Forum › Dosing & Titration

Should I tell my doctor about using retatrutide after big A1C improvements

32 replies23 peopleAug 23, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Should I disclose retatrutide or other GLP-1 use to my doctor when labs improve dramatically from diabetes

Users share varied strategies for handling doctor visits after starting retatrutide alongside diet and exercise changes that normalize blood sugar. Most advise mentioning a compounded or online GLP-1 rather than full details, while a few disclose everything or attribute gains only to lifestyle. Several note that doctors rarely probe further once a plausible explanation is given and that insurance or liability concerns influence how much to share.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether partial disclosure counts as lying or is sufficient for medical safety versus full transparency

Still open

How to handle potential long-term interactions with existing prescriptions like thyroid or blood pressure meds

Nothing here is advice.

32 replies · 23 people
SharpBramble80archiveopening postAug 23

I expect my doctor will wonder about my A1C once it shows up in the normal range. I have type 2 diabetes and started retatrutide a month ago while also eating low carb and high protein, lifting, and cycling. My daily glucose checks now average 90 to 95, with recent morning readings around 87. I was talking with a coworker about whether to mention what I am taking.

SlowLantern29archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

Only if they ask. I updated my medications through the patient portal last visit and picked the brand name option at a standard dose even though it was not exact. No one questioned it and the nurse just confirmed I was still on it during the appointment. There is no need to mention anything else. Several threads cover this topic.

AmberBeacon57archiveAug 23

It could create liability issues for the doctor so I avoid putting them in that spot. I just mention alternate day fasting and keto instead since those also improve numbers. I would only share if it mattered medically. Keeping insurance out of it is another reason.

PatientHarbour28archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @SharpBramble80 (opening post)

I would just mention working hard on diet and point to the weight loss as the reason. Showing some muscle gain helps make it believable. My own doctor gets things wrong sometimes and I no longer correct her because I do not rely on her for much anyway.

SharpBramble80archiveAug 23

Thanks for the ideas. Looking forward to seeing the first set of labs next week.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @AmberBeacon57

Why would it be a liability if the patient simply says they are using a GLP1 from online? That is truthful and relevant to the lab changes. Crediting only fasting and keto instead means missing out on useful input from the visit. At some point it makes more sense to skip the doctor altogether.

QuietPebble46archiveAug 23

Just list everything you mentioned except the retatrutide and the doctor will get it. Those results can happen without it but the medication made it easier. Good job.

BrightMeadow15archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @SlowLantern29

Same experience here. My health needs have grown more complicated over the last few years with several different prescriptions and specialists. If the doctor did not sign the prescription it is just information to them. The only comment I got was from my endo about testosterone from another clinic. The system is so divided that staying in their lane is normal. Do not lie about the GLP-1 though because they need to know about the changes it causes. If you are nervous just note tirzepatide.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @SharpBramble80 (opening post)

I did not answer directly earlier. My usual reply is that I am taking a GLP1 from online and they can assume it is compounded. The exact type does not affect their decisions much. When a form asked for a checkbox we picked tirzepatide because it was close enough and further details were not needed medically.

SharpBramble80archiveAug 23

I am already on meds for thyroid, cholesterol, and blood pressure. My doctor wanted to add metformin but I said no. I worry about how peptides might interact with what I take now so I am leaning toward telling him. If the retatrutide works well I may be able to stop some of the others later. I am also curious what others do in similar situations.

PlainAlder11archiveAug 23

No diabetes here but my cholesterol and A1C were borderline before. The next tests looked better and the one after that improved more. The doctor did not ask so I did not bring it up even though I had lost weight. I would just say a GLP1.

CopperAlder51archiveAug 23

My doctor smiled after seeing my labs six months ago once I said I was on compounded tirzepatide. No issues at all. Next visit I will be another thirty five pounds down and I hope that goes smoothly too.

RustHarbour17archiveAug 23

I told my doctor right away that I started on compounded sema. The weight loss has been big but I still have more to go. My arthritis feels better so I move more, my blood pressure is finally normal on meds, and fasting glucose is lower. The medication helps make better habits possible but it is not the only factor.

