Forum › Results & Progress

Does Reta Reduce Visceral Fat at All?

24 replies18 peopleSep 29, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Does retatrutide alone reduce visceral fat?

Retatrutide reduces visceral fat mainly through overall weight loss, with a possible extra benefit from its glucagon activity that also lowers liver fat. Tesamorelin targets visceral fat more selectively but produces smaller total changes unless paired with major weight reduction. Most participants report measurable drops on scales or scans once weight comes down, and visceral fat tends to decrease early. Adding exercise improves results further, while low doses may not fully activate the glucagon pathway.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether low reta doses activate meaningful glucagon effects or if exercise is required to see optimal visceral changes

Still open

Long-term safety of combining agents, exact dose thresholds for glucagon activity, and accuracy of non-imaging measurement tools

Nothing here is advice.

24 replies · 18 people
BlueHarbour15archiveopening post2d

Tesa is known for visceral fat loss, but I'm new to this and cautious about combining compounds since I rarely take any medication. The core question is whether modest visceral fat reduction happens with reta by itself.

Weight loss of any kind trims visceral fat along with subcutaneous and lean mass. Reta should therefore cut visceral fat as weight drops. Its glucagon action may add a small extra effect compared with other GLP drugs, especially on liver fat, which often tracks with visceral stores. The biggest driver remains total weight reduction. Tesa does not produce weight loss but can shift fat away from visceral toward subcutaneous areas in the groups studied. Overall reta should deliver larger visceral fat changes than tesa if substantial weight comes off.

The glucagon part of reta was one reason I began splitting doses with tirz for visceral fat goals. Some tesa also arrived recently for the same purpose. I'll hold off on using it until I learn more and fix a back issue. Once that's resolved I'll add resistance training to my hiking and cardio, then bring tesa in.

WarmCompass27archive1d

If body fat percentage is still fairly high there is little need to focus on the exact type of fat being lost. Dropping five percent body fat will visibly change appearance and improve most biomarkers.

Sequential DEXA scans showed my visceral fat was strongly reduced by reta. I am now unsure whether I will even try the tesa I already have.

GreyAlder96archive1d

Both reta and tesa can reduce visceral fat, yet for most people it is the first fat to disappear anyway. If overweight, simply losing weight is enough and extra worry is unnecessary because visceral fat has more blood flow and receptors. Concern rises only when someone is already lean yet still carries high visceral levels.

↳ replying to @BlueHarbour15 (opening post)

All GLP-1 drugs reduce visceral fat more effectively than tesamorelin.

↳ replying to @SteadySparrow75

Those tesa vials should last quite a while. Many start at 2 mg daily from early trial data, but that volume creates a noticeable bump. Newer approved versions use a lower volume dose with similar properties. My own 1 mg dose produced a z-score of 2.7 after five weeks without common side effects, though BPH symptoms seemed to worsen after two months. Monitoring IGF-1 makes sense since over a third of trial subjects exceeded z-score 3.0 at 26 weeks. I lowered my dose to 0.5 mg daily because of that.

PlainAlder11archive1d

On my maintenance dose reta is gradually reducing stubborn subcutaneous belly fat. I have also added sit-ups and light weights.

NorthWillow72archive1d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Later in treatment, once therapeutic doses are reached, reta appears to work best on visceral fat. After a year on maintenance I have noticed further improvements in shape over the last six months. NIH data shows GLP-1 receptor agonists significantly reduce visceral and liver fat content.

BlueTimber78archive1d

Without DEXA or imaging you cannot actually see visceral fat. The current confusion around it likely stems from social media and limited education.

NorthWillow72archive1d
↳ replying to @BlueTimber78

The practical goal for most is simply reducing belly size from an aesthetic view. Large amounts of visceral fat push the abdominal wall outward, creating a firmer, rounder midsection even when limbs stay lean. Men tend to accumulate more abdominal visceral fat than pre-menopausal women.

PlainAlder11archive1d
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

That may explain why I continue to see some loss even at a lower maintenance dose. The mirror and scale both confirm gradual shrinking.

↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

Health matters more than looks here. Visceral fat is the most harmful type and appears hereditary. Every male relative on my father's side developed a pronounced belly by age 50 regardless of drinking habits. GLP-1 drugs and tesamorelin now offer options I did not have before.

WarmAlder92archive1d

The glucagon fat-burning effect of reta does not activate strongly at very low doses. At those levels you mainly get tirzepatide-like results without the added unique action.

AmberMeadow80archive1d

Visceral fat is among the first stores lost during weight reduction.

↳ replying to @BlueHarbour15 (opening post)

Better body composition comes from adding modest aerobic exercise to the calorie deficit created by reta or any GLP drug rather than relying on a drug alone. A daily 30-minute brisk walk outperforms tesamorelin or similar compounds without movement.

GreyThistle69archive1d

My scale shows progress from 15 down to 8 since May, confirming a downward trend even if it is less precise than DEXA.

BlueThistle49archive1d
↳ replying to @WarmAlder92

Some sources indicate glucagon receptor activation has sweet spots rather than requiring high doses. With hypothyroidism I ran cold for decades. Sema never changed my temperature or blood pressure. After starting low-dose reta my temperature rose to normal within days, I stopped feeling cold, and workouts felt warmer. I have stayed at low doses focused on recomposition and remain at 98 degrees consistently.

QuietAnchor73archive1d
↳ replying to @NorthWillow72

What maintenance dose are you using now and what dose did you come down from?

NorthWillow72archive1d
↳ replying to @QuietAnchor73

Maintenance has been 15 mg since August 2025. Before that I titrated as needed until reaching goal at week 31.

AmberMeadow80archive1d
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

Visceral fat is burned before subcutaneous fat. The linked article supports that point. The overall approach of using exercise is correct, but the mechanism and timing differ from what was stated.

RustQuill56archive23h

My scale showed visceral fat dropping from 23 to 10. I am female, have not used any GH peptides, only other compounds, and combine walking, weight lifting, and reta since April 2025.

CopperSignal27archive20h

A tape measure offers a cheaper though less exact way to track changes. It captures both subcutaneous and visceral contributions yet waist circumference remains a useful health marker. Adding a small dose of HGH to reta or tirz produced an 8 cm waist drop with only 4 kg lost, versus 3 cm with 5 kg lost earlier, suggesting a higher proportion of intra-abdominal fat reduction.

SteadyCinder74archive14h
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

Zone-2 cardio will reduce fat and weight if calories stay constant. Before GLP-1 drugs, ramping up to two hours of zone-2 five days a week never moved the scale because appetite rose to match. Adding reta produced quick drops in fat and weight while making exercise easier and improving labs. A mix of resistance work plus some intervals may be more efficient than steady cardio alone.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.