Forum › Results & Progress

Is the last 30 the toughest?

13 replies9 peopleAug 21, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Is losing the final 30 pounds harder than the first on tirzepatide?

The thread shows the last stretch feels different rather than strictly harder, mainly because early losses came from big diet changes and starting the medication while later progress requires tighter calorie control, consistent movement, and building muscle. Participants stress using accurate BMR numbers instead of watch estimates, keeping protein around 120 g, and walking daily to maintain a 500-plus calorie deficit. Many note that tirzepatide helps most when users stay consistent with tracking and exercise instead of expecting the drug to do everything alone.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some see tirzepatide as sufficient with good habits while others believe low responders need additional compounds to finish the last 30 pounds.

Still open

Whether the final stretch is objectively tougher or simply different for most users.

Nothing here is advice.

13 replies · 9 people
BlueHarbour27archiveopening postAug 21

I began GLP-1s after dropping over 70 pounds during cancer treatment a couple years back. It was a rough way to lose weight but I got to see myself lighter again. Once I could eat normally I regained about 50 pounds and was heading back to my old weight. My wife has also done well on GLP-1s and dropped over 100 pounds. Together our habits around food have shifted a lot. We shop, plan, and eat more intentionally now, focusing on meals that matter instead of just dieting. I began with compounded semaglutide through telehealth and switched about six weeks ago to tirzepatide from a compounded source. So far I have lost roughly 30 of the 60 pounds I set as my first checkpoint.

BrightSparrow36archiveAug 21

You are barely at a stable level of tirzepatide yet. Give it time. Keep tracking calories and stay within your limit. Walk more.

NorthWillow72archiveAug 21
↳ replying to @BlueHarbour27 (opening post)

The first pounds usually come off quicker than the last ones, but you can use a few tactics to keep momentum. If you are still dropping one to two pounds a week just keep going. If progress stalls check the numbers below. I used age 60 in the example so adjust for yourself. Use the 1982 BMR formula and skip exercise calories. My target came out to 1200 but the calculation here shows 1482 after subtracting 500. You were not on a high dose of tirzepatide yet either. Injecting every five days gives peaks near 14 mg while every seven days at 15 mg gets closer to 21 mg peaks.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 21

I am 6 foot 2, now 199 pounds after starting at 282. That is a 29 percent loss in 34 weeks. The math shows an average daily deficit of about 1100 to 1200 calories. The simple answer is your calorie intake is still too high. Tirzepatide works by lowering hunger and how much you can eat so you can stick with it long term.

RustHarbour17archiveAug 21

Harder or easier may not be the right way to look at it. The last 30 pounds are just different from the first 30. The first round meant changing diet, breaking old patterns, fixing habits, plus finding the medication and getting comfortable injecting. That part is done. The next stretch means locking in exercise, adding muscle so you burn more at rest, tweaking food choices, and paying attention to smaller details.

BlueHarbour27archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Thanks, this is helpful. I have been allowing more calories than I should given a BMR of 2027. My target was 1858 and I stayed under most days but still ate more than needed. I was pushing extra food to meet protein goals. You are right that my numbers were off because I used the watch data instead of calculating BMR properly. I need to lower my daily target a bit more.

QuietAnchor10archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @BlueHarbour27

I use the same app. Tracking intake has helped a lot. I skip the paid GLP tracking add-on though because it costs too much.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @BlueHarbour27

Try setting protein at 120 grams a day which is 480 calories. Add a 30 gram fat minimum for another 270 calories. Then 100 grams of carbs for 400 more. That gives a workable daily floor around 1150 calories. Walking is useful for burning extra calories and you can add incline to increase the effect. I was burning 500 calories a day from walking when I first started.

BlueHarbour27archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @LevelThistle44

Those numbers work well for me. I stayed on track today after updating the targets. It is almost 9 pm and I feel good. My wife and I have started walking every evening again after letting other things get in the way the last few months. Thanks for the help.

SharpCinder28archiveAug 22

That is why some people never reach their original goal, especially outside certain sources where options and motivation are lower. Plateaus at least give skin and muscle time to adjust. Labs can look fine even before hitting a target weight. If tirzepatide alone is not enough there are other options like switching compounds.

IronThistle53archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

I agree. I reached a point where I felt good about how I looked and stopped focusing only on a scale number. I started paying more attention to blood pressure, body fat percentage, and how I felt during long rides or kayaking. Body fat became the bigger focus. I also keep meaning to get bloodwork done but keep putting it off.

NorthWillow72archiveAug 22
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

For many people tirzepatide works fine depending on how much effort they put into food and exercise. This person seems committed. Still, some low responders may need to combine compounds.

BlueHarbour27archiveAug 22

Thanks for the encouragement. It does feel different this time compared with past attempts. The medication gives a real sense of control over what happens to my body. I appreciate the info and support.

AmberSignal35archiveSep 21

Movement helps everything. Relying on diet alone for fat loss while trying to keep muscle is always tough. If regular lifting or walking feels hard, start with exercise bands and look up simple routines for them. They are surprisingly effective. Inactivity makes weight loss harder once your metabolism adjusts to the new lower weight.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.