Forum › Food & Appetite

The more physical activity I do, the more intense the hunger suppression gets, anyone else?

16 replies13 peopleSep 28, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Does exercise intensify appetite suppression on reta or similar medications?

Multiple users report that heavy physical activity like hiking or lifting amplifies hunger reduction while on reta, sometimes lasting days afterward and making eating difficult despite high energy. Explanations include boosted natural GLP-1, lowered ghrelin, cortisol release, and the drug's GIP/glucagon effects magnifying cardio benefits. A few note the opposite pattern or no change, and one mentions salt cravings bypassing suppression.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether activity always suppresses appetite or sometimes increases it

Nothing here is advice.

16 replies · 13 people
KeenCinder20archiveopening post6d

Over the last few weeks I've seen this recurring thing and wondered if others experience it. After hiking more than ten miles, eating becomes impossible for me, even water is hard to get down, but energy levels stay high which feels odd. This lasts two or three days, making it tough to eat at all, until hunger comes back and I resume eating once daily. It seems tied to heavy exercise, which boosts the reta effect and wipes out appetite.

RustTimber42archive6d
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20 (opening post)

I notice the same pattern. Lifting three mornings a week used to leave me ravenous within two hours, but on reta the opposite occurs and I can only manage small amounts three or four hours later. On rest days there's mild food noise without real hunger, easily handled with a carrot and water. High activity days now leave me less hungry than low activity ones. I suspect the body quiets appetite after burning mostly fat stores, similar to how active days made intermittent fasting easier before.

Probably the activity is increasing the GLP-1 my body produces on its own, since the same thing happens to me while using the medication.

GreenMeadow54archive6d

Yeah, that matches what happened with me too. It never occurred to me to investigate until I noticed your post. After checking around a bit, I learned that tough exercise routines raise GLP output and lower Ghrelin output. This means reduced appetite happens on days when training occurs.

The effect shows up even without those meds, but it ramps up once you start them. Moving your body can take the place of eating because it triggers the stress hormone. That reaction comes from an old instinct to stay alive. Prior to beginning the treatment, a quick stroll replaced my evening meal and also my morning one. My stress hormone readings sat quite elevated back then, which may not be ideal.

So far everything shared here checks out completely. That's especially noticeable with reta and it happens by itself even if no glp is involved. Cardio results end up much stronger because of the gip and glucagon parts. Definitely continue making progress.

I see what you mean too. Foods high in salt seem risky for me personally. Maybe it's just how my body reacts or maybe there's a reason for it, but the effect doesn't seem to hit how salt registers on my tongue. I watch my portions closely since going overboard always leaves me wishing I hadn't later on. Sweet items work differently though, with no interest whatsoever, and even a quick taste of one makes me stop right away. That's helpful given how diabetes appears to be closing in.

BlueSignal49archive5d
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20 (opening post)

My situation turned out differently, including during the period I took the highest amount of that first medication briefly. These days with the current one at six milligrams, I don't feel the urge to overindulge in all sorts of foods; instead, I tend to go for a bowl of Greek yogurt or some salad, and that leaves me content afterward.

SharpCinder28archive5d

Yesterday's physical activity exceeded any effort I'd made throughout the prior twelve months. No alteration occurred in my hunger levels. Before those meds, activity often led to increased appetite.

I started lifting weights today for the first time following my opening injection with Reta. I powered through the standard breakfast I always have, made from yogurt mixed with chia seeds, protein, and granola. Nevertheless, I feel quite full at the moment and lack any appetite for extra portions, so perhaps that indicates progress.

WarmLantern16archive5d
↳ replying to @GreenMeadow54

Too bad that didn't turn out the same way for me. Taking it especially makes me feel way more hungry.

IronKettle44archive5d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

Thriving on risky vibes with stress hormones! An early jog during rest periods triggers huge drops in hunger pangs, so I suddenly blurt about needing to grab food right away! 😆😆

IronKettle44archive5d
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

That profile picture looks fantastic! 😍😍🥰🥰 My dark cat constantly begs for food yet remains ungrateful.

↳ replying to @IronKettle44

This one never stops eating, yet he maintains good manners, which sets him apart from the other pair. It cracks me up how his face always suggests he's pondering life's big questions. That might actually be happening, since intelligence isn't his strong suit. He and my tortoiseshell cat are inseparable companions.

IronKettle44archive5d
↳ replying to @BrightCinder50

Life sure works in odd ways sometimes. My sibling's very first pair of pets, both now gone, got those playful titles as tiny pale fluffy brothers. Then comes the whole deep pondering and endless appetite thing, ha. My own pup acts annoying now and then yet stays really lovable overall. He puts serious effort into giving disapproving stares too.

PlainAlder11archive5d

Last week I began some mild weight training right in my place to firm a few things. So far everything feels okay without going overboard.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.