Forum › Plateaus & Non-Response

Another long stall

43 replies19 peopleSep 4, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

how to break a long weight loss stall on tirzepatide after 78 pounds lost

Participants report that stalls are common after extended deficits and suggest recalculating TDEE more accurately, adjusting calories slightly upward for consistency, splitting injection days, or adding retatrutide while keeping or lowering tirzepatide. Several describe personal resets via short maintenance periods or dose changes that restarted loss at roughly one pound per week. Others emphasize tracking macros beyond just protein and calories, monitoring activity on non-gym days, and ruling out thyroid issues.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

whether to raise daily calories toward 1500-1600 or tighten further toward 1200; whether adding retatrutide helps more than simply increasing tirzepatide

Still open

optimal long-term maintenance dose combination once goal weight is reached

Nothing here is advice.

43 replies · 19 people
CopperSignal15archiveopening postSep 4

Hello everyone. After dropping 78 pounds over two years I have hit another long stall. Nothing has come off since mid-July and even before that the average was only about a pound a month. Last fall I had a four-month stall and I really do not want to repeat that. I have been on 12-15 mg of tirz for the past year. I added 1.5 mg of cagri in June with no difference. Three weeks ago I started reta while lowering tirz and I am now at 10 mg tirz, 2.5 mg reta, and 1.5 mg cagri. My idea was to move off tirz onto reta since tirz seems to have taken me as far as it can. Maybe I should keep both? I am really frustrated because I still have 30-35 pounds to go and nothing is moving no matter what I try. I lift heavy three or four days a week, track calories between 1300-1500 a day, and get 100-150 g of protein. I do not know what else to change and would like to hear from other slow losers who eventually reached their goal.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 4

Stalls happen to a lot of us. As weight comes off, basal metabolic rate falls so calorie intake has to be lowered to match. Tirzepatide has already done a lot of the work so there is no need to stop it. Adding retatrutide at 4 mg or higher can add glucagon effects that complement the current stack nicely. I am currently on 10 mg tirz, 5 mg reta, and 1 mg elora and plan to raise elora to 3 mg. Those last 35 pounds do tend to be stubborn. With the activity level you described the only conclusion that makes sense is that the calorie numbers are not accurate.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @AmberCinder46

I thought the calorie count might be off so I tightened everything up and now weigh every item in MFP. My meals are very repetitive and basically the same every day. I cannot see where the error is but I agree it must be there. At 47 and after a lifetime of dieting I know stalls happen. I just do not want another four months stuck. Hopefully raising the reta dose will move things again.

PlainThistle11archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15 (opening post)

After two years in a calorie deficit the body may be signaling that it needs something different. Metabolism can slow dramatically. With three or four lifting days your body might actually need a few more calories. That goes against what most people say but it can be physiologically necessary. Try staying closer to the 1500-1600 range consistently and see what happens. You would still be in a deficit. I am guessing at age, sex, weight and height of course. Also look at the full macro split instead of only calories and protein. After such a long deficit it helps to pay attention to overall nutrition balance.

RustHarbour17archiveSep 4

It may be time to start tracking overall body composition instead of just the scale number.

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 4

For what it is worth I am a 46-year-old perimenopausal woman, 5'6, currently 171 pounds. My TDEE is around 1600. Eating 1500 calories puts me very close to maintenance or extremely slow loss. My target for actual weight loss is about 1200 and I usually stay at or below that, occasionally hitting 1300 once a week. Loss has been fairly steady but I stayed at 176 for eleven days then dropped three or four pounds in three days. Recalculate your TDEE and stay very aware of every calorie without adding back exercise calories.

SlowAlder89archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15 (opening post)

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. After more than twenty months in a deficit my body simply stopped responding. This was before any GLPs. I was lifting four or five times a week, measuring everything, and tracking closely. I had lost 50 pounds and could not continue. My body was telling me it needed a break. I did a short reverse diet back up to maintenance for a couple of months. After that I went back into a deficit and the weight started coming off again at the earlier rate.

IronKettle95archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

I read these stall threads and keep wondering where ladyj779 is. Any thread that mentions TDEE, consistent deficit, stalls, logging, or weighing needs her practical take. A lot of people here and on YouTube seem to think the drugs should do all the work. When progress stops they just raise doses or add another medication. The idea is to keep stacking until goal weight arrives and that diet or exercise never matters because the medication handles everything. This is still medication and you have to let it work.

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @IronKettle95

When people hear all their lives that the average person needs 2000 calories it feels unfair that they might need less to stay healthy or avoid excess weight. A lot of that old nutrition advice was shaped by economic interests in agriculture and other industries and was based on populations that did far more physical labor than most do now. Food today is also very different in composition and availability. On top of all that, muscle declines and metabolism slows with age so calorie needs drop whether someone is 45 or 70. I have been thinking about how much heavier populations have become over the last few decades.

