Forum › Food & Appetite

Any lazy protein hacks?

47 replies33 peopleOct 9, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

What are some easy low-effort ways to hit protein goals without cooking much?

Forum users share personal shortcuts like grabbing protein bars, mixing yogurt with powder or pudding mix, drinking shakes with milk, batch-cooking chicken or eggs, and using cottage cheese or tinned fish. Many combine a few of these for quick 50g+ intakes later in the day. Some prefer whole foods while others lean on powders and fortified items for convenience.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Some avoid processed items and favor home-cooked chicken or eggs, while others embrace bars, powders, and mixes for speed.

Nothing here is advice.

47 replies · 33 people
AmberBeacon41archiveopening post2d

Mine is protein bars. Easy to grab when I don’t feel like making anything.

BlueAnchor59archive2d

I have no problem grabbing bars but I stay mindful of polyols when my stomach already feels off from the medication. I also lean on Greek yoghurt or skyr, cottage cheese, canned tuna, a roasted chicken from the store that I break down and use over several days, plus those ready protein drinks. Prepping a batch of hard-boiled eggs early in the week makes things simple on days when I cannot be bothered cooking.

Those bars seem straightforward enough. My go-to is a chocolate protein drink from the big warehouse spot. Plenty of simple options exist for grabbing protein without effort. Dried meat strips, even with their saltiness, small-curd dairy, plain yogurt blended with a flavored powder tastes fantastic, or a special dairy drink mixed with extra powder all work fine for me. They let me hit fifty grams toward evening in a form that settles easily.

WryPebble43archive2d

In Australia I've come across these fifty gram protein bars holding roughly three hundred ninety calories so I eat them if I oversleep before heading to the office lol

Protein powder. Whey isolate is what I use.

RustMarble79archive2d

Around here plenty of grocery shops stock yogurt packs with extra protein. They make a budget friendly grab when I'm out and not up for tackling a whole pot.

RustTimber42archive2d

I mix a container of Greek-style yogurt together with sugarless cheesecake pudding powder. It packs plenty of protein, the flavor works out fine, and the whole batch comes to roughly 600 calories along with 85 grams of protein.

WarmLantern16archive2d

The clear choice for me has been that powdered supplement. These days I'm substituting it entirely for my morning meal, blending it together using low-fat dairy instead of plain liquid along with some icy berries and leafy greens that were chilled beforehand. My target is around that fifty to sixty gram protein mark for this single serving.

RustSignal28archive2d

I flattened some chicken breasts first then added seasoning before cooking them in the air fryer at four hundred degrees for eighteen minutes total while turning once midway through. It came out incredibly simple and my favorite approach for making them.

SharpMarble40archive2d

I prepare a pair of concentrated protein drinks using chocolate-flavored powder, added creatine, and dairy. These go into two bottles along with ice cubes, which I store inside a compact insulated bag for carrying to my workout or job. I mix yogurt from Greece together with more protein powder and some tiny seeds. Bars made from protein, dried meat strips, and cheese sticks serve as convenient bites between meals. Additionally, I cook up big portions of poultry on the grill or in the oven, then assemble elaborate salads featuring that chicken.

↳ replying to @WarmLantern16

The suggestion of blending protein powder into milk really appeals to me now. It feels obvious in hindsight but I never thought of it earlier. Milk has been off my menu since I was a child.

I cooked four hundred grams of chicken using the grill and it only needed five minutes to deliver a straightforward hundred grams of protein.

SharpTimber80archive2d

I usually pick the powdered kind along with milk that's been filtered extra times for more protein content.

GreenPebble13archive2d

I generally steer clear of packaged meals. Still, I prepare plenty of poultry and red meat, which probably contain additives. Boiled eggs and fresh produce are also part of my routine. When I anticipate getting hungry on the job, I bring along a container of food. Since we raise hens, eggs are abundant around here. Protein supplements don't bother me, though a lot of them come from inferior ingredients.

WarmLantern16archive2d
↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

The blend works out better in the end. Low-fat milk keeps the calorie count down while adding carbohydrates alongside the protein. I mentioned the flavor comes out way better too, right?

AmberCinder18archive2d

Protein shakes work as my usual choice for an easy protein source, with canned tuna as the backup. I keep several varieties of protein bars around but still haven't come across any that really appeal to me. After sampling plenty of options the ones that remind me of a chewy fig bar come out on top.

NorthWillow72archive2d
↳ replying to @AmberCinder18

After trying different options for a couple years I've narrowed it down to three I like best. Those really chewy types just don't appeal to me. One has a smoother texture another is partly cookie and lately I've grabbed more of the high fiber kind since it covers a big chunk of the daily total.

WarmAlder80archive2d

Each morning I blend this shake powder into my coffee. It has a nice flavor and combines smoothly. A single serving gives me twenty five grams of protein from whey along with added nutrients for two hundred calories and just one gram of sugar. Stevia provides the sweet taste.

Mixing plain yogurt together with protein powder has become one of my favorites. Someone mentioned it in a post and although it didn't appeal at first I gave it a shot and now enjoy it a lot. My go-to foods include cottage cheese sardines chicken breasts and eggs or just the whites. I can drink pasteurized egg whites straight from the carton if I'm up for it. Blending them with protein powder also works well and improves the flavor. The simplest approach for me to hit my protein target is to avoid other foods until that's taken care of.

