Forum › Food & Appetite

Pausing retatrutide before a week of drinking at an annual event

14 replies13 peopleSep 14, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Should someone on retatrutide pause the medication before a multi-day social event to handle alcohol better?

Most users report stronger effects from smaller amounts of alcohol while on the drug, with mixed experiences on hangovers. Some stop for a week beforehand and resume afterward with few issues, while others keep dosing but drink less or choose lighter options. A week off does not clear the drug from the system, so effects persist anyway.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether deliberately pausing is worth the temporary interruption in weight-loss progress versus simply drinking less while staying on schedule.

Still open

How much a short break actually changes hangover severity or daily function during the event.

Nothing here is advice.

14 replies · 13 people
BlueMeadow40archiveopening postSep 14

Been on reta nearly three months at 8 mg weekly split into two 4 mg shots. Loss has been steady at about 1.4 kg per week with almost no side effects. There's a week-long social gathering coming up where drinking will happen every day. I tested a couple of beers on reta and they hit like four, so I'm thinking of skipping doses for a week or so beforehand to get some tolerance back. The worry is mainly the mornings after, since I still need to be active each day. Has anyone else taken a planned break for something like this, and did it help or not?

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @BlueMeadow40 (opening post)

If the only real change is getting buzzed quicker, you could keep losing weight and still spend less on drinks. A break that long will affect you for weeks on either side though. I've had rough mornings on injection day but still did the shot anyway. At the end of the day it's about deciding what matters more right now.

PatientLedger45archiveSep 14

I stop for at least a full week before big parties or holidays. Hangovers end up a little worse than usual but I can still eat, drink, and enjoy myself. I restart at the old dose a day or two later and have had no problems.

ClearLantern70archiveSep 14

I'd just cut the dose in half and go very easy on the drinks. Sip something slowly or ask for a weaker mix, or even order a plain coke in the same glass so it looks like you're drinking. You can still have a good time without overdoing it.

GreyFenwick31archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @BlueMeadow40 (opening post)

Two beers the other day felt like four even though my breathalyzer only read 0.03. I was surprised how much stronger it seemed. You can probably stay on reta and still have a few drinks, you'll just get tipsy sooner.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 14

Getting a stronger effect from less alcohol sounds like a plus, not a problem. You end up taking in fewer calories and less alcohol overall while still getting the buzz. Only an issue if you want to show off how much you can handle.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 14

Bring the new version of yourself to the party. The new you can still drink and eat and have fun, just in smaller amounts that feel just as good. I've found ways to overdo it on these meds too, but the new me is still enjoyable.

SlowMeadow40archiveSep 14

How often does reta actually change drinking or hangovers? I've had one large glass of wine with no trouble, but I'm wondering if bigger amounts would be different. Are the people asking these questions usually having multiple drinks, already sensitive, or on higher doses?

NorthAnchor44archiveSep 14

I actually get the opposite reaction. I can drink without feeling the alcohol much. The real issue shows up later at night and the next morning because of slower stomach emptying, so sleep is poor and I wake up feeling worse.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 14

A few well-made gin and tonics recently went down fine with no bad effects. The buzz felt stronger for the amount I drank and hangovers were milder, probably because I didn't need as much alcohol overall.

WarmCompass44archiveSep 14

You're there to enjoy the company, not win a drinking contest. As long as you aren't trying to outdrink everyone else you should be okay.

NorthWillow72archiveSep 14
↳ replying to @SlowMeadow40

Hangovers depend on lots of things. Big calorie cuts plus drinks that make up half my daily calories, little food around them, dehydration, and slower emptying all add up. I measured my pours carefully and limited the total, which helped. Even now in maintenance I still get surprised sometimes if I'm not paying attention.

LevelAlder29archiveSep 14

Stopping and restarting might slow progress a little when you resume, though probably not much after just a week. The lower tolerance is actually helpful because you get twice the effect for the same amount. If you want to try many different drinks, go for tasting portions instead of full servings.

PlainAlder11archiveSep 15
↳ replying to @BlueMeadow40 (opening post)

A week off won't clear it out. It takes four to six weeks to leave your system. At 8 mg after only three months you either started high or increased quickly.

RustBeacon90archiveSep 16

After a month or more at 8 mg you're at steady state around 16 mg total in the body. Even two weeks off still leaves you near a 4 mg level, so the effects don't really go away. I often skip the dose right before an event and restart the day after, shifting my injection day. Light beer, tall drinks, or small pours of wine help because it can catch people off guard. Delaying the shot works for quite a few people who want to drink more normally.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.