Forum › Dosing & Titration

Taking retatrutide to quit alcohol and other drugs

22 replies17 peopleOct 5, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

Does retatrutide reduce alcohol and drug cravings and will people need a maintenance dose to keep that benefit after reaching their weight goal?

Users report that retatrutide often lowers the desire to drink while on higher doses, with the urge returning for some when tapering for maintenance. Experiences vary: several describe near-total loss of interest in alcohol that returns at lower doses, while others never noticed any change in their drinking habits. A few plan to stay on a low dose indefinitely for the anti-craving effect, and one suggests naltrexone as a possible substitute. The thread leaves open whether the benefit requires ongoing treatment or can be replaced by other approaches.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether retatrutide reduces the urge to drink at all, with some reporting strong suppression and others noticing none

Still open

Whether those who benefit from reduced cravings will need to stay on retatrutide indefinitely or can eventually stop

Nothing here is advice.

22 replies · 17 people
CopperAlder25archiveopening post1d

After ten months on this medication I have transformed my body and reached twelve percent body fat without needing to lose any more. As I taper from a peak of four milligrams weekly down to one milligram the desire to drink has started coming back, something that was completely absent for the whole ten months. When I do drink now it also brings urges for other substances I had problems with years ago, so I am wondering whether staying on a low dose would keep those cravings under control. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Once I reached my goal and dropped to two milligrams a week the urge to drink returned, though not in any extreme way, just more than the total indifference I felt at the higher dose. Naltrexone might be worth looking into instead since it reduces the dopamine reward from drinking and can lower the pull to keep going.

RustAlder52archive1d

This is my biggest worry. I know I can keep up a healthy lifestyle once the weight is gone, but I am scared of losing the anxiety-reducing effect that comes with this medication.

I never noticed any drop in the desire to drink while using it. I do not have a problem with alcohol but I do like having a glass of wine now and then, so for me it was actually good that it did not take that away.

PlainLedger10archive1d

I was a weekend binge drinker and had already been sober for six weeks when I began using this. Now after three months I have zero urges at all. I should reach my weight target in about a month and my eating is under control, but if the alcohol cravings return I will try to find a low dose that still works for that.

PlainAlder11archive1d

I am also on a maintenance dose, though at six and eight milligrams, and I am still slowly losing the subcutaneous belly fat even after coming down from ten milligrams. I never lost my taste for beer but at the higher dose I could only manage two before feeling full. Now I can drink a couple more on occasion, yet it is still far less than before I started in January and it has not affected my weight, which I appreciate.

SharpMarble40archive1d

One of the main reasons I started this was to cut back on drinking. For over twenty years I have been drinking more than I wanted in a functional way, which also caused weight ups and downs. Almost right away it reduced my interest in alcohol and I expect that effect to keep getting stronger as the dose increases. Like the original poster I am wondering whether people who get this benefit will need to stay on a maintenance dose.

NorthWillow72archive1d
↳ replying to @SharpMarble40

They keep discovering additional benefits from these GLP-1 medications. This one is not studied as much as the other, but it will probably share many of the same effects. Research on the other showed that people who stopped not only regained a lot of the lost weight but ended up with a higher fat percentage. Stopping and restarting also reduced how well the previous doses had worked. I plan to treat this the same way I treat my heartburn medication. I cannot always tell exactly what either one is doing, but I am no longer carrying extra weight and I do not get heartburn.

ClearWillow37archive1d
↳ replying to @CopperAlder25 (opening post)

If a low dose ends up quieting the cravings for you, I can see it serving as a temporary tool while you work on your relationship with substances. It would not be the permanent solution, just a period of breathing room. Reduced cravings can give space to do the deeper work around self-acceptance, values, and what purpose those substances were filling.

↳ replying to @ClearWillow37

I have reached my goal weight, though I am considering dropping a bit more just because. I am going to stay on my current dose because I like how it affects my relationship with food. I can still eat but usually not as much. This past weekend I ate more while celebrating and gained a couple pounds, but that is not an issue since I will likely lose it during the week because I do not get strong food cravings at this dose. What is not to like about that? I can easily picture staying on this dose with occasional small adjustments up or down as needed, basically forever.

↳ replying to @SharpMarble40

I suspect the answer is yes. We are using a treatment that started out for weight loss but turns out to have many other benefits, and those benefits only last as long as we keep taking it.

CopperAlder25archive1d

I'm thinking about beginning therapy to address how I've been overusing alcohol and other substances. It's not anything extreme or that would raise eyebrows, but it's stuff I'd rather leave behind now. Appreciate all the thoughtful posts from everyone.

CopperAlder51archive1d

I reached my third target a few months back and switched into maintenance. Alcohol used to be a real problem for me, but I've basically quit for more than a year thanks to this. That's the real win here. I've tried a couple beers once in a while, yet even that feels like too much and the next day makes me question why I bothered. Hoping my current level keeps the urges away completely, and I'd stay on it long term if that's what it takes just for that benefit.

GreyFenwick31archive1d

Having seen how alcohol has hurt so many connections in my own life, I'm really glad so many here are getting such strong results from these meds in making big shifts. It genuinely moves me that they can support so many toward staying sober. It makes me emotional thinking about how much good this can do. Keep going strong, and I hope everyone succeeds with this tough goal. You're worth the effort.

RustMarble79archive1d

Nice work on the changes. Similar here with tirze where I haven't wanted a drink and the urge itself has faded too. If the cost stays reasonable, locking in that lower maintenance level to handle those cravings seems like a clear win worth aiming for.

PlainAlder11archive19h

Pretty much what I've been doing by splitting between those two levels. Staying at the higher one would mean dropping weight too fast. The mirror shows the belly fat is still coming off slowly while the scale holds steady. I'm starting to see some shape coming through in my arms and midsection. My legs were never an issue and I skip checking the back view.

RustTimber42archive18h

I didn't have much to drop but the way this cuts alcohol cravings came as a total surprise. Went from drinking often to just a beer or two weekly. There was a stretch where the three of us would finish a big case daily and it was hard to break because we kept enabling each other. The first couple days on this flipped everything and the urges vanished. The health upside from that change feels bigger than the thirty pounds. Now I get both. When I reach my target and test lower levels, one goal will be keeping those cravings down.

GreyFenwick31archive16h
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

I agree it seems to be trimming my middle. My stomach looks smaller since starting. It might just stand out more because of the overall loss, but lately when getting ready I notice less of a pinch at the injection spot. Feels like progress.

GreyFenwick31archive16h
↳ replying to @RustTimber42

It is strange. I never saw myself as having an issue with it since I was too worried about going too far, yet it's so built into how people socialize that skipping it feels off. I used to enjoy tailgates with a few to loosen up and have fun, but now that the interest is gone it feels odd to consider one just for the sake of it. Same when meeting friends. Wine was my usual but it doesn't appeal, so a beer works for a bit then I'm done.

WryThistle31archive5h
↳ replying to @RustTimber42

Pretty much the same experience here. It didn't just remove the pull toward alcohol but also the urge to finish off a whole tub of ice cream plus chips right after.

Interesting angle on it acting like something that eases anxiety. Now that you mention it, that could be accurate. Might need to rethink how long I continue.

↳ replying to @QuietHarbour72

Just keep going with it long term. Looks like a simple decision without any real downside.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.