Forum › News & Policy

More Good News on Longer Life with GLP-1s

23 replies15 peopleSep 2, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Does semaglutide extend lifespan in old mice like calorie restriction, and what does that suggest for humans wanting longer or healthier lives?

A mouse study found semaglutide started late in life added 12% to lifespan and mimicked calorie restriction effects. Participants share excitement about GLP-1 drugs for longevity and reduced inflammation but debate whether extending years matters more than improving daily function and healthspan. Some cite personal health gains and retirement goals while others question human proof and prefer quality over quantity. Blue zones longevity claims face skepticism as data artifacts.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some prioritize any lifespan gain while others insist better daily health and experiences matter far more than extra years.

Still open

Whether GLP-1 drugs will actually extend maximum lifespan or healthspan in humans.

Nothing here is advice.

23 replies · 15 people
SteadyTimber22archiveopening postSep 2

Great news again! Giving semaglutide to elderly mice boosted their life by 12 percent. The study. It appears similar to those calorie restriction experiments. I still don't claim to get how it works, despite my made-up pharmabro degree!

BlueAlder28archiveSep 2
↳ replying to @SteadyTimber22 (opening post)

Same here! Seriously, that article is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've been saying for months these GLP drugs will change medicine. We're only seeing the start. Reta and tumors, sema and longevity, VIP and blood vessel growth, BPC/TB and swelling, and so on. Exciting times ahead.

SteadyTimber22archiveSep 2

The part I find most interesting is that the mice were already old, equal to about a 60-year-old human. So this isn't something you'd need from birth, just a later boost for us mature folks.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 2

but I don't want to live longer

ClearBeacon24archiveSep 3
↳ replying to @KeenKettle50

Maybe one final option remains available after all?

NorthPebble46archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @KeenKettle50

Improving how I feel day to day matters more than stretching out my years. Cutting down on soreness, frailty, tiredness and all the rest like that would make a real difference.

BlueAlder28archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @NorthPebble46

I'm going for the complete set now. Since hearing about these meds my fresh aim is to stick around until that comet shows up once more. Back in 1986 I spotted it but felt let down. All the buildup pointed to daytime visibility and a real show yet nothing like that happened. At the time I was posted near Iceland doing sonar work amid the old superpower standoff and the location should have been perfect yet even with aids it stayed faint. The next pass looks far stronger because our world and the object sat on the wrong side of the star before. Reaching 2061 is the mark when I'll hit ninety-five. Government longevity charts put me at eighty-two. Straight projection from the twelve percent gain with one version suggests the others could add twenty percent and reach ninety-eight. Toss in left dominance which some link to nine fewer years and the picture worsens. Layer on a past role once ranked among the riskiest lines of work and it drops further. On the bright side retirement is close which ought to help. Any ideas for shifting the odds my direction would be useful.

BrightCompass57archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @NorthPebble46

Lots of folks assume these things have no connection at all, but that's simply not true.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

After I stop working, I hope to live by the Mediterranean sea in an attractive spot. The local dishes really appeal to me, and they promote better health as well. I also like the way of life and the inhabitants there. Choosing from Spain, Greece, or Italy turns out to be a pleasant problem to have.

QuietBramble34archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

That space rock is anticipated to travel near our planet without issues on Friday the thirteenth of April in twenty twenty nine. Luckily superior developments are arriving later too.

KeenKettle50archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @NorthPebble46

I wish we were like the Dunedain, able to just choose to die in our sleep when we want.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 6

No confirmed compounds exist that extend human longevity so far. Research takes far longer and costs more because we outlive typical lab animals by decades, while approval and support prove difficult when the target is not an existing disease. Various trials have tracked shifts in certain aging signals among people, though I remain doubtful about how meaningful those signals really are. Limited data also point to possible gains from reduced food intake or particular agents, without any clear demonstration of pushing the ceiling on total years or healthy years. Weight-management medicines look like the nearest option based on abundant indirect clues from both people and earlier animal work, and the recent mouse experiment produced straightforward results even when dosing began late in life. Rodent successes often fail to carry over, as happened repeatedly with models of brain disorders. I would prefer to stay free of major decline for more time rather than simply add years spent frail or limited.

LevelTimber64archiveSep 6
↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

It matched my experiences right before the risky occupation reference came up.

SharpCinder28archiveSep 10

I wonder whether these compounds might end up marking a major step forward against age related decline, via some surprising routes toward reducing dementia risks.

SteadyTimber22archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

my backup for later years relies on total memory failure so having zero savings won't even register with me!!

SharpCinder28archiveSep 12

I went into this with more doubt than endurance, trying tiny amounts of a GLP-1 type compound to ease long-term swelling. The lab numbers shifted further than I had guessed they would, with one key inflammation reading falling by seventy-three percent. Even so, I kept wondering if that small intake had actually shifted how I felt in daily life. The readings looked stronger, yet nothing about me had changed. When the numbers move but the way one experiences ordinary days stays flat, what has really been gained beyond some abstract picture of a far-off future self?

QuietCinder66archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @BlueAlder28

Restricting calories has the strongest proof so far for stretching lifespan in lots of different animals. Folks say a changed Mediterranean eating pattern ranks highest for protecting human hearts, so it might also support the longest possible life.

NorthPebble46archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

It seems pointless to exert so much only to end up with reduced finances along with squandered moments. My preference lies in enjoying company of loved ones amidst natural surroundings and the like.

AmberMeadow80archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

Like the writer I noticed my CRP numbers dropping once I began this regimen. On top of that my ulcerative colitis episodes now hit less often and feel milder when they do occur. A recent scope showed clear drops in swelling inside the colon. Handing over some cash plus a few seconds each week for the shots feels fair when it brings steadier health from quieter inflammation. That still leaves plenty of room for friends interests and time outside.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @NorthPebble46

I enjoy keeping myself occupied and find enjoyment in every location I visit. I've seen many places around the globe and collected plenty of positive memories from my adventures. Should everything conclude right now, I'd view my time as fully satisfying. Even so, right before starting on these medications, my physique was heading downhill. Extra weight along with poor lab results and rising blood pressure didn't match my outlook on enjoying life everywhere. It felt more like getting ready for disappointment no matter the destination. After using them, my physician advises against further reduction in weight, and my tests look great along with stable pressure readings. While I might be easing up in numerous aspects, I'm much more capable of sustaining that extended period of enjoyment in different spots, and these treatments play a big role in it.

SteadyTimber22archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @QuietCinder66

I know plenty of folks who base their eating habits on reports from those special longevity spots famous for hitting a hundred years old, including spots in Greece along with a few islands and other places. Sounds promising on the surface but the stories don't hold up when examined closely. A bunch of the numbers trace back to scams for collecting retirement checks or dodging required military service.

NorthPebble46archiveSep 13
↳ replying to @SteadyTimber22

Right on, Diplomat! I stumbled upon this scientist thanks to an award he earned for unusual achievements, specifically after he showed that plenty of those considered top agers had passed on or held incorrect details about their birth years. His lengthy article is accessible without payment over the web.

AmberBeacon57archiveSep 13

I want to reach a century while staying fit. Getting past that point would feel like a huge win. People focused on life extension think we only need to remain healthy for about a decade before the point where gains outpace aging kicks in.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.