Forum › Food & Appetite

Fit athletes considering tirz for appetite control

13 replies8 peopleSep 15, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Can people already in good shape use tirz at low body fat without losing muscle or becoming dependent

Users who were already lean from sports report that low-dose tirz stopped binge eating and produced their leanest physique yet while they kept protein high and lifted. Several say muscle loss is no worse than any calorie deficit and that the drug simply makes maintenance easier without constant willpower. Others note that very low body fat brings the usual side effects like feeling cold regardless of medication. Long-term use versus stopping remains debated, with some citing poor real-world maintenance rates after discontinuation.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether most users can stop the medication and keep results long-term or whether low success rates from trials apply broadly

Still open

Whether staying on tirz indefinitely at 8-10% body fat creates unique hormonal or other risks beyond normal leanness

Nothing here is advice.

13 replies · 8 people
SlowFenwick86archiveopening postSep 15

I've stayed active with boxing and running for a decade but my eating got out of hand the last six months and I put on about 5kg after repeated failed restarts. Food has always been an issue for me, with regular weekend binges like two blocks of chocolate in half an hour. The prescription worked well at the lowest dose on the first pen and left me leaner than ever, yet I'm worried about losing muscle even though I eat plenty of protein and lift. I'm also unsure about stopping later because I don't want the old habits back but don't want to stay on it forever.

GreyAlder96archiveSep 15

Not sure exactly what the question is. These meds have been great for someone like me who stays mostly fit but used to slide during winter. I would get back in shape only to fall off again and repeat the cycle. Now at 38 I'm in the best shape of my life because the medication lets me stay consistent and any slip is small and easy to fix the next day. New data keeps appearing on benefits like reduced inflammation and better insulin sensitivity, so staying on it doesn't worry me. Muscle loss seems no greater than what a calorie deficit alone would cause. Most problems come from people who slash calories to junk levels, skip training, and then blame the drug.

PatientKettle48archiveSep 15

My physical condition is nowhere near decent lately, yet this video seemed worth sharing anyway.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

Most people here seem to understand how it works, but plenty of others expect the drug to handle everything while they keep poor eating habits. On the point about not wanting to stay on it forever, the numbers for keeping weight off after stopping are not encouraging, though at least this is a good spot to ask questions.

SlowFenwick86archiveSep 15

The main question is whether others who were already in shape still use tirz or if it feels risky around 8-10% body fat. I have no trouble eating 2000-2500 calories while focusing on protein to hold muscle and I have never felt this much control over food choices. I can only go through doctors for now.

GreyAlder96archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @SlowFenwick86

The only real downside to using it for maintenance at that low body fat is the same downside you get without the medication. Many men see hormones drop along with sex drive, energy, and they feel cold all the time once they reach that level. If none of those issues appear, then maintaining with less effort is fine.

BlueAnchor59archiveSep 15

Yes, on tirz and fine with continuing. Already being in decent shape does not rule it out. It has worked well for appetite and food noise without needing to treat it as a last resort. Just keep protein and lifting going so progress is not only measured on the scale.

SlowFenwick86archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

I don't think those issues show up if I keep fueling properly, but I do feel cold all the time.

LevelPebble88archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

That view is common here, but other places show different outcomes with people maintaining for one to three years, some still using the medication and some not. The studies with low success rates put people in a different situation: they were switched without choosing, had no preparation or warning, and there was no gradual reduction. Someone who only gained 5kg recently might have a better shot at stopping.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @LevelPebble88

Not really a belief system, just the actual results from the test groups with numbers to back it up.

SlowCompass16archiveSep 15

I'm in the best shape since my teens. Three months ago I had already added muscle and lost more fat, now at 11% body fat after dropping almost 90 lbs. Starting to race in cycling and feel like I'm in my 30s again, with VO2 max near the top percentile.

SlowFenwick86archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @SlowCompass16

Wow, very well done. Do you plan to come off it or stay on long term?

LevelPebble88archiveSep 16
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

My second paragraph covers those points.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.