ClearLedger54archiveSep 4

I could have written this post myself. I started tirz last November and lost 60 pounds at a steady pace. Then I got stuck at 187 for the last month with no movement at all. I am eating around 1300 calories and hunger has not changed, only the scale has stopped. The emotions around a stall are really difficult. After feeling so much hope from the earlier results the idea that it might all reverse feels overwhelming. I am going to try adding some reta. I also suspect I should increase fiber. I am really hoping to finish the last 40 pounds, even 25 more would feel like a big win.

SlowAlder89archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @ClearLedger54

My wife was in the same spot. She had been on tirz since October, reached max dose, and stalled. We added reta three months ago in early June, kept tirz at 15 mg, and titrated reta up to 4 mg split twice a week. She has been losing steadily again. After her tirz shot her appetite is basically gone for two days. We are planning to lower the tirz dose starting this week.

ClearLedger54archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @SlowAlder89

Thanks for the details. That is the direction I am hoping to go. Did she have many side effects?

SlowAlder89archiveSep 4
↳ replying to @ClearLedger54

None from the reta. All her side effects have come from the tirz. We are still at a fairly low reta dose. Split dosing seems to reduce sides. She did not start losing until reta reached 3 mg. The schedule was 1 mg for one week, 2 mg for three weeks, 3 mg for six weeks, and now 4 mg for the fifth week. We plan to stay at 4 mg for a while as long as loss stays around a pound a week.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

Good point. I am also 47 and perimenopausal. I just recalculated and my TDEE is 1876. A cut should be around 1300 so I will aim closer to that. I never add exercise calories back in anyway.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @IronKettle95

I do not think the drug is supposed to do everything. I am definitely doing my part.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @KeenKettle50

Yes, I have been on levothyroxine for about four years.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @SlowAlder89

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been taking tirz and reta on the same day but I think I will split them. I might also drop the cagri since it does not seem to help me.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15 (opening post)

It would help to know starting and target weights, age, and height for better perspective, plus how long the GLP use or weight loss has been going on and whether diabetes is present. Even though calorie counts are often inaccurate, energy needs can vary a lot between people and especially after large losses. Mine fell by half after going from 145 kg to 75 kg and has stayed around 1600-1800 for three and a half years. Long-term deliberate calorie restriction tends to be hard to sustain. Restricting food types rather than quantities is often easier to keep up. Very high protein at 40-50 percent of calories worked for me and even improved kidney numbers. Switching GLPs probably will not change much since you already respond to them, but without knowing your starting weight it is hard to judge how strong the response has been.

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15

Yes, definitely split them. I do reta on Sundays and tirz on Thursdays. That should help keep calorie reduction more consistent.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 5
↳ replying to @CopperSignal27

I am 47, 5'8, no diabetes. I started in June 2024 at 272 pounds on sema, switched to tirz after ten months and 50 pounds lost once sema was maxed. I am definitely a slow responder with no side effects. I have gone between 15 mg and 12.5 mg of tirz for the last year and a half with similar slow results. Goal is a healthy BMI at 160, so 34 more pounds. I am much happier at the current size but disappointed that all the effort has not gotten me to goal. I had planned to stop tirz entirely but many people here succeed with both so I will try that. Cagri just makes me tired for two days and gives bad injection-site reactions. I still have part of a kit left so that option remains open. Thanks for the input.

CopperSignal27archiveSep 6

Seventy-eight pounds from 272 is nearly 29 percent, which is solid even if the pace was not fast. Lack of side effects suggests trying higher tirz plus reta is worth considering. There is no strong safety data but the high-dose sema study did not turn up unexpected problems even at much higher levels, though GI effects and skin sensitivity were common and extra weight loss was modest. Sema is the weakest of the recent options so reta may have more room to increase before returns diminish. If cagri is not helping it makes sense to try this before adding elora. Results from the high-dose tirz study are still pending. I only raised doses when hunger returned after weight had already come off rather than to force more loss.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 6
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

A lot of good points here. The first time I went to Europe years ago I was struck by how much slimmer everyone looked. Stepping off the plane back home the difference in average size was obvious. I do not travel as much now but the trend toward larger sizes seems to have spread. Opportunities and cues to overeat are everywhere. One benefit of the GLPs is they reduce both internal urges and the pull from constant advertising and abundant food. For someone who has always eaten without brakes these medications make it easier to stop at a normal amount.

SlowAnchor19archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @AmberCinder46

What does your injection schedule look like? Do you pin the elora and reta on the same day?

BrightKettle28archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15 (opening post)

I know it sounds backwards but eating more for a week or so restarted my stall. The body can adapt to lower calories and hold on to the remaining fat. I was at 1500 and bumped it to around 2500. Now I eat between that and 3200 when I feel like it while still lifting. That is where I am at. But what do I know.

