I wondered whether the medication could carry the whole load by itself. For me it only works if I also watch calories and move more. It mainly helps me turn down food and feel full sooner, yet sweets sitting around still win. The same pattern showed up on Wegovy. Low-volume, high-calorie snacks keep beating me.
Does your GLP-1 do all the work?
Do GLP-1 drugs handle weight loss by themselves or do users still need to track food and stay active?
Participants split on whether the medications do the majority of the work. Some report that once food noise and cravings drop they can eat without tracking and still lose, while others say they continue counting macros, exercising, and forcing calories to avoid under-eating. Most agree the drugs make adherence easier but do not replace all effort, and several expect lifelong use to hold the new weight.
What this discussion establishes- GLPs reduce hunger signals and quiet food noise for most users
- Some still track protein, calories, and movement to protect muscle and health
- A minority stop all tracking and rely on the medication alone for maintenance
- Sweets and high-calorie snacks remain tempting if kept in the house
- Long-term dependence on the drug is viewed as likely by many
Whether the medication can fully replace conscious food choices and exercise or whether those habits remain necessary for sustainable results.
Still openHow low a maintenance dose can go while still controlling weight without any tracking or lifestyle effort.
Nothing here is advice.
Yes, the peptides carry the discipline part. I still handle the numbers and planning so progress stays on course. My only ongoing discipline is logging the data and doing the shots. Long-term exercise for weight control rarely works, so I get to enjoy food without the usual trade-offs.
You still end up making plenty of decent choices. The drug simply lowers the effort by quieting food thoughts and removing urges. Some users feel sick after heavy fats, which adds another brake, but overall it just smooths the process. You get full faster, stay full longer, and feel more satisfied. It fixes the broken signals that push overeating, which is why it succeeds for more people than plain diet and exercise.
I dropped 40 kg on keto carnivore OMAD first, then added a low dose of reta on top. It helps but does not replace the rest of what I was already doing.
At first I let tirz carry most of it while I got oriented, maybe a month. After that I sorted protein sources, planned meals, added electrolytes, ran more, and started lifting. Now I feel like I am doing the real work and I enjoy it. I have not felt this good before.
I should explain the question. A livestream surprised me because the woman said she never tracks and has no interest in starting. She has stayed on 12.5 mg for maintenance over a year and intends to continue forever. My first reaction was that this approach does not match how the drug works for me and is not the outcome I want. I would rather reach a dose that keeps cravings manageable without full reliance on the medication.
My stack handles silencing food thoughts, cutting appetite, slowing stomach emptying, better insulin response, and improved liver numbers. I handle food decisions, fluids, movement, macros, and vitamins. It is a joint, ongoing project for better health.
I started as a no, but after reading that post I reconsidered. My stomach now feels much smaller. Hunger and food thoughts no longer shout at me constantly. I feel mostly indifferent to the mild urges that remain. I still enjoy meals, just differently, so the medication appears to be doing the main job while I ride along.
The right dose for me keeps the full feeling, lowers the loud food thoughts, and improves how I relate to eating. I am not lowering it just to test things. If the controls ease up, the old patterns return. I trust the medication more than I trust food.
I track mainly protein to hit a daily minimum. Carbs and fats need less attention. For calories I aim for at least 1000-1200 on average as a floor, not a ceiling. Some days protein lands at 120-150 g but total calories stay low, so I add a snack board or peanut butter crackers. I still like good food regularly. Studies indicate most people stay dependent on the medication to keep weight stable. It felt odd at first, but accepting that changed how I think about it.
I watch that channel too and they present the drugs as a non-diet route. They often say just increase the dose instead of changing food. It worked for them, yet that is not the route I chose. I treat the medication as a tool that helps control appetite and supports smaller, smarter portions. I know people who gained on these drugs and have read about stalls even at top doses. At 63 I expect to stay on one for life, which feels normal at this age. If I were younger my view might differ. I want to reach maintenance soon.
I would say yes. My exercise level has not changed, but it feels much easier and my cardio improves as weight drops. The medication manages hunger so my usual routine stays intact with almost no extra effort beyond the weekly shot.
Absolutely not. I lift six days a week, do full-body sessions followed by stairmaster, and run three times weekly. I also log every calorie to stay fueled. The drug only stops me from grabbing sweets from the cupboard. I was already doing the training and tracking before.
That may be true for some, but at 69 very little bothers me anymore.
That matches how I see them. Obesity is a disease, yet depending only on medication never seemed ideal. Your results are clear. I aim for 2000 calories daily with a protein focus. I still want my metabolism checked because the numbers from calculators and my watch cannot be right or I would have wasted away.
