Forum › Results & Progress

Same weekly deficit, different results?

16 replies15 peopleSep 27, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Does spreading the same weekly calorie deficit differently across days change weight loss results?

Some users report faster scale drops when eating more on weekends and tighter on weekdays, possibly from refeed effects that limit metabolic slowdown. Others stress that weekly averages matter most because daily water and digestion swings mask real progress. Tracking accuracy is repeatedly called difficult, leading many to favor weekly weighing and occasional honest audits over daily obsession. A few note that very low intake can stall loss and that consistency day-to-day feels safer for most people.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

How often to weigh (daily for trend clarity vs weekly to avoid noise) and how quickly to change course on a stall (two weeks vs two months).

Still open

Whether the weekend-higher pattern truly speeds fat loss or is only water fluctuation.

Nothing here is advice.

16 replies · 15 people
WryLantern48archiveopening post4d

I’ve been testing different ways to spread my calories across the week. The total weekly deficit stays roughly the same, but the scale seems to move more when I eat a little extra on weekends and stay stricter on weekdays. It could just be water from the extra carbs and sodium, yet the pattern has shown up several times. Should I pay attention only to the weekly average or try to keep daily intake steadier?

AmberCinder18archive4d
↳ replying to @WryLantern48 (opening post)

I stopped trying to understand what my body does day to day. There’s no pattern I can count on. I’ll drop weight after a week when the numbers say I shouldn’t, then stay flat after a week of perfect adherence. It’s exhausting to keep searching for logic in something that doesn’t follow any.

NorthWillow72archive4d

I aimed for 1200 but usually landed around 1400, and the actual loss seemed closer to what 1500 would produce. Keeping precise records is tough, so I just aimed low and let any extra movement or small errors balance things out. That approach gave me an average of two pounds a week for 31 weeks until I reached my goal. Weekly averages felt like the right way to look at it, and I did log everything every day while losing.

WryLantern48archive4d

I’ve had the same experience. Some weeks everything looks steady on paper and the scale still moves however it wants. The weekly average probably gives a clearer picture.

The weekly average matters more because day-to-day changes from water and digestion can hide real progress.

LevelTimber64archive3d
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

My ability to judge portions by eye is poor. For the first year I weighed and tracked everything I ate or drank, including supplements and activity. It became tiring and turned into its own distraction. Besides a scale and a tracking app, the most useful changes were switching to smaller plates and using salad forks and teaspoons instead of regular flatware.

Weighing food and checking weight every day feels like too much effort for little payoff. My weight can rise a pound or two daily just from water. Salt, a full bladder, and other factors are hard to control. Weighing once a week works better for most people. I keep my intake honest by measuring everything on prep days, then divide the totals by seven to get an average for the week.

PlainAlder11archive3d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

Once-a-week weighing makes sense. A friend who weighs daily sees swings of several pounds and gets discouraged. I step on the scale every Friday morning and sometimes mid-week if I’ve changed something. I don’t track calories or prep meals, but we focus on protein, vegetables, and salads. On maintenance I’ve added a few more carbs like potatoes or bread occasionally.

Weighing weekly is already frequent enough; even that can be noisy and misleading. Just as GLP-1 doses are usually adjusted monthly because of the half-life, weight trends are clearer month to month. Don’t worry about a stall until it lasts about two months. Sometimes the body holds weight while it recomposes, and checking weekly makes people panic and increase dose too soon.

↳ replying to @SteadySignal69

I don’t agree. If you’re stalled for even a month you’re doing something wrong. After two weeks with no change I think it’s time to adjust food, training, or dose.

Avoid dropping calories too low. Once the body shifts into survival mode, weight loss slows sharply. Throw in an occasional refeed to ease diet fatigue, keeping it clean. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

GreyAlder96archive3d

I’ve seen the same thing. A couple of higher-calorie days, not binges, often produce more loss than the math predicts. Straight deficit weeks give the expected drop, but adding two maintenance days can yield an extra half to full pound. Years ago people talked about refeeds helping leptin and thyroid function. I don’t care about the mechanism, just that it works for me.

I also weigh weekly. Daily ups and downs aren’t useful to watch; I just want to see the overall trend.

↳ replying to @WryLantern48 (opening post)

I’ll guess at your question without reading everything first. The pattern you describe sounds like you’re adding refeed periods that keep your metabolism from slowing down as much as it otherwise would.

LevelTimber64archive3d

I weigh six days out of seven.

If what you’re doing works, keep doing it. I prefer steady intake every day rather than big swings. Most people won’t gain much from cycling calories unless they’re advanced. Big swings can also lead to making up for low days or over-correcting, which edges toward disordered eating. Daily weighing works best for me because more data points make the real trend clearer and reduce the chance of reacting to a single noisy week.

ClearCinder54archive22h

I don’t count calories. I’ve used intermittent fasting, at least 16/8 and sometimes longer, for years. Without medication I dropped from 167 kg to 152 kg at 199 cm, then stalled. After other health issues and antibiotics I returned to that weight. Starting Mounjaro while keeping the fasting window brought me to 131 kg. Even though calculators suggest I could eat more, the fasting and low-carb approach keeps intake naturally lower, and loss continues steadily.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.