Forum › Stacking & Switching

Starting with reta only or stacking with tesa

32 replies19 peopleSep 22, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Should a first-time user begin with retatrutide alone or add tesamorelin right away for better visceral fat results?

Most participants advise starting with retatrutide by itself to assess tolerance and results before considering any addition. Several report that retatrutide alone produces substantial weight loss and that tesamorelin is unnecessary unless IGF-1 is low or a stall occurs later. A minority who have stacked both describe improved body composition and muscle retention, but they still recommend introducing compounds sequentially. Baseline IGF-1 testing is mentioned repeatedly as a prudent step before adding tesamorelin.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether tesamorelin adds meaningful benefit for someone with average IGF-1 levels versus only subtle or placebo-level effects

Still open

Optimal timing and dosing for adding tesamorelin after retatrutide, and long-term outcomes of early stacking

Nothing here is advice.

32 replies · 19 people
GreyBramble68archiveopening post6d

Morning everyone. As someone new to all this I was planning to begin with reta by itself so I can learn how my body responds and whether it supports the weight loss I want. At the same time I keep thinking about adding tesa because of its effect on visceral fat, but I worry that might be too much at once. Would it be better to go slow with just reta first, or is starting both together reasonable for a beginner? Still learning the basics and would appreciate input from anyone who has used either, especially those who added the second one later.

Handle one compound at a time. You will likely find reta is enough by itself. How many pounds are you hoping to drop?

AmberMeadow80archive6d

Choose a single one and run that.

WarmCompass44archive6d

Begin with reta. You may discover you do not require tesa at all.

The two work together because tesa directs fat loss more toward visceral areas while a GLP creates the calorie deficit that deepens the reduction in that tissue. Still, the standard approach with any new substance is to add them one by one, wait until things settle, then introduce the next so any issue can be traced to its source. Starting the GLP first makes sense. Getting a baseline IGF-1 reading before either is wise because you only get one chance at an accurate starting point and the GLP deficit will alter later readings.

When you write RT5 are you referring to a 5 mg vial of reta, and the same for tesa? Be sure you understand the dosing before you begin.

GreyTimber24archive6d

Just adding my interest here. I am already steady on reta and still dropping weight, yet the idea of combining it with tesa for extra synergy is tempting.

WryPebble78archive6d

Tesa requires a lot of effort. A reconstituted vial often does not last long. The approved version is meant to be mixed and used the same day with any leftover thrown out. If you are just beginning, stay with a GLP-1 and I would suggest the other one because it costs less and works well with fewer sides.

GreyTimber24archive6d
↳ replying to @WryPebble78

Really, it breaks down that quickly? That sounds inconvenient. Is there any supporting information for that?

RustAlder28archive6d

As others have noted, begin with reta alone and bring in additional peptides later if you hit a plateau or your aims shift. A reasonable way to start is 0.5 to 1 mg every five to seven days, continue that for a couple of weeks while monitoring how you feel, then raise the amount if needed.

GreyBramble68archive5d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

Looking to drop at least 10 kg for sure. I thought stubborn fat would require tesa, but maybe staying consistent with my workouts while on reta will be enough without it.

WryPebble78archive5d

The approved label for the brand-name version shows the product details. Searching for shelf life usually turns up fourteen days, yet in my experience it begins to thicken within seven. Overall the other option is more stable, requires smaller amounts per injection, and ends up cheaper.

↳ replying to @GreyBramble68

Ten kilograms is easily handled by reta. Run it for three months and only then think about tesa. You will not need it.

SharpCinder28archive5d

From the HIV research, tesa is mainly relevant for the smaller group of people who already have low IGF-1. That is when noticeable changes appear. Otherwise the advantages are fairly mild and often get credited to the wrong substance.

WryPebble78archive5d
↳ replying to @GreyBramble68

You will not need it. Even in the studies tesa did not change the number on the scale. It only showed reduced visceral fat on MRI scans.

GreyBramble68archive5d
↳ replying to @RustAlder28

Sorry if this next question makes me sound completely new to this. When I have a 5 mg reta vial, is the 0.5-1 mg amount measured after adding the water?

