Forum › Training & Muscle

What’s your favorite workout?

18 replies16 peopleSep 20, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

What workouts or exercises do people enjoy most and why?

Forum users share a wide range of favorite activities from gym machines and kettlebell routines to hiking, stairs, and bodyweight work. Several describe adapting after injuries by switching to lower-impact options like swimming or walking while still pushing to stay active. Replies often build on prior posts by praising achievements or suggesting related moves.

What this discussion establishes

Nothing here is advice.

18 replies · 16 people
WarmAnchor39archiveopening postSep 20

Lat pulldowns are my top pick. Working the back is what I enjoy.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 20

Kettlebell halos along with very fast walking.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 20

Years back I was all about hiking and that suited me perfectly. The back pain I have mentioned has gotten worse, from annoying to the point I need to see a spine surgeon soon. An MRI I had this week showed results that even my ChatGPT doctor called not good. I always expected that eventually something would stop me from hiking, and that thought was on my mind when I got ultralight gear and headed to Georgia to start on the Appalachian trail. I covered just over a thousand miles in two and a half months and stopped in Maryland right before turning sixty. It was glorious. My advice is to keep moving and stay fit. I am not quitting and maybe more hiking is ahead, but I am happy with what I have done and have plenty to remember. I am nowhere near done and will find another way to stay active. Swimming sounds like a good low impact choice.

WryHarbour43archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

I love reading that. Two relatives of mine finished the AT, one in sections over years and one as a thru hiker. I enjoy hiking but do not get out as much as I would like. I can picture doing more once the kids are older and I have extra time. Your story feels familiar because I know someday I will step on a basketball court for the final time. I had a bad back injury in my early thirties that I have handled so far with rehab and occasional shots. Along with bone spurs under my heels, one of those will probably end it eventually. I am trying to enjoy it while I can. My favorite gym move is loading the hack squat and pairing it with shoulder thrusters. It is very intense, works many muscles together, and is one of the few lifts where I am stronger than the guys I train with.

RustQuill56archiveSep 20

Pretty much any session from that trainer on YouTube. They are free, tough, varied, and offer lots of program choices. She is the best. Guys should not skip her just because she is female. My husband and I both like her workouts and often she lifts more than he does even though he is strong. Start with her Iron series and you will not regret it.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 20

I keep things basic. Twenty flights of stairs, one set of push ups, and at least ten thousand steps each day while at work. On weekends I spend two hours with a sixty pound backpack and three pound ankle weights while walking plus some kettlebell halos. I will probably add farmers carries soon.

SteadyTimber22archiveSep 20

I nearly ran a half marathon yesterday but talked myself out of it at the last minute.

LevelHarbour53archiveSep 20

I really liked the original Juggernaut Method. Lifting things up and putting them down was great for building strength and it could be adjusted in many ways. My knees cannot take it anymore but deadlift day was always my favorite.

PlainLedger17archiveSep 20
↳ replying to @RustQuill56

I love that trainer too. She kept me in shape for two years when I did not have a gym membership.

SlowCinder32archiveSep 21

Getting myself over to the gym already feels like a success 😂 I usually end up walking uphill on the treadmill. During that I can catch an episode, browse the forum, hunt for label designs and similar stuff while moving, which turns the whole thing into something I like.

LevelKettle39archiveSep 21

Kettlebells and even more kettlebells.

RustCompass54archiveSep 21

Kettlebell snatch EMOMs where you do a set of snatches on each arm every minute, picking reps that challenge you but still allow a short rest. Do this for ten to fifteen minutes. It draws from some kettlebell programs others can check out. Monday uses medium weight with moderate volume for ten minutes. Wednesday uses light weight with higher volume for fifteen minutes. Friday uses heavy weight with lower volume for ten minutes. This gives two rest days after the heavy session and two before the medium one. Some start the week heavy instead. It takes practice to set the right volume but it lets you get the work done in the time most people spend driving to a gym. I am also working to add another complex into a similar schedule for the other days. The formula uses two kettlebell

SharpCinder28archive1d

I enjoyed my visit to Tuscon. Of course watch the e-bike battery since I know someone who ended up in a burn unit.

RustAlder28archive1d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

Halos and around the worlds have helped my core and shoulder strength and mobility more than anything else. Add goblet squats and farmer carries and you will increase the sweat and cardio effect.

ClearLantern70archive16h
↳ replying to @RustAlder28

Yesterday I made a sixty pound concrete block to use for farmer carries. Next I'll search for goblet squats along with around the worlds. Appreciate it! Couple weeks back I began strapping on ankle weights daily. They stay attached through my entire shift. Normally that means twelve thousand steps plus twenty to forty stair flights on the job with five pounds per ankle.

Dancing was my thing before, and it remains the cardio I enjoy most. When it comes to lifting sessions, though, leg day is what I anticipate eagerly. Roughly eighteen months back I damaged my knees and had to skip lower body exercises entirely. Now that I can do them again and notice improvements, my self-assurance has grown tremendously.

BlueSparrow33archive7h

I really enjoy my chest and arm session when lifting weights. Once my shoulders are loosened up I move into flat flyes on the bench followed by angled presses with dumbbells where I push the final round to exhaustion. For arms I do curls while seated using hand weights then straight bar versions until the last effort gives out and also the reverse grip ones ending in failure. These days my peptide combination includes BPC157 plus Ipa. The problem is arthritis bothering my middle back along with the right shoulder.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.