Forum › Mind & Motivation

How Anhedonia from Reta Has Affected Users

29 replies16 peopleSep 27, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

how does anhedonia from reta or glp-1s affect people and do they like or hate it

Users report mixed reactions to the emotional flattening some experience on Reta. A few find it reduces anxiety, ADHD symptoms, and unwanted urges in a positive way, while others say it removes drive for chores, work, and relationships. Several note that hobbies can still bring enjoyment even if anticipation fades, and the effect is often described as temporary or dose-dependent.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether the described numbing qualifies as true anhedonia if any activities still bring pleasure, and whether it should be treated with other medication

Still open

Long-term outcomes after stopping or lowering the dose, and the best way to manage unwanted motivational loss

Nothing here is advice.

29 replies · 16 people
RustAlder52archiveopening post3d

I'm curious how others experience the lack of pleasure that some get from Reta. A few seem to like it while others really don't. For me it's been great and almost life changing because my anxiety and ADHD have both eased up. It actually worries me a bit how much I enjoy the feeling. Once I hit my goal weight I plan to bulk for muscle and will probably need to lower or stop the dose, and I'm nervous about losing that effect. My therapist suggested seeing a psychologist about other meds that might give something similar, but I've never been interested in trying antidepressants. I'd like to hear from anyone else who's dealing with this side effect.

↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

If you're enjoying the feeling from Reta then it isn't anhedonia.

RustAlder52archive3d
↳ replying to @BrightSignal52

Whatever that numbing sensation is that quiets my ADHD and eases my anxiety, I'm enjoying it.

↳ replying to @RustAlder52

GLP-1 meds cross the blood-brain barrier and act on pathways that control emotion, stress, and reward. Both anxiety changes and anhedonia come from this action but show up differently. Anxiety effects vary a lot depending on someone's starting mental health, dose, and how their body adapts. Some people get less anxiety because food noise and impulsive urges drop, and the meds can lower neuroinflammation and help regulate stress responses. Others get more anxiety from GI side effects or blood sugar shifts.

WarmLantern16archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

Have you got your ADHD meds figured out? It finally clicked for me at 45 and felt pretty life changing.

Maybe look into tesofensine, it gives me that flattening effect.

I usually have plenty of energy and enthusiasm. If the GLP anhedonia effect came as a prescription my partner would probably pin me down and give me the shots herself.

PlainAlder11archive3d

I see it more as feeling bored or losing interest and getting lazy. I had it for a while at 6 mg but it went away. Now I have ambition and energy again, and losing 60 lbs probably helped.

IronLantern24archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

This thing calms down my nervousness which makes me appreciate it. On the flip side it blocks me from taking care of what must be handled. I feel zero motivation these days so all parts of my existence are declining.

RustAlder52archive3d
↳ replying to @BrightSignal52

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Maybe the thread should have been about general mental health effects on Reta instead of just anhedonia. For some reason I felt they were all linked. It feels connected though. Before Reta I was into porn and alcohol, and both desires went to zero. I also used to worry constantly about a girl I'm seeing and that stopped too. All of it has been positive for me and I feel really focused. My interest in football and comics stayed the same though.

WryFenwick45archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

Reta pushes my anxiety way up but that's fine, we're old friends. It's interesting how differently it hits everyone. I'm also not sure if what I'm feeling is anhedonia or just getting lazy now that the kids are gone and I'm not working. Inertia can sneak up fast if you're not careful.

IronKettle44archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

I'm a recovering alcoholic but still addicted to sugar. When I took Reta the main thing I noticed was my resting heart rate jumped eight points and my HRV dropped a lot. I've read that higher doses or adaptation can make it go away. The real anhedonia I felt was in my sex drive. It wasn't total but it was enough that I switched back to Tirzepatide. Maybe my brain is only willing to give up so many pleasures. It's strange how effects differ but the most common ones are anhedonia, higher RHR, lower HRV, and losing interest in sex, weed, drinking, and junk food.

IronKettle44archive3d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Do you think losing 60 lbs makes the body want to conserve energy and stay less active? I'm down 50 lbs and if I push a deficit too hard for a few days my motivation drops a lot.

I've been on GLPs for nearly five years straight with only a short break. I've also watched many others. What people call anhedonia is often just the awkward shift from a familiar state of overdoing things to eventually finding satisfaction with less. That only becomes obvious later.

