Forum › News & Policy

WTF FDA?!!!

19 replies17 peopleAug 24, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Why are fresh foods like blueberries getting recalled and is processed junk food safer?

Users react to recent produce recalls with jokes about switching to Doritos and hot dogs, while a few note ongoing Cyclospora issues tied to immune-system problems and mention a separate coffee recall. Most treat the topic lightly, sharing personal food preferences and past diet experiences without deeper analysis. A couple of posters compare North American food safety unfavorably to other countries or processed alternatives.

What this discussion establishesStill open

Whether the recalls signal a broader, ignored public-health trend or are just routine incidents.

Nothing here is advice.

19 replies · 17 people
GreyFenwick31archiveopening postAug 24

First it was lettuce, then the bagged salads, and now frozen blueberries too? Looks like they want everyone stuck on Doritos and hot dogs.

AmberCinder18archiveAug 24

Anyway those chips and sausages still appeal to me 😆😜

BrightBeacon35archiveAug 24

I have a real liking for dunking bars of butter into mayonnaise. I speak my mind without any filter.

BlueSignal49archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @GreyFenwick31 (opening post)

I'm just glad the bags of wild blueberries I have in my freezer aren't part of this. 🤣

SteadySignal69archiveAug 24

Cyclospora was one of the outbreaks back in the 1980s that made people notice how many folks were losing immune function. The same warning signs are popping up again with TB, measles, and Cyclospora spreading. Public health still isn't treating it seriously or sharing the research on why.

GreyFenwick31archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @SteadySignal69

Hold on, time to consume extra soil and sip from contaminated sources.

SharpAlder17archiveAug 24

When people ask if my imported peppers are safe, I reply, "safe as my deli luncheon meat." That recall still gives me the creeps.

IronFenwick84archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @GreyFenwick31 (opening post)

Wow, that's wild you brought it up too! My husband and I attended our grandniece's birthday gathering at the park the other day. Plenty of young children and elementary kids were playing all over the place. They cooked sausages and offered small chip bags with heated cheese dip. That worked great for the little ones. But not for me at all. We kept messaging each other about slipping away for a proper dinner.

BlueAlder28archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @BrightBeacon35

Folks underestimate how that low-carb plan actually works out, yet that's precisely the case. I munched on plenty of odd meals during my stretch with the regimen. I dropped nearly identical pounds compared to the medication route. Still, after sticking with it for a decade, the whole thing nearly wrecked my health. For example, sneaking a piece of chocolate cake meant no urine output over three days plus four extra pounds showing up.

AmberFenwick97archiveAug 24

I've noticed something strange about blueberries sold frozen lately. Every package I spot in local stores seems to originate in North America. I also have these quite regularly.

SteadyWillow60archiveAug 24

It's surprising how low the standard of meals has fallen in this part of the world. Visits to the US often left me unwell after eating. Those Mexican style dishes were delicious during my time in San Diego, but stomach problems always hit the day after. Things here in Canada start a little ahead but seem to be sliding downward fast. Everything around feels like a storm of poisons - substandard meals, contaminated air, chemicals in the water supply, too much medication, poor body resistance, and a depressing overall picture.

SteadyMeadow73archiveAug 24

For weeks now the thought of picking up some ranch flavored chips has stuck in my head. Still I keep skipping the purchase since I wonder if the taste would match what I recall from before. Everything tends to fall short that way.

GreyFenwick31archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @SteadyMeadow73

It's strange how after avoiding certain snacks for ages you try them once more and suddenly wonder why they ever appealed. Following the start of my medication those standard tortilla chips seemed off in flavor. These days the lime flavored kind keeps popping into my head.

RustSparrow51archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @GreyFenwick31 (opening post)

Oh man, I came across something recently that might make coffee fans prepare for a shock. Still I'll keep enjoying what I've got since my reserves should hold up for quite a bit, haha.

SlowMeadow28archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @BrightBeacon35

I soaked some bacon strips in the stuff once and it turned out better than expected. 😂

SteadyMeadow73archiveAug 24

This comes in a bottle as a cold drink instead of ground beans in a sack. It is made by just one roaster based in New York. I hardly ever get coffee when I am away from the house and I stay away from that chilled bottled kind altogether. My homemade version is twice as concentrated and no commercial option even comes close.

SlowKettle34archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @SharpAlder17

The permitted additives in everyday meals concern me more when it comes to packaged stuff than they do regarding my Chinese peps. Sure I don't shoot those items into my veins and I get how they differ yet the unease sticks around.

BlueFenwick71archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @GreyFenwick31 (opening post)

I've also got spicy peppers, young shoots, hen eggs plus coriander leaves, flat parsley, aromatic basil, spring onions and young pea pods. There are surely a few more that slipped my mind.

AmberMeadow80archiveAug 24
↳ replying to @RustSparrow51

Ugh, this has nothing to do with coffee. I nearly went hunting for one of those deregulation idiots just to slug them in the mouth. It would be miserable if I ended up mailing coffee samples away for testing.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.