core issue remains. Tracking gadgets I wear show my rest quality stays very low and my energy levels never recover. I'm interested in what others noticed after they began treatment, since I'm so accustomed to this that I still manage work and daily stuff fine, yet I wonder if proper rest would feel dramatically better or if that's unrealistic. I'm carrying extra weight and trying to shed some in hopes the condition eases on its own. I prefer hearing from regular folks who've been through it rather than generic online stuff.

Through the public health system they monitored my breathing over several evenings by attaching a sensor to my digit that tracked oxygen levels in the blood. A fall under ninety percent indicated the condition. After confirmation they provided a variable pressure device for seven days to establish the required level, leading to a fixed machine set accordingly. Adjusting to wearing it during rest proved challenging for me and others, sometimes spanning multiple months. Finding the right fit and adjustments involved trying various options over time. When everything was sorted I returned to normal rest patterns. Losing excess pounds might resolve the issue or not, since extra mass can aggravate the problem depending on the cause of the obstruction.

↳ replying to @SteadySignal69

Thanks mate, my watch app says my average pulse ox is low, but goes as low as the low eighties, no idea how accurate this is though.

IronKettle44archive6d

I completed a sleep assessment in the United States using the monitoring unit. You rest at home in your regular bed, start up the unit, then sleep. After waking, you shut it down and done. Throat doctors have mixed views on liking that unit or not. Being located in Britain with a good specialist helping you out means the national health coverage should work out better for you. Video clips online can provide useful info too, just look up sleep assessments to see available ones. Several people have uploaded lots of them. Wishing you success! (I added a photo of the unit)

IronKettle44archive6d
↳ replying to @AmberCompass37 (opening post)

Several years back I picked up a gadget that tracks rest patterns and it flagged my rest quality as poor while suggesting a medical check due to my driving certification. After about half a decade I have refined my evening routines as far as possible and gone through two operations to address breathing pauses at night. Progress comes in stages. The opening procedure reduced some nasal structures, widened sinus passages and eased swelling inside the nose which made a big difference but counted as only the start. Both nostrils now allow steady airflow and odd tooth aches faded away probably because of earlier nasal problems. The follow up operation straightened the septum and repaired a nasal valve which moved things ahead further. I no longer rely on any strip across the nose and airflow feels very free maybe even excessive yet that step proved tougher than the first. The doctor now recommends trimming loose throat tissue and part of the uvula but I plan to delay until after the holidays. Improvement involves several phases and dropping weight helps though it may have left extra tissue around the neck. I keep two breathing machines that cut out all snoring sounds but have not fully committed to wearing one the entire night. I use them at my desk during the day or while relaxing after shifts which quickly puts me into a calm state like easing into the equipment over time. Lungs need time to adjust to the pressure and picking a comfortable interface matters since several unused ones often pile up from trying different options. This ended up as quite a long note yet I wanted to share what happened.

↳ replying to @IronKettle44

Appreciate you mentioning him, wasn't familiar with that person before but came across the page and it seems to hold helpful details so I'll look through it later, grateful for the pointer.

IronKettle44archive6d
↳ replying to @AmberCompass37

No problem buddy, happy to share! That guy stands out as the top pick for anything sleep related. I bought one of his items and had it arrive here and it's fantastic. The extra fees were rough though.

↳ replying to @IronKettle44

That's really intense what you did there! Thanks, I value getting your take on it. So I guess your rest is solid these days? When you rise, do you feel totally refreshed or just average?

IronKettle44archive6d
↳ replying to @AmberCompass37

My rest has gotten considerably better than it was several years back. I monitor my wearable gadget for the duration of wakefulness and its connection to nighttime. I deal with a breathing-related sleep issue that's distinct from the common apnea type. It involves air flowing like through a thin pipe without saturation dropping or respiration halting, but the mind repeatedly signals to rouse and stabilize the throat passage, resulting in disturbance counts rather than the standard measure. I rest far more soundly these days, yet I believe the moment I decide to apply the apparatus each bedtime is when my refreshment level will decrease. In the meantime, I apply the apparatus at residence and during screen time, and upon dozing I employ positioning support, lip covering, and sound mufflers to drift off quickly. I acquired a full-coverage version of the device which I adore as it addresses my jaw sagging concern from prior nose versions, plus it gives me a heroic armored feeling while on. Best wishes regarding the specialist recordings, as that individual has helped the sleep field immensely.