↳ replying to @IronLantern24

Same here. It feels bad because I'm not pulling my weight. I stretched doses to two weeks recently and suddenly had energy for cooking and cleaning that had been missing for months. It felt good to be useful again. Then I got back to my weight goal and here I am doing nothing. It's embarrassing and I'm letting my husband down even though he doesn't say it.

PlainAlder11archive3d
↳ replying to @IronKettle44

No idea, but the low motivation only lasted a short time. Maybe it was the summer heat, who knows.

IronKettle44archive3d
↳ replying to @PlainAlder11

Yeah it could be. Weight loss and energy levels seem to ebb and flow. You're in Florida so my Wisconsin body is scared just thinking about that heat. Have a good one.

RustAlder52archive3d
↳ replying to @IronKettle44

My interest in porn and masturbation dropped off a cliff but my desire for actual sex hasn't changed. I'm worried that if I go higher on the dose I might run into that problem and my girlfriend wouldn't be okay with it.

IronKettle44archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52

Depending on where both people are with their sex drives that can definitely hurt a relationship. The last girl I dated matched me on drive while the one before her had none, possibly because she was on birth control which has a kind of hormone effect similar to certain steroids.

SlowLantern29archive3d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52 (opening post)

I'd be careful about ruling out antidepressants completely. Treatment options have improved and become more varied. Older tricyclics can work but sometimes have more side effects. Newer SSRIs and SNRIs are different and often tried first. Other meds might fit depending on symptoms and history. There's no single answer and finding the right one or deciding against meds can take time. A good prescriber will go over benefits, risks, and alternatives. Psychologists don't prescribe, so see a psychiatric nurse practitioner or psychiatrist for medication management. Primary care doctors can prescribe but may not fine-tune as well. You don't have to commit to anything just by talking about options. Good care should be collaborative.

RustAlder52archive3d
↳ replying to @IronKettle44

Yeah this girl and I will literally pull over on a long drive to have sex real quick. She's even more into it than I am so she definitely wouldn't accept my drive dropping.

IronKettle44archive2d
↳ replying to @RustAlder52

That's creative and awesome. I salute that kind of sex drive in a woman.

AmberAlder67archive2d
↳ replying to @CopperPebble16

I don't think a reduced libido matches up with the idea being discussed.

↳ replying to @AmberAlder67

My thoughts exactly. Anhedonia is loss of joy and lowered sexual drive is often the first sign.

GreyAlder96archive2d

I have some but it's subtle. I still enjoy hobbies but my social energy is lower. During the workday it's fine but after work I want to be left alone. It might have caused me to stop talking to a few women or end relationships early because it just felt meh. Maybe there would have been more chemistry without the anhedonia.

↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

If you're still enjoying your hobbies then it's probably not anhedonia since you can still find joy somewhere.

GreyAlder96archive2d
↳ replying to @BrightSignal52

I'm no expert but I don't think it has to be all or nothing to count as anhedonia. Motivation to start hobbies is gone so I have to push myself to begin, then I enjoy them once I'm doing it. I love mountain biking and still do it when the weather and time work out, but instead of looking forward to it I treat it like a chore. Once I'm going I enjoy it. Emotions are also flatter. Things that used to bring excitement or dread now just feel like eh.

It shows up differently for everyone. Dopamine affects executive function which has seven different parts so the impact varies. Some people actually welcome not caring as much, similar to how some women in menopause see it as a break. I still recommend getting a professional opinion on medication. You're just collecting an informed view. Wellbutrin isn't an SSRI and could be worth discussing. Have a backup plan because if you stop the GLP-1 today it takes four weeks to clear and that's a long time to feel bad. We're heading into darker months in the northern hemisphere.

GreyFenwick31archive2d
↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

Yes, very similar feeling for me and it could be from tirz, reta, or both together. I even notice I'm more meh when talking to my daughters, who are my favorite people. Normally I have higher energy for life. It's not that I'm depressed, just less motivated and less intense.

PlainAlder11archive2d
↳ replying to @AmberAlder67

True, both my wife and I are in a dead zone for intimacy. Our age probably doesn't help. I'm seeing my urologist Thursday and will bring it up.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.