The medication takes care of food noise, fixation on snacks, and cravings for me. It also removes hunger pangs. I still handle calorie and macro tracking, hit protein and fiber targets, stay hydrated, lift three or four times a week, and hit my step goal. I see many people online trying to eat by feel alone without knowing their TDEE or whether they are in a steady deficit, then wonder why they stall or drop too fast.
It is just ego and self-image. Now I am simply someone who uses the shots and gets good results. I am waiting on my next DEXA scan. The word only carries a lot of weight in that sentence. People with diabetes rely on insulin yet still watch meals. Eating well is different from restrictive dieting. My goal is visible abs while still enjoying food and activities. Last night I had pizza and skipped a cinnamon roll because it did not look worth it. The medication helped that choice more than any strict rule would have. A year ago I would have taken it anyway.
Reta carries most of the load for me. I still try to keep protein up and lift so muscle stays protected.
I can lose while eating ice cream, but now a pint lasts a week or more instead of two hours. Pizza portions are roughly half what they were and I order it less often. A salad before the meal fills me more than it used to. My base diet was already decent, I was simply eating far too much volume before.
I cap at 2000. The lowest calculators say I should burn around 3000 and my watch says 4000. If either were accurate I would be skin and bones by now.
No. I am also fasting and exercising. My food choices have been solid for years with no sugar, wheat, or high carbs, yet weight loss stayed slow until the medication. It simply makes the process easier now.
For me the drugs do every bit of the lifting. Four months in on a modest dose I have to remind myself to hit protein and water targets. Sweets now make me queasy so the desire is gone. I know this easy phase may not last forever.
I am jealous, not going to lie.
I would not say it does everything, but it helps me stick to the plan. It is like a bodybuilder who already has training and diet locked in and then adds compounds for the final edge. The compounds help, yet the training, cardio, diet, and sleep still have to happen. I keep using a tracker, do zone-two cardio, stay in a deficit, and the medication just makes it easier to trust the process. Years ago I lost 40 lb with calories in versus out and running, then some weight returned. The first week on the medication I noticed treats sitting out that neither my sister nor I reached for. It felt like we had forgotten they were there.
Yes, you eat much better than I do and lose like a machine. I gain just from seeing the pictures.
They do, and I have lost 60 lb in eight months. I have started lifting light weights and doing sit-ups, which is making a difference.
I disagree with skipping calorie, hydration, and macro tracking. If the dose is only high enough to manage cravings, that still means depending on the medication to control weight. Tell yourself whatever story feels better.
I know the feeling. This is the first medication I have responded well to.
I see the medication as support for the overall goal. I notice I need more protein now, yet I still fall short. I start the day with a 30 g shake and sometimes add another at night. I snack on eggs, jerky, or fruit instead of a full lunch and have to remind myself to eat a protein lunch. Dinner is usually normal with meat, vegetables, and sometimes starch. Cravings for sweets are weak and a couple bites satisfy them. Salty crunchy snacks tempt me but I do not keep them around. I walk and cycle but need more strength work. I wonder whether the medication is doing most of the job.
Reta got things moving and made me want to add lifestyle changes. In your case sweets still tempt you, so the medication has not removed the need for discipline, which would disappoint me. At a low dose of 2.25 mg twice weekly almost all food noise vanished and I have not touched chocolate, pastries, ice cream, chips, or beer in seven months. The noise is starting to return, but I am now committed to the new habits. Like an alcoholic with one drink, one chocolate bar is not an option for me.
Full agreement. Tirzepatide worked like magic for me. Now hoping reta will be even better.
This. I am a recovering alcoholic so I understand. I allow myself a sweet on busy work days when I have moved a lot, but otherwise I stay away. It is a slippery slope.
My wife keeps chips, chocolate, cookies, and ice cream within reach, yet I have avoided all of it so far. I credit the medication rather than my own discipline.
I lost 40 lb before these drugs. It became much easier afterward. I still eat well and exercise, and I am a healthy 42-year-old who can get 12k-30k steps at work. I would like to hear from people who sit at desks all day, are not fit enough to train, or have injuries that limit movement.
I am running an experiment right now. I lost 70 kg a couple of years ago, kept it off for a year, then started low-dose ozempic and later switched to tirz and reta, dropping another 13 kg with less hunger. Until recently my diet stayed extremely consistent: low calorie density, very low fat, very high protein, no rewarding or addictive foods, and 1600-1900 kcal. Weight held around 64 kg for months. Lately I have relaxed some restrictions to test whether the current dose can keep appetite in check without strict calorie or food-type limits, the way non-overweight bodies manage weight.
Related discussions
- Great new article about GLP-1 in NY Times about their various uses and the science around GLP-1s
- What’s your biggest GLP-1 pet peeve?
- Standalone vs stacked amylin agonist use after GLP-1 therapy: dosing, mechanisms and long-term questions
- GLP-1 weight stall discussed
- GLP-1 - what are your non-scale victories or goals?
Add your experience
If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.