↳ replying to @IronKettle44

Appreciate it a ton, man. Right now I'm going over lots of those pieces he wrote. Grateful you spent time describing that wild scenario and happy everything worked out fine for you.

GreyHarbour88archive6d

My spouse received a diagnosis of sleep apnea after an overnight test completed at our house. The whole process seemed straightforward from what I noticed. When he began adapting to the breathing device a tube support turned out useful. It holds the tubing away from the bedding which makes changing positions during sleep much simpler. Multiple styles are out there.

AmberLedger21archive6d

About a dozen years back a home test confirmed my sleep apnea when I carried around 220 pounds and plenty of extra weight. Several different interfaces came and went until nasal pillows finally felt right. Adjusting to the gear plus the steady airflow took roughly a week. A stuffy nose made wearing it impossible on those nights. Rest improved sharply and I woke feeling far more restored than before. After shedding around 50 pounds I repeated the test a couple years later. The added weight had been the main trigger so the condition disappeared. Two years without the device now and my nights feel better than ever. The same change does not fix things for everyone yet it resolved the problem in my case.

I completed a sleep test at my place. A compact device with electrodes arrived and I used it over several evenings without much issue. It beeps if a sensor shifts, and whenever I get up for the restroom or to take the pet out I note the moment. The physician indicated no breathing machine was necessary and I ought to shed pounds. At the follow-up appointment they suggested using the machine after all yet advised persisting with efforts to lose weight to check for better results. I dislike objects on my face therefore I'm concentrating on dropping the extra pounds. I inquired regarding a medication approved to address apnea but since my case isn't serious enough it wasn't an option despite the machine being advised. The odd part is qualifying for the apnea device implant via my coverage thus a costly procedure gets paid for yet not the other treatment.

RustSignal28archive6d

Back then my breathing problems at night were terrible. I'd get up with pain in my throat and a raspy tone. My partner kept nudging me throughout the evening to quiet my breathing sounds so we both stayed tired. The tooth doctor mentioned running a nighttime breathing check place and noticed from my jaw that I required help there. As a child in the nineties I got metal straightenings on my teeth and they pulled out several to create space. That actually squeezed my upper jaw area tighter and gave my tongue less space. I refused to try the mask device but she mentioned a device to hold in my mouth. After the overnight test I received one made for me and it helped with about half my troubles. Later she offered a fresh method using light to tighten the soft parts at the back of my neck without cutting. I hesitated during the following appointments yet she convinced me. It turned out well. Now my breathing sounds are gone. Air flows easier. My mouth stays moist and throat feels fine. No head pain or worry when rising. My pressure reading dropped even prior to dropping pounds. These two things made things much better for both of us.

↳ replying to @GreyHarbour88

Appreciate the suggestion, as it might come in handy should I require ventilation equipment. My weight sits around 275 pounds. Impressive results on shedding pounds, congratulations! Crossing my fingers that dropping some weight helps me out too. Many thanks for the kind words. The requirements in Britain for accessing this treatment via the public medical service seem quite ridiculous. Apparently needing five out of six major health issues listed, meaning nearly gone. That's why I've started exploring peptide options instead.

↳ replying to @RustSignal28

I've come across discussions regarding that mouthpiece option, and I'm not certain how I'd cope with it myself, yet I agree it might be superior to using a device. Appreciate you sharing that detail, and I'm going to check into it for sure.

KeenThistle22archive6d

Dropping a ton of weight by going zero carb transformed how I feel. I'm doing way better overall.

↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

I'm wishing this will succeed for me even though my weight isn't decreasing significantly. Not sure whether that's related to my use of creatine along with protein powder and hormone therapy. Even if most folks including artificial intelligence claim it doesn't halt progress it could be fooling me with fluid buildup making it appear stagnant. Keeping my food intake low and trying to maintain good habits yet finding it tough. Have you relocated to Greece or were you born there? Back in my younger days I vacationed there alongside my family. It was great!

KeenThistle22archive6d
↳ replying to @AmberCompass37

Hey there my local buddy. Reach out via message if you visit and require details on anything. Glad to assist where possible. Following keto carnivore one meal daily led me to drop nearly forty kilograms minus pep while also decreasing inflammation glucose insulin and similar markers. The fasting aspect supported me resulting in zero loose skin whatsoever. Shedding pounds solely via calorie reduction feels unlike achieving ketosis. Creatine brings no change except when body fat is extremely minimal. Trt helps prevent muscle reduction common with reta. Probably building muscle means the scale reading fails as an accurate measure. Wishing you success my friend.

↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

This location looks really great for settling down. That's impressive! At the moment I'm keeping carbs extremely minimal, even if it's not strictly the keto approach, but perhaps I should explore it since it appears appealing. Grateful for the suggestion, buddy 😉

BlueAlder28archive6d

Everything took place back when my body mass index sat at forty. It began after I answered a question at a medical appointment about whether I snore and replied yes. They handed me a device to record oxygen levels overnight, which showed repeated falls to eighty percent. Another year passed before I completed the home monitoring test using gear fastened across my torso with sensors and leads. Results confirmed the breathing pauses during rest. They supplied an automatic pressure device that links wirelessly for the physician to examine my nightly figures. I have worn it roughly eighteen months. Getting comfortable with the mask felt strange initially, yet my rest improved noticeably and has stayed that way ever since. My current body mass index hovers near twenty nine, and some nights without the mask I still rest decently. I wonder what the doctor will make of the recent numbers at our next visit. Several years earlier I had operations to straighten my septum and reduce internal nasal tissues, but those were unrelated to the sleep issue and produced no change in it. One nostril was largely blocked beforehand, and afterward airflow improved only a little. The whole thing proved pointless. Bad rest links to serious problems such as heart trouble and memory loss, so addressing the pauses feels worthwhile.

↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

My body mass index sits right around forty, give or take a fraction. Discovering the serious effects of disrupted breathing during rest has been eye-opening and sparked my resolve to sort this issue out. After starting the discussion here, I've chosen to order a wearable monitor for fast results. The provider holds official approval, so even if further checks are required, a poor reading could push things along quicker. It should arrive by the next day if all goes smoothly.

GreenCinder55archive6d

Being based in the United States means results could vary elsewhere, yet I completed overnight testing at a center where staff attached multiple sensors across my body. They mentioned it was the most extreme instance they had encountered, with some amusement. I obtained the breathing device afterward and everything shifted dramatically. Constant exhaustion disappeared along with sudden dozing during daytime hours. Later I switched to an updated model that varies air flow according to my respiration patterns rather than running at full force the entire evening, which seems to have produced deeper rest as well.

WryBramble37archive6d

I mentioned my breathing trouble during rest to the doctor while in the United States. The referral went to an expert but the monitoring never happened. Since the note remained on file the insurer declines to cover the testosterone claiming it brings on the breathing trouble. Once I shed thirty five pounds I completed the monitoring and scored two out of ten. The weight reduction basically resolved my breathing trouble as fat collects around the tongue too.

GreenKettle24archive6d

At my peak weight of three hundred fifty pounds the condition was extreme, with more than one hundred fifty breathing pauses hourly while lying supine and around forty seven hourly when on my side. After dropping below three hundred pounds the severity eased to moderate levels, though some pauses turned out to be central rather than physical blockages according to the study results. Neither the standard pressure device nor the bilevel version helped me at all. I forced myself to stick with each for a full month yet still only managed two or three hours of rest per night and felt like I was losing my mind. Machines with variable pressure settings exist and might have suited me better, though I never tried them. Instead I chose corrective jaw surgery after learning from my dental specialist that a constricted upper jaw and elevated roof of the mouth were probably the main sources. The procedure combined forward movement of both jaws, tongue muscle attachment advancement, and reduction of the lower nasal structures. The outcome transformed my nights, yet improvement arrived gradually rather than instantly and the healing period was extremely rough. Over time I realized many breathing problems during sleep stem from nasal passage weaknesses that push people toward mouth breathing. A simple self check can reveal whether the nasal side walls cave in, and in some cases the walls can be strengthened without an operation through a filler that builds collagen. Nasal strips and comparable aids work on the same principle by keeping those passages open.

RustLantern55archive6d

My six-year-old boy suffers from sleep apnea and recently completed an overnight test at the clinic. I myself underwent a home version earlier which showed no issues. For that one I visited the nearby medical center where they attached several sensors before sending me back with the equipment running while I rested, including a tube in my nose and a clip on my finger. His version involved even more sensors placed on his forehead, around his ears, on his scalp, torso, limbs and sides, totaling sixteen plus the breathing tube and finger clip. After setup the staff departed and we tried to rest right away. He tossed around a lot and took time to settle, plus I neglected to pack his usual sleep aid so he managed only five hours though they considered it sufficient. The main hassle came from sensors coming loose whenever he shifted position, requiring the technician to enter with a light and fix them, which never disturbed him but prevented my own rest throughout the night. Now we anticipate the specialist reviewing results before recommending a child-sized breathing device during our follow-up visit. A buddy of mine has an eleven-year-old who began using one at age seven and finds the whole process normal by now with no awareness of it.

