Forum › Training & Muscle

Weight lifting vs cardio

32 replies20 peopleOct 1, 2026☆ Follow
Summary

If I'm already weight training 4-5 times a week with heart rate above 120 bpm on GLP meds, do I still need separate cardio sessions to protect heart health and muscle?

Most participants say consistency matters more than perfect balance, and lifting with short rests can deliver meaningful cardio effects while preserving muscle. Several note family heart history or cholesterol concerns push them toward adding some dedicated cardio anyway. People who enjoy lifting tend to keep it at 3-5 sessions and add brisk walks or cycling on other days, while those who dislike cardio look for sustainable hybrids like rucking or shorter finishers.

What this discussion establishesWhere people disagree

Whether 3 lifting days plus 2 cardio days is necessary for muscle retention versus relying mostly on weights with elevated heart rate.

Still open

How much dedicated cardio is required to meaningfully lower personal heart-disease risk when already lifting intensely.

Nothing here is advice.

32 replies · 20 people
GreyLedger42archiveopening post1d

I understand exercise matters when using glps. From what I have read, weight training helps hold on to muscle. With my current plan of lifting four or five times a week for forty to forty five minutes while keeping heart rate above one twenty bpm, is separate cardio still required? If it is, I would like an explanation.

KeenKettle50archive1d

That view feels too simple. During steady cardio the heart rate stays high the whole time and oxygen needs remain steady. Lifting creates short spikes in effort followed by drops.

GreyLedger42archive1d

I only have forty five minutes a day. I want to keep weights first but wonder whether to split each session, drop to three lifting days and add cardio on the other two, or follow another pattern others have tried. I still have eight pounds left to reach my current goal and want to keep muscle while making the plan last.

GreyAlder96archive1d

Without a special target beyond general health, choose whatever you can stick with and like doing. Regular effort beats an ideal plan. If weights feel better, do more of them; if cardio appeals, still aim for at least two and preferably three lifting sessions.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

I agree that sticking with it long term is what counts. My worry is whether skipping extra walking leaves my heart under-protected, since heart disease runs in the family. At the same time I know losing muscle raises the chance of falls and broken bones later, so I am trying to plan ahead.

Some suggest shortening rests between sets to hold heart rate above one thirty, but that has not worked for most of my lifts. My middle ground is biking to the gym when the weather is good. On bad days I use the exercise bike or elliptical even though I do not enjoy it. I have also seen people swing kettlebells for functional work but have not taken to it myself.

PlainAnchor67archive1d

I lift three days and cycle two or three days. Unless the goal is a marathon or long ride, extra cardio does not need to be extreme. One session is hard intervals and the other is easier zone two; weekend group rides sometimes include faster sections.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @SteadyLedger49

My watch labels every resistance session as functional training. I already shorten rests to keep the heart rate elevated and usually finish with an average above one twenty nine once the first few sets are done.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @PlainAnchor67

Would dropping to three lifting days and adding two cardio days work? I am not into biking and not training for a marathon, though my wife and I did a ten k earlier. I do walk at a brisk pace aiming for one twenty plus bpm. Is three lifting sessions enough to hold muscle while on a glp?

GreyAlder96archive1d
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

You might like rucking, which is just walking while carrying a weighted pack.

WarmCompass27archive1d

A recent statement notes that resistance training can improve muscle and strength while also helping cardiovascular health and risk factors. It is considered safe for people with or without existing heart conditions. I recall similar findings for high intensity training when effort stays high enough to keep breathing heavy between sets.

It depends on personal goals and current health markers. My doctor wants five cardio sessions a week because of high cholesterol, so I am trying to add more even though I have a shoulder issue. Blood work showed some improvement but levels are still high. I sit at a desk all day and most hobbies are screen based, so I am currently at three lifting days and two cardio days with plans to reach four cardio sessions.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @LevelHarbour53

Thanks, that helps. I also sit at a desk but still reach the gym most mornings, even on trips. I play volleyball one night a week so I am not completely inactive, though most other hobbies are outdoors.

If cardio is wanted but time is tight, do thirty minutes of lifting with shorter rests then finish with fifteen minutes of cardio. That is not ideal but fits the schedule. I separate the two because lifting leaves me too tired for more; I lift heavy five days and add cardio at least three times.

