Forum › Food & Appetite

I love gumbo. Do you?

33 replies13 peopleSep 14, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

How do home cooks make gumbo, handle roux, and manage spice levels?

Forum users describe gumbo's flavor from browned flour and paprika, share oven-based roux techniques, and recount personal experiences with spice tolerance limited by reflux. They note regional Cajun roots, ingredient swaps like file for thickness, and preferences for sausage or peppers while agreeing the dish is widely enjoyed.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Roux ratios and ideal darkness level

Still open

Whether gumbo should become more widely adopted nationally

Nothing here is advice.

33 replies · 13 people
KeenKettle50archiveopening postSep 14

The taste of gumbo stands out thanks to browned flour combined with paprika.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @KeenKettle50 (opening post)

Absolutely. During a big calorie cut I made a lighter version I ate almost every week. File and thyme gave solid taste without the usual roux calories. Smoked chicken breast replaced the sausage smokiness. Garlic, Creole seasoning, thyme, a little Worcestershire, bay leaves and file went in along with tomato for body even though I skip it normally. Gumbo rules.

CopperQuill49archiveSep 14

Looking for roux advice. Butter and flour works great for me but oil versions always leave a layer of fat on top.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @CopperQuill49

Best trick I found is a big heavy cast iron skillet. Mix equal parts canola oil and flour, stir smooth, then bake at 350. Stir every fifteen or twenty minutes with a wooden spatula. It turns a nice milk chocolate shade in an hour to ninety minutes and skips the nonstop stovetop work. Darker roux thickens less so file or okra helps. I like medium color and sometimes add a splash of browning sauce at the end.

CopperQuill49archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Planning to test this out, thanks for the pointers.

RustBeacon82archiveSep 14

Raised in south Louisiana where gumbo shows up on the table all the time.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 14

My wife got hooked after trying a bowl of the chicken, shrimp and andouille version I made.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

I used to love adding heat to everything and even kept my own pepper powder blends. Thai pods ground up were a favorite since they pack more punch than cayenne without the citrus note of super hots. Stomach trouble the last couple years brought on reflux after spicy meals though. Tried some peptides to see if I could handle it again but food cravings just are not a big focus now. Still, that gumbo sounds great.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

I have five Thai pepper plants blooming right now plus a big bottle of Prilosec. Prik Nam Pla over toasted noodles with grilled lemongrass pork is my top pick.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Hot peppers are my thing. Just picked up a fresh supply.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

Those sound more like torture tools that greet you on the way in and out. Still, a good habanero vinaigrette works for me.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Talk of that kind of heat used to make me drool right away. Maybe the peptides could reopen the door but the current meds dampen that kind of enthusiasm.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

You just need to stay in practice. I put a 7-pot douglah on fajitas tonight.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

Reapers? Thai pods already pushed my limit at my peak. That is some serious heat.

CopperAlder51archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

One photo shows a mix of scorpions, reapers, 7-pots and nagas. The other has reapers on top and ghosts below. Thai and habanero bags are around too. That is why I needed a separate pepper freezer.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14

Did not know ghosts came out that bright red. I once mixed scorpion flakes into other Thai-style powders and it got intense fast.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Yeah the calories add up. I cooked a small batch and stretched it across two weeks.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14

I once had a jar of ghost flakes and scattered some on the shrubs to keep javelinas away from the condo. A neighbor grabbed the jar and used it in her seven-bean dish for a cookout. First bite and I asked what she added. She had spiced it with the ghost flakes and it was blazing.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 14

Gumbo deserves wider recognition across the country.

CopperBeacon24archiveSep 14

This does not seem to match the gumbo conversation.

WarmSparrow33archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @CopperQuill49

As a Cajun I go two parts flour to one part oil.

WarmSparrow33archiveSep 14

Right in the middle of Cajun country every gumbo begins with a solid roux. Ruin that and the whole thing is lost. Locals are particular about it. The only ingredients allowed are flour and oil at a two-to-one ratio.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

My wife and I enjoy heat when it carries flavor. Burning the mouth and the exit is not the goal. You handled more than I could.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @WarmSparrow33

There seem to be as many gumbo styles as grains of sand on the coast and opinions stronger than Italians debating pineapple on pizza. Still we all agree it tastes good.

BlueQuill24archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @CopperAlder51

Without andouille it is like Hogwarts without magic.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 14

I have a friend from Louisiana whose cooking is intense. The crawfish boils with corn and potatoes poured onto paper always get me hungry.

BrightCinder50archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @KeenKettle50 (opening post)

Yes and the roux needs to reach a deep brown like peanut butter rather than just lightly colored.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

We usually throw a big party in April when crawfish peak and prices drop. Sausage goes in because the grease and smoke help with flavor and peeling. Mushrooms are another addition since they soak up heat and taste. Something like this works well.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Cajun food does not get enough credit in the rest of the country.

BlueFenwick71archiveSep 14

Not really into gumbo but shrimp and grits plus other Cajun dishes are favorites. My husband goes for anything crawfish, gumbo or andouille.

LevelTimber10archiveSep 14

Cajun cooking is my top choice. All these photos are making me hungry. Still need to find a lighter etouffee.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.