CopperPebble16archiveAug 23

I wonder how many people already have coverage for a brand name GLP through their insurance based on their health conditions but have not checked. Most insured patients with diabetes do have coverage and about half do for weight loss.

RustHarbour17archiveAug 23

My doctor said she has not been able to get coverage for anyone. The insurance requires trying many other options first and even then approval is not guaranteed. Qualifying for the medication and actually getting it paid for each month are separate issues.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

I prefer to handle GLP decisions myself without involving a doctor for access. My insurance was not interested anyway.

RustQuill94archiveAug 23

I believe my doctor should know everything I take. I recently added another peptide on top of tirzepatide and testosterone. I had early stage kidney cancer a couple years ago so there are theoretical worries about one of the peptides possibly affecting tumor growth even though studies suggest the opposite. I accept the risk. Even with illegal substances I would still inform the doctor in case of interactions with anything they might prescribe.

CopperAlder51archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

Mine stopped covering GLPs after initially allowing them.

AmberTimber37archiveAug 23

I was nervous too. At my last endo visit I said upfront that I hoped they would not drop me as a patient but that I was using gray market retatrutide. The response was that it explained the big lab improvements. We then talked more about peptides in general. The doctor advised being careful with sources and testing, noted good responses in male patients, and looked forward to being able to prescribe it someday. They will not recommend it but are fine with patients choosing it and following a strict plan.

SteadySparrow75archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

GLPs are one area where I stay in full control of dosing and choice. Unless a brand name version is free my own versions are cheaper and I keep a long term supply ready.

ClearBeacon24archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @SharpBramble80 (opening post)

Mine reacted when I went from 6.3 to 5.5 in six months and then to 5.1 two months later. He asked how and seemed surprised. I love your dog by the way.

WarmMeadow92archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @RustQuill94

I mostly agree but I am hesitant to mention a new protocol with a non approved medication to my primary care doctor because it is a large practice. I have noted tirzepatide use with them but nothing beyond that.

LevelThistle44archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @RustQuill94

Expecting a typical primary care doctor to understand my full health picture better than I do feels unrealistic. An annual visit with basic labs does not match the attention I give my own health. I see them mainly for routine issues and lab orders I request. Beyond that a specialist makes more sense. Sharing everything would probably lead to a long discussion that helps neither of us. As a side note I am in good health overall and get my prescriptions from specialists.

BlueFenwick71archiveAug 23

My doctor was fine with it once I mentioned using a GLP even though insurance does not cover any. I may not have even said compounded. I am looking forward to the next visit after losing over twenty five pounds and getting new blood work especially the cholesterol numbers.

RustKettle37archiveAug 23

Slowed digestion from a GLP1 can affect how other medications work or require dose changes. It is worth telling your doctor you are getting one from a compounding pharmacy if you rely on them for other prescriptions.

SteadyLedger49archiveAug 23

It will feel strange at my next visit because my recorded weight was four hundred forty five pounds and now it is two hundred.

SteadySparrow75archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @RustKettle37

When discussing medication changes I told the nurse practitioner I had stopped my statin a couple months earlier. She just noted it. Later blood work showed my cholesterol numbers were all in a good range again.

BrightMeadow15archiveAug 23
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

I believe I do have coverage and confirmed it in 2025. My BMI hovers around twenty nine to thirty with two or more other conditions so I would qualify. The issue is that one month of the brand name costs as much as ten or twelve months of the other option. If the medication is the same then going through insurance does not make sense. Even with coverage there are deductibles and lots of paperwork required each time. The system is not built to help the patient so I will not use coverage for these medications unless required.

SharpBramble80archiveAug 24

Thanks, she is my old girl. Yours is cute too.

GreyLedger65archiveAug 25

Your doctor cannot prescribe safely without knowing everything you take. Tell them. If they react badly then find a different doctor. Mine knows I am on tirzepatide and when asked where I got it I said an online place.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.