WryBramble37archive1d

When I added cardio I noticed better muscle gains. Even while on a glp, hitting protein targets is still required to keep or build muscle.

AmberCinder18archive1d
↳ replying to @GreyAlder96

Same here. I would rather spend an hour lifting than fifteen minutes on cardio.

AmberPebble67archive1d

I have exercised most of my life. Last year I cycled thousands of kilometers, lifted twice a week, cooked at home daily, yet still gained fat because of strong sugar and carb cravings. Once I started the medication the food noise disappeared and body composition improved quickly at a moderate dose. Later progress stalled and switching compounds restarted the loss. Even with high activity, exercise alone did not drive the weight change, but it did help protect muscle.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @WryBramble37

I track everything in an app and focus on protein even if calories go slightly over. Weight is still coming down so the small overrun is not a concern right now.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @AmberCinder18

I would rather skip both, but I know I have to do them so I keep showing up.

GreyLedger42archive1d
↳ replying to @AmberPebble67

That matches what I am doing. I stop short of failure but keep getting stronger. I have not seen much size increase, though I have not been taking progress photos either.

AmberMeadow80archive1d
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42

I switched to rock climbing because lifting felt repetitive. The problem solving aspect kept me interested. I used to run distances but grew tired of it and now just walk. Finding activities that stay interesting matters more than the perfect routine. Yoga works for the same reason.

WryHarbour43archive1d

All else equal I lean toward more lifting while losing weight because lost muscle is harder to regain than cardio fitness. Lifting itself already gives some heart benefit. Gaining strength during a cut is a good sign. Being consistent with both is what really drives results, so the plan should stay enjoyable. In hindsight I wish I had kept a bit more cardio balance early on, but the right mix also depends on individual goals.

PatientWillow17archive16h

If neither weights nor cardio appeal, look for an active hobby such as hiking, martial arts, a fitness class, or yoga. What can be maintained matters more than what is theoretically best. I still favor lifting and running even though I dislike running, but any program that gets dropped will not help.

WarmLantern16archive15h
↳ replying to @AmberMeadow80

I have the same experience. Right now an injury keeps me from most activity, though I force one swim session a week. Trail running is what I actually enjoy because of the setting; indoor cardio feels much worse.

AmberMeadow80archive15h
↳ replying to @WarmLantern16

When I ran, trails were the best part. I did cross country in school and the woods were the reason I kept going.

WarmLantern16archive14h
↳ replying to @AmberMeadow80

I understand. Getting up early to run through an empty industrial area is done for the benefits rather than love of the activity. It is interesting how school cross country was something I disliked for years.

BrightCompass57archive14h

It depends on how committed someone wants to be. The current routine already looks solid. I have been going every day for months with heavy sets plus an hour or more of cardio and results are showing, so goals shape the approach too.

AmberMeadow80archive10h
↳ replying to @BrightCompass57

That schedule sounds like it could lead to injury. Rest days are worth including. Glad the goals are being met though.

↳ replying to @AmberMeadow80

With the compounds I am on there is no need for rest days.

IronKettle44archive5h
↳ replying to @GreyLedger42 (opening post)

Holding heart rate above one twenty for forty minutes of lifting is serious intensity. I do zone two jogging a few days a week plus fifteen thousand steps at work that also involves physical tasks. I lean toward more cardio because it lowers resting heart rate and improves recovery metrics, and the after effect feels good. Results will vary for others.

PlainAnchor17archive5h

Vegetables and cardio both matter. The return is decent even with modest effort, though both feel like chores that some people try to avoid.

RustQuill56archive5h

Many people improve fitness just by walking daily. I began with short walks and built to three miles, then added strength work twice a week. Now life has me alternating strength days with occasional walks. I avoid running because I dislike it. A balanced plan for me would be walking most days and strength every other day, with some built in movement from home workouts. Muscle mass supports long term health and daily function, so I would put strength ahead of heavy cardio volumes.

GreyAnchor47archive2h

I have always used a rebounder and now that my weight is lower I enjoy it even more, at least four times a week.

Related discussions

Add your experience

If you have tried it, this topic is still open. Sign in to reply — it takes a minute.