Forum › Food & Appetite

How bad are sweeteners like stevia and acesulfame-K?

14 replies12 peopleOct 1, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Do sweeteners such as stevia or acesulfame-K in drinks raise insulin, increase cravings, or hinder fat loss enough to matter?

Participants report mixed personal results with diet drinks and non-nutritive sweeteners during weight management or fasting. Some avoid them entirely due to possible insulin spikes or cravings while others reintroduce them on maintenance without apparent issues. Studies are described as contradictory, with several noting no consistent hormone effects but others linking certain sugar alcohols to clotting risks. Overall the thread finds no clear consensus that moderate use derails progress for most people.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether these sweeteners trigger a meaningful insulin release or simply satisfy cravings without harm

Still open

Long-term effects on gut microbiome or clotting risk from common sugar alcohols like erythritol

Nothing here is advice.

14 replies · 12 people
BrightBramble77archiveopening post2d

Hello everyone. With GLP-1 medications the basic idea is that calories in must stay below calories out. Yet plenty of people claim this is incomplete because elevated insulin supposedly blocks fat burning, along with topics like ketosis and fasting windows. I want to skip that debate. What I am asking is whether sweetened drinks such as tea with stevia or zero-sugar sodas containing acesulfame-K are problematic. Do they change appetite, cravings, or insulin levels enough to notice?

NorthWillow72archive2d
↳ replying to @BrightBramble77 (opening post)

I tried intermittent fasting with no sweeteners at all, though I still used shakes and bars during eating windows. I also dropped diet sodas and other sweetened drinks outside those hours. I would like to see the research too, but the approach helped me. Now that I am maintaining weight I drink diet sodas again and have not noticed any problems keeping the weight off.

AmberCinder18archive2d

I mean this with no offense at all, but reading that made me think we are all using research compounds on a regular schedule and yet the worry here is about stevia.

NorthWillow72archive2d
↳ replying to @AmberCinder18

A couple of worries come up. The body may register the taste as sugar and release insulin anyway, which would break a fast. Sweet tastes can also trigger further desire for sweets even when using stevia. Are there other issues?

↳ replying to @AmberCinder18

Stevia itself is not the concern. The issue is whether it can still raise insulin and create downstream problems, especially alongside certain other compounds. Aspartame is the one I refuse to use at all.

↳ replying to @BrightBramble77

Stevia is fine. It does not produce an insulin response.

NorthWillow72archive2d
↳ replying to @SharpHarbour71

I assumed they all triggered some response, so I quit both the sweetener packets and the diet cola. After checking I see there is one exception to note.

You would need to consume an entire case of diet soda daily over a long stretch before it would cause trouble. Research on insulin responses to sweeteners shows inconsistent findings, so there is not enough agreement to claim a clear effect. Many researchers still use certain peptides despite their trials failing to beat placebo. A systematic review on aspartame and related hormones is available if anyone wants the details.

RustMarble79archive2d

Certain physicians are viewed as reliable sources on this topic and their summary is that both non-nutritive and artificial sweeteners do not raise insulin or blood glucose in people. They also note that for many users these products help manage sweet cravings and support sticking to a calorie deficit. Building routines that make a sustained deficit easier is generally helpful.

NorthPebble63archive2d
↳ replying to @BrightBramble77 (opening post)

My partner follows a strict carnivore diet and tracks blood glucose closely because of a hereditary iron overload condition that keeps levels somewhat high. The only sweetener used is monk fruit extract since it appears not to affect blood sugar and only small amounts are needed.

IronLantern24archive2d

During keto phases none of the low-calorie sweeteners raised blood sugar or caused issues. Allulose is even said to improve fat storage and insulin sensitivity, though large amounts at once can lead to digestive upset that the keto crowd calls disaster pants.

The literature here is complicated and often conflicting, with thousands of studies over the years showing both safety and harm. Interpreting them reliably probably requires specialized training. A basic takeaway is that the actual sweeteners themselves are likely harmless in normal use, while the sugar alcohols mixed in, such as erythritol, can cause gut problems for sensitive people and have been linked in recent work to higher stroke and clotting risks.

KeenKettle50archive1d
↳ replying to @AmberCinder18

Most reviews and meta-analyses show no consistent changes in hormones or metabolic markers from artificial sweeteners. Erythritol stands out with some heart-attack correlations, though causation remains unclear. Tagatose and allulose are the only options viewed as completely safe because they are not artificial.

RustSparrow51archive1d

While doing keto and intermittent fasting I limit sweeteners to monk fruit, stevia, erythritol without aftertaste, and allulose because they have a zero glycemic index and therefore should not raise insulin. Xylitol has a moderate glycemic index but is acceptable if non-GMO. I avoid everything else and follow guidelines that emphasize cellular healing and natural approaches.

Just have a zero-sugar cola and keep up the training. It will be fine.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.