WarmCompass27archive5d

Plenty of us have used or still use tesa for waist reduction. As someone starting out you do not yet have truly stubborn belly fat, just fat distributed everywhere. Not trying to be harsh, but the reality is that reta by itself will probably give you the same outcome even if you added tesa this early. When body-fat percentage is still fairly high, most of the waist change will come from reta alone.

QuietKettle84archive5d

It would be smart to get a baseline IGF-1 test first to check whether tesa is even needed.

SharpKettle23archive5d

I like combining reta and tesa. I only needed to lose about fifteen pounds so I began with reta and the other GLP by themselves. That was my first experience with these compounds and the pair worked very well, dropping twenty pounds, though strength and muscle dropped noticeably too. A thin layer of fat still remained around the middle. I tried the other two and felt bad on them. Once tesa was added to the reta I have been on week nine of that stack, regained six pounds of muscle, and my stomach looks flatter than before. I am convinced and plan to keep a low dose of reta while cycling tesa on and off.

SlowLantern46archive5d

I wanted to do the same thing and was told by several people to let reta run its course first. That turned out to be good advice. I am now down forty-two pounds at goal weight. Using one at a time when possible helps you see what is actually working. Everyone responds differently. I do not have much stubborn belly fat left, though there is still some around the love handles, and at fifty-four I am trying to be realistic about fat in that area.

GreyBramble68archive5d
↳ replying to @SlowLantern46

Great to hear that! After seeing what everyone shared I have decided to begin with reta only and watch how it performs. I am twenty-eight so I want to get the weight down before things change again and the fat becomes harder to move.

SlowLantern46archive5d
↳ replying to @GreyBramble68

Sounds good. In my view everyone should pair reta with tracking food intake, steady cardio that costs nothing extra, and resistance training. Combining those makes the weight come off steadily. Without tracking you will never know why the scale moved or stayed put. It is not optional.

SharpLedger72archive5d

Same experience here. Increase reta gradually. After a month I added a small amount of the other GLP and stayed at low doses of each. Wait at least three months before introducing anything else.

BlueWillow45archive5d
↳ replying to @GreyBramble68 (opening post)

I think it is sensible to begin with one so you can tell what it is doing and whether it agrees with you. Later, if you add more, it becomes easier to figure out which one is causing any problem.

KeenThistle22archive5d
↳ replying to @GreyBramble68

No. Suppose you want 0.5 mg of the actual peptide. If the vial holds 5 mg and you add 2 ml of bacteriostatic water, then 0.2 ml of the solution will give you that 0.5 mg dose.

SharpCinder28archive5d
↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

There is also a reconstitution calculator available online that handles the math for you.

KeenThistle22archive5d

If the calculations are not your strong point, simply asking an AI the same question will give you the numbers you need.

SharpCinder28archive5d
↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

I sometimes cross-check with all three or four methods: the online calculator, a quick mental estimate, a regular calculator, and an AI query. I almost always use 3 ml of bacteriostatic water myself.

GreyBramble68archive5d
↳ replying to @WarmCompass27

Not rude at all. It really is not only belly fat. You are right that it is spread all over, especially thighs, butt, and lately I have noticed it in my arms too. Still, I will start with reta and see how things go.

GreyBramble68archive5d
↳ replying to @SharpCinder28

Would using 10 ml of bacteriostatic water be too much for a 5 mg or 10 mg reta vial? Is 3 ml sufficient?

LevelSignal72archive5d

I got good outcomes from using both. Reta drove the overall weight loss while tesa helped keep muscle during the deficit so the loss stayed mostly fat. If you are lifting, the IGF-1 rise from tesa can be helpful. I ran roughly 1-2 mg reta weekly and 1-2 mg tesa daily for about four months, moving from around 20 percent to 14 percent body fat and losing inches at the waist. I began both at the same time as my first peptide run. Reta also counters the hunger and insulin-sensitivity changes that can come with tesa. Checking baseline IGF-1 with bloodwork before starting, then retesting after four weeks and adjusting, is useful. Aiming for a z-score near 2.0 without sides is a reasonable target.

LevelSignal72archive5d
↳ replying to @GreyBramble68

Search for a peptide calculator online. Enter the vial size, how much water you added, and the dose you want. It will show how many units to draw into the syringe.

I combine both as well. Still here and down twenty-five pounds since July. I also follow a low-carb high-protein diet and ride over one hundred miles a month on the bike.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.