Forum › Training & Muscle

Is it possible to build muscle while on reta?

22 replies17 peopleOct 2, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Can you build or preserve muscle on retatrutide while losing weight quickly?

Most participants agree that rapid weight loss on reta tends to cause muscle loss along with fat, making true muscle gain difficult without a surplus or at least maintenance calories. Strength training and high protein intake help minimize loss and can support modest recomp, especially for beginners, though opinions differ on whether substantial gains are realistic in a deficit. Several users report preserving or even adding muscle while cutting by keeping protein high and training consistently, but faster loss rates are widely viewed as counterproductive.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether meaningful muscle gain is realistically possible in a calorie deficit on reta, or if a surplus is required.

Still open

How much the dose of reta affects the ability to eat sufficient protein for muscle retention.

Nothing here is advice.

22 replies · 17 people
KeenCinder20archiveopening post22h

I realized recently that the weight has been coming off quicker than I expected over the last few months. A lot of fat from my midsection, rear, and legs has disappeared, totaling nearly 40 pounds in about three and a half months. Now I want to focus on adding muscle. I already go to the gym a few times weekly but avoid heavy lifting because of back issues. I'm thinking about committing fully soon and maybe getting a trainer since I only know the basics.

QuietPebble46archive21h

It really depends on several factors. Beginners to lifting can add some muscle, but that potential drops quickly, especially if you're running a big calorie deficit like it seems you are. Building noticeable size generally needs a surplus or at least maintenance for recomp. Fast weight drops usually mean losing muscle along with fat, which is why hitting calorie goals matters instead of undereating.

KeenCinder20archive21h
↳ replying to @QuietPebble46

Would it make more sense to hit my target of 150 pounds first, drop to a low dose of reta, and then start focusing on muscle? Right now at 3 mg I struggle to get even 50 g of protein daily.

QuietPebble46archive21h
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20

I still wouldn't push for the fastest possible loss of both muscle and fat. Eating more to create a milder deficit would be better if fat loss is the goal. Struggling to hit 50 g of protein on 3 mg suggests the dose might be too high. At 2 mg I can finish my meals and stay satisfied longer while regularly getting over 120 g of protein.

RustMarble79archive21h

Plenty of strength athletes continue building muscle on reta. The ones I know mainly use it to quiet food noise and keep meals clean, plus they mention some metabolic perks. A trainer can suggest movements that work around back limitations. Many non-acute back issues can still be trained with progressive overload and controlled tempos. I've rehabbed my own back problems by starting with bodyweight squats, slow negatives, and limited range before adding weight again. Worth talking to a coach about options.

PlainAlder11archive17h

You've dropped 40 pounds in roughly 12 weeks? That's over 3 pounds a week, which feels pretty aggressive.

ClearLantern70archive17h

You can definitely lose fat and gain muscle at the same time on reta. I'm doing it. Hit one gram of protein per pound of lean body weight daily, train properly, sleep well, and aim for 1 to 1.5 pounds lost per week. You're dropping too quickly right now.

WarmLantern16archive16h

A calorie surplus is usually needed to add muscle, so if you can manage that on reta then yes, people have done it. Even in a deficit you can still get stronger, improve technique, and build fitness. Due to an ankle issue I've skipped cardio for months and spent more time lifting, and my numbers have gone up. Strength and size aren't completely the same thing.

AmberSignal47archive16h
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Get more protein in however you can. Stick to machines that keep your back supported. Also watch out for gallstones.

SteadyCinder74archive16h

Most people accept that adding muscle in a deficit while dropping weight fast is nearly impossible. Exceptions often involve testosterone or other anabolics plus growth hormone or similar compounds that offset the muscle-wasting effects of rapid loss and GLP-1s. That doesn't mean skipping strength work though. You need it plus enough protein to limit how much muscle you lose, and keep weekly loss under 1 percent of body weight.

ClearLantern70archive15h
↳ replying to @WarmLantern16

I'm in a big calorie deficit, losing weight, and still adding muscle. I managed it even with low testosterone in the low 200s. It is possible but requires careful balance and not overdoing sessions. A deficit can pair with a protein surplus using foods like chicken breast, cottage cheese, yogurt, and fish. I can reach 170 g protein under 1500 calories. Over a 3-pound total loss I've dropped an inch off my waist while my arms, legs, and chest look bigger, and my scale shows a 0.2-pound muscle increase. Now on TRT my levels are in the mid 400s and muscle is coming on about as fast as fat is leaving.

BrightBeacon35archive15h
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20

I'd keep lifting while cutting down to your goal weight. It improves how your body looks overall and makes recomp easier later. Holding off on training until you're at target weight will probably leave you with a result you like less. Ignore any snarky comments and look into it yourself to decide.

ClearLantern70archive14h

Some sensible resistance training helps limit muscle loss while the weight comes off. Holding on to what you have is a realistic and useful goal during a cut.

WarmCompass27archive14h

This sounds like a body recomp goal. If you're new to lifting it's much more doable than for someone who's trained steadily for years. Newbie gains can happen pretty easily if you don't lose more than about 3 pounds a week. Are you after muscle mainly for looks or for function and health?

AmberSignal35archive14h
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20 (opening post)

Resistance bands could work as an alternative to weights. You can create effective routines with them that avoid heavy impact, and over time they can strengthen stabilizing muscles that help with back issues.

BrightMeadow26archive13h

I came across an article on ScienceAlert about creatine. It mentioned that beyond gym use for recovery, new findings suggest it might help preserve muscle even without training, and could support the body and brain in other ways too.

AmberMeadow80archive13h
↳ replying to @BrightMeadow26

I've been thinking about adding creatine back in. Any recommendations on which ones are worth using or which to skip?

BrightBeacon35archive10h
↳ replying to @AmberMeadow80

I go with a third-party tested option that's reliable. Still, the general view is that creatine is creatine, so any well-known reputable brand should be fine.

IronLantern24archive8h

Yes, it's doable. I've managed it.

I did the same and I'm down 41 pounds since mid-June, though GH and TRT helped.

KeenPebble33archive6h
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20 (opening post)

As someone new to lifting you're set up to respond well to a solid program. The catch is that a deficit makes adding muscle harder until you reach maintenance and can increase calories. Lifting will still shift the weight you lose toward fat rather than muscle though. That's reliable. I followed that approach for the same reasons. With appetite suppressed and aiming for visible abs around 10-12 percent body fat, energy and motivation for training are lower. I'm not a beginner and have lifted most of my life, so a year off wasn't a big deal. Getting muscle back after a break is usually straightforward once eating and energy return to normal.

PlainAnchor17archive4h
↳ replying to @KeenCinder20 (opening post)

I had back pain in my twenties. Around thirty I started deadlifting despite warnings it would hurt my back, and the pain actually went away. I was in a similar spot when heavier and lost most of the weight before these meds existed. I wish I'd known more about body composition then. Now I see every phase as either a cut or a bulk. You're either adding weight and muscle or dropping fat while keeping muscle. You might not think that way yet, but once you're leaner you'll probably wish you'd done more to hold on to the muscle and connective tissue you have at your current weight. I used to hike at 250 pounds and had big calves as a result. I lost a lot of that by not squatting or deadlifting during the cut. If a trainer is what gets you under a bar, go for it, but do the lifting.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.