↳ replying to @GreenCinder55

I noticed some folks getting tested at a medical facility. There's no way I'd manage to rest properly there. The gadget arrived for me earlier, ordered on my own, and I'm going to try it out this evening. It might help move things along quicker if the issue is significant. Appreciate it. That hormone replacement aspect caught my attention since I'm doing a low-level version myself, just sufficient to improve how I feel. The symptoms were present long before I began the injections, so I'm unsure if they've intensified because of it. I attempted that nasal breathing check earlier. The air passage seemed a bit clearer, but it's hard to be certain. I'm not sure which type of breathing device the public health service might supply if required, though if I can handle it then perhaps I'd consider a better model later on, even if I'd prefer to avoid that. I've come across various accounts regarding those operations, mostly from the States or up north, where they seem to take it more seriously. Poor guy! They pay close attention with children since things can deteriorate as the body develops. The monitoring equipment that came today, which I got independently though the outcome goes to my doctor since it's accepted by the system, should hopefully accelerate matters if it indicates a problem. I'll update once I have the outcome.

KeenSparrow66archive5d

A while back one of my patients went through surgery on their throat to help with breathing pauses at night. They mentioned dozing off behind the wheel, needing extra rests during the day, and their partner getting fed up. Hearing that made me wonder if the same thing was happening to me. Even though I work in nursing it never occurred to me until I was helping that person recover. I scheduled an overnight test and learned I have a mild to moderate case. Switching to the full mask version changed everything for the better. The version that sits only in the nose never worked out because of my crooked septum. After dropping thirty pounds I quit the machine but still feel wiped out some mornings. It might be five solid nights followed by one lousy one. Two days ago I had the septum straightened along with trimming inside the nose. Once it heals I hope the tiredness fades so the machine can stay packed away since it tends to disturb my rest. Someone mentioned simple tongue moves that firm up the muscles which go slack overnight and might ease things by half. Losing the weight made the biggest change so far. I plan to try those moves and check in again once the healing is done. It gets annoying when solid nights give way to a rough one without warning.

↳ replying to @KeenSparrow66

I'm grateful for that response. Looking forward to learning about your experiences with it. The continued shedding of pounds, which many consider their primary goal, should lead to the most significant improvements, and from what I see, that's the case with lots of folks around here.

GreyPebble50archive5d

Many people in this community ended up with sleep apnea like me. The big clue was getting up a lot to go to the bathroom. It turned out I experienced more than 160 events during sleep. I tried a full-face mask for breathing help and it took some time before it felt okay. After beginning my medication for weight loss I dropped 125 pounds and did another test at the sleep center that came back fine so I stopped using the breathing machine. At first I talked to throat doctors about an implanted device that works on the tongue similar to a cardiac stimulator. It checks oxygen during rest and activates the tongue base to keep the passage clear without any covering on the face. You switch it using a magnet. The issue was my weight didn't qualify yet.

RustQuill56archive5d

It's fascinating to go through everyone's experiences. Tiredness has followed me forever and I assumed that was just how things were. Extra pounds stuck with me from the start too so maybe those issues link up somehow. After landing a solid position with decent coverage around age twenty eight I arranged an overnight test at home. The results barely met the threshold for a breathing device so I tried it nightly for half a year yet noticed zero change and eventually stopped. People always pointed to my size eating habits or movement levels even though I stayed active as a lifelong competitor who simply struggled with food choices. One medication transformed my body and dropped nearly a hundred pounds over ten months but the fatigue and rest problems stayed exactly the same. After having children my nights grew even shorter. Currently around one hundred seventy pounds and two and a half years past my last delivery the tiredness feels worse than before even after shedding ninety five pounds altogether and reaching a body mass index of twenty seven. For the first time I'm no longer in the obese range yet still carry extra weight. Raising two children adds constant pressure that makes the lack of energy almost too much to handle. Insurance finally cleared me for an overnight test at a facility and I'm optimistic it will explain the missing deep rest my trackers show plus why extra hours in bed never leave me refreshed. Hearing similar accounts from others has been helpful too.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.

Info on sleep apnea from those that have it (or have had it… · ZyraTrack