NorthCinder83archiveSep 10

I lost 110 pounds over two-plus years and hit many stalls. For me the tirz-cagri-reta combination was less effective than tirz plus cagri or reta plus cagri. Going above 20 mg of tirz did not help. Adding cagri back for several months finally broke the stall even though it made me very nauseous around food. I used protein shakes and supplements and found 24-hour fasting easy. My BMI is now 25 and I plan to taper off reta slowly over the next six to twelve months. I never let a stall last more than four weeks. I lost 40 percent of my starting weight without exercising for two years. It is important not to get discouraged.

KeenThistle22archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15 (opening post)

Many factors matter. Is the medication appropriate? Is the diet clean with minimal processed foods to keep inflammation, glucose, and insulin low? Are there other health issues such as thyroid or hormones? Maybe drop everything except reta and consider adding aod, mots-c, or a growth-hormone peptide like cjc-ipa or tesa. Sleep quality and exercise volume also play roles. Some HIIT could help if it is not already part of the routine.

AmberCinder46archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @SlowAnchor19

Tirz Monday evening, elora Wednesday whenever, tirz again Friday morning, reta Sunday morning. The idea with the split tirz is to keep levels even across the week and stronger on the weekend. Reta takes time to feel so Sunday keeps it strong by Monday. Elora on Wednesday just fits between the two tirz days. Open to other ideas.

IronKettle44archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

Love-hate relationship with MyFitnessPal.

BrightSparrow36archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @IronKettle44

I have a straight love relationship with the loseit app. Walking plus that app helped me drop 110 pounds in a year and a half before I could afford GLPs. I still like both but these medications feel like an extra boost.

IronKettle44archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @BrightSparrow36

Agreed. I lost 40 pounds with CICO and going sober but the GLPs make it feel easier. You still do the work though. I sent a DM about CICO if you want to discuss it. Not trolling. Have a good one.

SteadySparrow75archiveSep 10
↳ replying to @AmberCinder46

I do something similar for the same reason. I just started reta seven weeks ago. I was splitting tirz Monday and Friday mornings and swapped the Friday one for reta. The Friday pin is meant to carry through the weekend. Both reta and tirz peak on day two or three so Thursday night pins can hit hardest on Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning then carries through the next week.

CopperMarble87archiveSep 10

activate 5 mg daily ss-31 then up dose again

CopperSignal15archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

My diet is fairly clean. I do not drink, cook most meals, and rarely eat processed foods. One issue is activity on non-gym days. I go three days a week but the other four days are only so-so. I am working on that but it is not easy. Sleep is tough at 47, perimenopausal, with a five- and six-year-old. What is sleep?

CopperSignal15archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @BrightKettle28

I hear that advice but my body does not respond that way. One day of overeating and I gain five pounds. No one would ever call me skinny. I am seeing strength gains in the gym and enjoy that. Looking forward to seeing more muscle once the rest comes off.

KeenThistle22archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15

I get it. I have three kids ages two, four, and six and another on the way. Sleep is rough. On non-gym days maybe a treadmill, stepper, or stationary bike could work?

AmberBeacon57archiveSep 11

When I hit a stall I make sure I am in nutritional ketosis even if that means tightening the diet. I check with a keto-mojo meter. If that does not move things I fast for a few days. It usually works.

GreenAlder66archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @AmberBeacon57

Trying a three-day fast now. I have not done one in years even though I do a lot of OMAD and stay in nutritional ketosis. Water weight is unpredictable. I had a snack around 9 pm Wednesday after a workout, woke up at 277 Thursday, had only black coffee, water, and zero-calorie electrolytes yesterday, and woke at 278.2 today. I know daily weighing shows fluctuations but I was hoping for a small confidence boost. It backfired.

AmberBeacon57archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @GreenAlder66

Water retention can happen for odd reasons. Make sure you are getting enough water and electrolytes. Being dehydrated can actually make the body hold more water. Dandelion tea can act as a mild diuretic. Eating after 7 pm also tends to show up as a higher morning weight for me. Daily weighing can still be useful if you focus on the overall trend and ignore day-to-day changes. Good luck.

GreenAlder66archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @AmberBeacon57

On another note, do you track how different peptides affect blood ketone levels and fasting glucose? I posted about it elsewhere. MOTS-C seems to raise ketone levels well above baseline. I am also testing oral 5-amino-1mq and will see what that does.

AmberBeacon57archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @GreenAlder66

The only peptide I am using right now is reta. I check fasting blood glucose and ketones daily. I have noticed deeper nutritional ketosis after starting reta even without changing the diet.

CopperSignal15archiveSep 11
↳ replying to @KeenThistle22

I have a treadmill but getting the kids to play nicely while I use it feels like more effort than it is worth. Still, I should try harder.

BrightKettle28archiveSep 12
↳ replying to @CopperSignal15

I get what you're telling me. Does that mean you've never boosted intake over seven days just from a single day's impact? It restarts how the body uses energy. Sure, packing on thirty-five pounds during those days would make me agree, yet without getting away from the weighing machine and trying a full seven days at steady intake levels, it's impossible to tell. I absolutely despise eggs! Still, along with sardines, they provided my main protein during the initial seventy-two hours.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.