Forum › Injection Technique

NAD+ problems

20 replies17 peopleAug 31, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Why does reconstituted NAD+ sting badly on injection and start crystallizing within days?

Users report the burn comes from the solution's acidity and suggest warming the vial, injecting slower, using more diluent, larger needles, or different sites like thighs or glutes. Crystallization is common with higher concentrations or cold storage and often redissolves with gentle warming. Some prefer buffered versions or alternatives like NR, while others continue with buffered NAD+ despite the issues.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether injectable NAD+ is worth the discomfort and effort compared with simpler precursors like NR or niacin.

Still open

Optimal starting dose, long-term effects of repeated injections, and whether fridge temperature or exact concentration is the main driver of crystallization.

Nothing here is advice.

20 replies · 17 people
NorthQuill67archiveopening postAug 31

I have two problems with my NAD+ and wonder if others are seeing them too. First, it burns badly when I inject. Second, the vials start forming crystals within five days after I add the BAC water.

GreyLedger42archiveAug 31

Mine burns as well. A few things have helped: my body seems to be adjusting so the sting is milder now, I let the vial reach room temperature, I mix 1000 mg with 5 ml, thigh injections hurt less than abdomen ones, and I switched to a 31 g 4 mm needle instead of the 32 g I use for other peptides.

SteadyQuill58archiveAug 31

Which brand of BAC water are you using? That might be part of the problem. It stings for me too, so I usually inject into the glutes and that seems to reduce the discomfort.

BlueAnchor59archiveAug 31

The burn is fairly typical because unbuffered NAD+ in BAC water is quite acidic. Slowing the injection, warming the solution, and adding a little extra water can ease both the sting and the crystal issue. Crystals forming after a few days is a known behavior at higher concentrations or in a colder fridge; they usually redissolve if you warm the vial gently in your hand without shaking. If it stays cloudy or gritty after that, better to discard it.

GreenQuill96archiveAug 31
↳ replying to @NorthQuill67 (opening post)

It would help to use the search function since this comes up regularly. You also left out some key details like what concentration you are mixing and whether the product is buffered or not. Unbuffered material sits around pH 3-4. Crystals usually appear when there is not enough BAC water or the fridge is running too cold. The post is a bit blunt, but the lack of searching from new members has become frustrating.

NorthQuill67archiveAug 31
↳ replying to @GreenQuill96

I was just asking directly about problems I was having. I did not realize you were a moderator, so I will try to improve. I do not know if mine is buffered. The label says NAD1000 and I mix it with 5 ml of BAC water.

GreenQuill96archiveAug 31
↳ replying to @NorthQuill67

I cannot really offer advice then. If you do not know what you are injecting, it is hard to give answers based on the limited studies available.

SlowMeadow76archiveAug 31

You could try bac saline instead. Some people say it reduces the stinging with NAD+. I have not tried it, but since it is cheaper it might be worth testing if the burn is too strong.

GreenThistle99archiveSep 1

An 8 mm needle in the glute removes the pain for me. I mixed with 6 ml of BAC water and split it into two pen vials.

IronKettle20archiveSep 2

I did 50 mg (0.5 ml) today and felt no burn.

QuietSignal61archiveSep 3

Pro tip: just throw the NAD+ away. You can raise levels more easily with NR or plain flush niacin. I finished a kit and even tried buffering with sodium bicarb; the discomfort is not worth it.

NorthThistle42archiveSep 3

Sodium bicarbonate and pH test strips, adjust until it is right.

NorthAnchor41archiveSep 3
↳ replying to @QuietSignal61

True, the body breaks NAD+ down to NR and NMN outside the cell before it enters and converts back. The full molecule is too big to enter directly. Still, I inject buffered NAD+ because I do not get injection-site reactions and it is cost-effective. Adding lidocaine to the vial is one suggestion for the burn; searching turns up other user tips.

WarmSparrow33archiveSep 3
↳ replying to @GreenThistle99

That is exactly how I handle it, except I do not use the pen.

NorthAnchor41archiveSep 3
↳ replying to @SharpHarbour71

Correction: it breaks down to NMN first, then NR, then nicotinamide before becoming NAD+ inside the cell. Source mentioned is Hunter Williams.

GreyFenwick31archiveSep 12

I was considering getting some NAD+. After reading the thread I think I need to do more research first.

GreyAnchor47archiveSep 12

I mixed 1000 mg with 6 ml of NaCl BAC water, kept it in the fridge for a couple of days, and used it today. 6 mm needle in the thigh produced only the faintest sting and felt smooth.

NorthFenwick56archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @NorthQuill67 (opening post)

Regarding the recrystallization, are you sure the fridge is not too cold? Leave the vial out for a day and see if it stays liquid. NAD+ is tricky and the burn is real; everyone reacts differently. Maybe the dose was too high; some sources list 200-250 mg but starting at 25 or 50 mg is wiser. I learned that the hard way. Injection site can matter too; my first try in the left glute left a lump that still hurts two weeks later if I sit wrong. The outer upper quads with some fat work better for me. The sting usually decreases as your body adapts. Stick with it if you want to continue.

NorthFenwick23archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

Here I am still using 27 and 29 gauge needles like a beginner because they are free.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.