GreyHarbour55archive2d

That movie scene with the eggs comes to mind when I eat my boiled eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes, chicken and pork.

RustBramble70archive2d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

I had no clue it was okay until I checked for myself. Indeed the process destroys the harmful bacteria. So perhaps it mixes well with milk and shakes. Interesting find. Much appreciated.

↳ replying to @RustBramble70

I didn't expect these containers to offer so many applications beyond the obvious. Egg protein stands out as one of the top choices among sources like that. Drinking one straight gets me some hilarious reactions from others. Blending them with powder lets me whip up various desserts such as custards or frozen treats. An inventive approach turns these items into something really versatile.

SlowCinder96archive2d

Those protein snacks appealed to me for a short while. These days I can't bear them at all.

NorthWillow72archive1d
↳ replying to @SlowCinder96

I tried them once. I think I prefer cardboard with salt.

BlueWillow45archive1d
↳ replying to @RustTimber42

Must be you're out in California since we've claimed rights to that slang term.

BlueAlder13archive1d

I mixed the cocoa gelatin without any sugar into some nonfat yogurt made Greek style.

WrySparrow40archive1d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

I've started mixing egg whites into my protein drinks to raise the protein level and I also stir in powdered peanut butter which adds six more grams for each portion over two portions while choosing filtered milk that gives fourteen grams of protein per serving instead of eight from ordinary milk.

↳ replying to @WrySparrow40

Damn. What does all the protein add up to? It sounds good tasting also.

WrySparrow40archive1d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

Each one weighs seventy two grams. Without taking two daily I struggle to reach my target level. The flavor is quite nice too.

↳ replying to @WrySparrow40

That's cool. It covers an entire day's meals. I could give it a shot.

Not sure how many people are aware of this trick. I tend to gross folks out when I just chug it down. Too bad though, since it's one of the top protein sources around.

SlowSignal74archive1d

On really lazy days the ready-to-drink bottles handle everything for me. A step up from that is just mixing plain whey powder into some milk.

KeenKettle50archive1d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

I suppose my hopes have now fallen to a fresh low point.

RustBramble70archive1d

Sure thing. Following your suggestion, I came across several additional protein options that use egg whites. Previously I purchased the liquid versions specifically to prepare omelets, but I'd often leave some unused. It looks like these could become a regular item I store in the cold compartment. However, something I learned is the body takes in the protein more effectively once the whites have been heated instead of eaten uncooked. Still, this serves as a solid way to boost the protein level in a blended drink combined with milk that contains lots of protein.

RustSignal28archive1d

Those frozen shrimp appetizers from the cooler aisle are something I grab often. They deliver plenty of protein while keeping calories low.

↳ replying to @RustBramble70

I agree with you one hundred percent. Treating it with heat is like cooking. It appears to me that the material is positioned between both sides.

WarmCompass17archive1d

I should mention that eating raw egg whites often means adding a biotin supplement at a separate time. This stands out more when leaving out the yolks. People don't usually run low on biotin, though today's way of living can still cause it. I've come across details that raw egg white protein is only about half usable because the structures wind too tightly for enzymes to access. Uncooked meat breaks down much easier in the gut, though that's not something I'd go for.

When extra fat is the goal I find eggs boiled until soft then soaked in marinade unbeatable. Otherwise I simply gulp down some whey.

I buy several kinds of minced meat including poultry and red varieties. Occasionally I'll mix in some chopped vegetables like alliums or fungi along with colorful peppers to improve the overall flavor and mouthfeel. These mixtures get prepared in advance and kept inside clear jars. Upon warming them up later I sometimes crack in an additional egg for extra nutrition and taste.

WryHarbour43archive1d

Curious if others have experimented with transparent protein powders. The clear shakes appeal to me a lot but I want to find more varieties to switch things up.

I gave this a go but ended up with lumps everywhere. What amount of powder works with what amount of yogurt? Thanks.

↳ replying to @PatientPebble79

I combine roughly six ounces of yogurt with one scoop of protein powder. The mix turns somewhat lumpy at first, yet further stirring lets it incorporate fairly well.

I do the same thing. To keep things even simpler I just sprinkle on some packaged lemon pepper without adding oil and cook straight on the tray so the basket stays clean. I prepare two pieces together and put the rest in the fridge. Dividing one piece into two portions makes four servings of around 130 grams each with 38 grams of protein in every one. For my taste 190 degrees for twenty minutes with a turn at the midpoint gives the softest texture plus a touch of crunch.

WarmLantern16archive1d
↳ replying to @ClearLantern70

It always amazes me that a tiny quantity fills one serving. After mixing it thoroughly the texture turns out like fluffy cream. Maybe the kind of protein makes that happen.

PatientWillow17archive21h

I fry up a pound of low-fat minced beef and drain off the fat. Then I mix that with a cup of assorted frozen vegetables plus a cup of pasta sauce right in one dish and warm everything in the microwave long enough for the vegetables to heat through. Now and then I drop a raw egg into my protein drink despite the bacterial risk. Folks eat uncooked dough all the time so I just go ahead. That habit suited those old-school fighters so it suits me too.

WrySparrow40archive21h

I prepare some salmon cakes ahead of time so they're available when I want to eat them with my main courses or I can take one from the icebox and warm it up for a quick bite in the middle of the day.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.